Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

aw wrote: »
    This is going to be upstairs in the old McDonagh Building on Merchants Road.
    Upstairs over where Meadows & Byrne and the Woollen Mills are.

Stroke of genius or pure folly? I am undecided.

I've always thought this amazing art-deco space would be a fabulous setting for a bar/restaurant. Can't wait to see what Tribeton create there. My vote is for stroke of genius if they get the menu and service right.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

I've always thought this amazing art-deco space would be a fabulous setting for a bar/restaurant. Can't wait to see what Tribeton create there. My vote is for stroke of genius if they get the menu and service right.

Agree it's a fabulous building slightly wasted - but what about the store? Are they limiting themselves to retail opening hours? In that case the cocktails may be fairly tame... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The (ex)Bentley reopening on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

Does anyone know what's happened to Mizzoni's? Are they closed for good or will they open again shortly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe in the Galway SC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

snubbleste wrote: »

Opening ? Closing ?

Well it is obviously opening as nobody seems to have heard of it before :)
    Looks like an old-fashioned shoppe too at the Supermacs end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Well it is obviously opening as nobody seems to have heard of it before :)
    Looks like an old-fashioned shoppe too at the Supermacs end

It's been open beside the meteor shop in the shopping centre for at least 18 months at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Get Biko to add /relocating to the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

D Trent wrote: »
    It's been open beside the meteor shop in the shopping centre for at least 18 months at this stage.

Longer I'd have thought,2/3 years surely.

• Advertisement

Longer I'd have thought,2/3 years surely.
    How come I never noticed it? Was it a concession stall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

No it was a shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How come I never noticed it? Was it a concession stall?

Take a look at Biko's current .sig for a clue ...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

McGettigans (Cuba/Bentley) should be open now, was to open at 7pm this evening.

From the outside it looks like a really tacky Irish bar. Hopefully they made a better attempt at the interior, they did a great job with their bar in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

There's a few photos of inside on their fb page

Doesn't look bad but if the taps are anything to go by it won't be good.

Very Oirish. Will be interesting to see how they cope with the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Nox Hotel (the old Ibis hotel, beside Motorpark near the Kirwan roundabout/Liosban industrial estate) seemed to be having some sort of opening party tonight as I was driving past on Bothar na dTreabh. I presume they'll be opening for guests soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The Nox Hotel (the old Ibis hotel, beside Motorpark near the Kirwan roundabout/Liosban industrial estate) seemed to be having some sort of opening party tonight as I was driving past on Bothar na dTreabh. I presume they'll be opening for guests soon.

Next Wednesday is the first available date when booking a room there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Heartbroken it isn't a Wetherspoons

I hate the two White tacky 'McG' signs
    Wat are they about ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

God, that looks so cheap and tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Was invited to the opening of McGettigans last night. Christ, they know how to put on a party.

I like it, and will return. It's a pitty they didn't have a sample menu to show what food will be on offer.

Wishing them the best of luck... this is their 12th venue (with, I think, 3 more in the pipeline) so they know what they're at.

J o e wrote: »
    McGettigans (Cuba/Bentley) should be open now, was to open at 7pm this evening.

From the outside it looks like a really tacky Irish bar. Hopefully they made a better attempt at the interior, they did a great job with their bar in Letterkenny.

I agree the signage is OTT, but the inside is beautiful. It's not OTT, lovely smell of timber (for now). It's mainly dark colours, but well lit tables from above. It's certainly not your typical Irish pub imho. Also, the bar is pretty big, even when it was packed last night you weren't waiting more than a few seconds to get served (although there was no payment last night, so obviously quicker)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    God, that looks so cheap and tacky.

Still looks better than an empty disused building though!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Are they running a club upstairs or is it just the pub?

Are they running a club upstairs or is it just the pub?

Plan is to open upstairs. Apparently when it was The Bently, complaints came from the apartments behind as the (very) upstairs was playing bass'ey (is that a real word?) music late into the night... wasn't so much of an issue when it was Cuba as it was live music

Former Londis on High St now open again as subway.

Healy barbers across the road being totally re-fitted. not clear if they've closed, or just having a face-lift.

The old Toni and Guy on Augustine St being refitted for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

D Trent wrote: »
    Heartbroken it isn't a Wetherspoons

My daughter visited a Wetherspoons in Wales recently. A curry served with rice, nan bread, poppadums, chutney and a pint came to £5.50 or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I've had the misfortune of being dragged (kicking and screaming) to a "McG's" Oirish leprechaun lair every time I've had more than 24 hours in Dubai or Abu Dhabi for the last few years by well meaning colleagues and/or hosts.

I honestly hope the bar is nothing like their bars in the middle east because if they are you'll be over paying for generic lagers and Guinness (the lack of variety is jarring) and paying through the nose for pretty terrible food.

From the looks of the facebook photo's it's just a cookie cutter bar.

Just horrible soulless blandness. I'd rather sit in a sung in Neachtain's or Freeney's any day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement