Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've had the misfortune of being dragged (kicking and screaming) to a "McG's" Oirish leprechaun lair every time I've had more than 24 hours in Dubai or Abu Dhabi for the last few years by well meaning colleagues and/or hosts.

I honestly hope the bar is nothing like their bars in the middle east because if they are you'll be over paying for generic lagers and Guinness (the lack of variety is jarring) and paying through the nose for pretty terrible food.

From the looks of the facebook photo's it's just a cookie cutter bar.

Just horrible soulless blandness. I'd rather sit in a sung in Neachtain's or Freeney's any day.

They still haven't uploaded their menu :( Their food on the opening night was tasty and I believe was a sample as to what they'll be serving... just hope it isin't overpriced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... over paying for generic lagers and Guinness (the lack of variety is jarring) and paying through the nose for pretty terrible food.

From the looks of the facebook photo's it's just a cookie cutter bar.

Just horrible soulless blandness. I'd rather sit in a sung in Neachtain's or Freeney's any day.

Indeed I'm with you there.

But McG's will be perfect for those tourists who ask where then can find an Irish pub, and then look at you funny when you way "Ahh, you're in Ireland, every pub is an Irish pub".

Had a pint in McGettigans last night and wasn't really impressed. First off the selection of beer is small and made up the most generic of beers imaginable, now that's not necessarily a major issue though the fact that they charge 5 euro a pint is. I really can't see it being a place where people regularly go and imagine that it's going to be a very touristy spot.

Lot of people have been commenting on how good the place looks but to me it was far too garish, it's all very neon vomit feels like they just lumped all they could get into the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

As for McGettigans, seems a weird place to have in Ireland. Very much the Irish pub abroad feel to it. Seems expensive and non-studenty so don't know how they'll cope in the college year unless they change the script. At least the generic commercial taps will keep 'that' crowd out. Might be worth frequenting for that reason alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭buzz11

New pharmacy called Healthwave opened on Sean Mulvoy road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Foley's Hop House, Woodquay, opening July 6 according to their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/foleyshophouse/info?tab=overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Sounds promising, that side of town has long missed anywhere with a good craft selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Jamaica Joes closed down. For rent sign on the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ciano1 wrote: »

I didn't want to diss it, but I'm not surprised. Was very unimpressed with the food from there

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

Was told Saturday about 8pm that they had run out of food...thought something was up!!!Never got to try the menu :(

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Word on the street (from usually reliable sources) is that it's yet another chain, the guy has a few Irish restaurants that also serve beer in the states.

Also Golden Cafe has opened in the unit in Middle St that Sana charity shop used to be in.

And Cosmo Cafe (in the Cornstore) is "closed for renovations, opening soon under new management" - or similar wordign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Wha, they are still advertising on groupon
    www.groupon.ie/deals/dealbank_en_ie/jamaica-joe-s-2/65287667

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Well whoever it is hopefully it does better than the last few failed attempts, that place has been a curse for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Well whoever it is hopefully it does better than the last few failed attempts, that place has been a curse for years.

I'd say it's a tough place to have a restaurant now. I wonder how Dough Bro's does during the day.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'd say it's a tough place to have a restaurant now. I wonder how Dough Bro's does during the day.

They dont open during the day and are wedged the rest of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭Wompa1

They dont open during the day and are wedged the rest of the time.

Smart. I went in when I was back in Galway a few weeks ago. They weren't too busy but it was the middle of the day on a Sunday so that might have been why

Are they any good? Always been put off by the name tbh

Intifada wrote: »
    Are they any good? Always been put off by the name tbh

Dough Bros? Superb pizza, as authentic as youll get. If youre a fan of Dominos, Goodfellas etc then its not for you. Yes i am a pizza snob.

Dough Bros? Superb pizza, as authentic as youll get. If youre a fan of Dominos, Goodfellas etc then its not for you. Yes i am a pizza snob.
    Had a look at some of the photos on their FB and it does look quite good. Shame about the rest of the pics :pac: think I'll stick with Pizza Napoli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Intifada wrote: »
    Had a look at some of the photos on their FB and it does look quite good. Shame about the rest of the pics :pac: think I'll stick with Pizza Napoli

Your loss!

• Advertisement

Word on the street (from usually reliable sources) is that it's yet another chain, the guy has a few Irish restaurants that also serve beer in the states.

Also Golden Cafe has opened in the unit in Middle St that Sana charity shop used to be in.

And Cosmo Cafe (in the Cornstore) is "closed for renovations, opening soon under new management" - or similar wordign.
    Closed within two months id say, they werent open at 1030 this morning when i walked by, in spite of breakfast being written above the window, you would wonder why some people bother going into business.

Also noticed that the former fake Italian place on Abbeygate St beside the old Sweetie Pies (name escapes me) is now called Brunch Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

Mizzoni's to open under new management, closed for renovations according to notice on window.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Forster court hotel closed, a4 sheets in window saying closed until further notice and a landline number to contact.

Forster court hotel closed, a4 sheets in window saying closed until further notice and a landline number to contact.

I think that's due to a flood a week or so back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I think that's due to a flood a week or so back.

It is indeed only just got the info there. Haven't been through that side for a while. Bad timing for them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Q Money Financial Consultants open on Sean Mulvoy Road, business and personal cost comparisons for utilities (phone & electricity), insurance, financial planning etc.

Qualified Financial Advisers in office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Le Petit Pois restaurant is opening tomorrow in Victoria Place. Unlike many other new restaurants that set up a website with no information whatsoever on it, Le Petit Pois have a fully functioning website with menus and even an online booking facility http://lepetitpois.ie/?page_id=2 .

I’ve enjoyed previous restaurants in that location, I hope it’s a great success for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

From what Brendan is saying they will be reopening elsewhere before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I'm trying to work out if the windows in the Corrib Great Southern have been replaced recently. I could swear that there were visibly broken ones in most places. Just wondering if this is a sign that the building is about to be used for something else.

• Advertisement

Stevolende wrote: »
    I'm trying to work out if the windows in the Corrib Great Southern have been replaced recently. I could swear that there were visibly broken ones in most places. Just wondering if this is a sign that the building is about to be used for something else.

I will guess that this is part of the annual "tidy the place up" thing that happens around town on derelict buildings before the races influx..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement