Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

O'Hehirs bakery and cafe opening a new place in the city centre, I'll come back with exact location

Pascal coffee house opening cafe no. 2 where the Grainstore Kitchen was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

wooza pizza joint on sea road,sign went up recently

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭martini1

snubbleste wrote: »
    Was in the new Dealz at lunch...it was wedged.
    It is odd to see a pound shop in a place that I associate with the Revenue/Financial Services :cool:

sign of the times perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

snubbleste wrote: »
    Was in the new Dealz at lunch...it was wedged.
    It is odd to see a pound shop in a place that I associate with the Revenue/Financial Services :cool:

I thought the same thing, even when Born & that Christmas shop were in it. The building just doesn't seem right for retail. I was trying to check the history of it but can't come up with anything.

Delicia wrote: »
    I thought the same thing, even when Born & that Christmas shop were in it. The building just doesn't seem right for retail. I was trying to check the history of it but can't come up with anything.
    The building is named Hibernian House - it used to be the office of Aviva / Hibernian Insurance.

There isn't much demand for city center office space for the likes of that anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The building is named Hibernian House - it used to be the office of Aviva / Hibernian Insurance.

There isn't much demand for city center office space for the likes of that anymore.
    Yeah - Aviva's sales is done from a call centre in Knocknacarra and customer support is done from a call centre in India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Saw on my way to work this morning that the old lantern bar in ballybane is being refurbished. Anyone know whats going on? Huge hinterland to draw customers from if only they could attract the right type of customer with the right type of product.

Eastwood bar still closed in Doughiska. Surely someone could make a go of it given the large population with so many nurses, guards having bought in the area.

The Clayton bar is poor with little else nearby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Better suited here OP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Did the Lantern not reopen a couple of years ago? Pass there every day and hadn't noticed it had closed again, are you sure they're not just doing it up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I loved the last eastwood, nicely run. Its simply the crowd, alot of nice people there but the odd time you'll get trouble. And because in doughiska, people continue to hold those associations.

• Advertisement

No the Lantern has been up for rent for a while now, Mullery auctioneers i think but i may be wrong.

The Eastwood was a fine bar but as you say, i think people wrongly associated it with a bad clientele. I think the previous management were nice but perhaps didnt do enough to promote the bar..i'd saymost people in places like an fiodan never set foot in the place.

How have others found the clayton bar? Obviously a hotel bar will never have a local vibe but i have found the service very poor anytime i have been in. As for watching a match there..forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »
    Did the Lantern not reopen a couple of years ago? Pass there every day and hadn't noticed it had closed again, are you sure they're not just doing it up a bit?

Yes, it did re-open a couple of years ago with a different official name (rumour'edly for tax-purposes).

Closed again a while ago, hard to pinpoint exactly when, it didn't look that different from the outside.

Rumour around town is that someone who has been running a high profile venue down the West is coming out of there and going in to the Lantern. No idea how true it is, not naming names without evidence.

Fumigation was definitely happening in the Lantern one day late last week or early this week.

Rumour around town is that someone who has been running a high profile venue down the West is coming out of there and going in to the Lantern. No idea how true it is, not naming names without evidence.

Sounds good, hopefully its an experienced operator

Wasn't the Lantern known for having a very dodgy crowd going there?

I had that impression too but then having never been inside, who am i to say ;)

On the other hand, long-term Brothers of Charity residents whose behaviour was too challenging for other places were apparently able to go there. Can't have been all bad.

(Based on what I've heard from pretty good sources, I've never been in the place myself.)

I had friends who used to work in the Xtravision there, which I believe is gone now (?), and heard some absolute horror stories there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Rumoured to be opening on Monday. As previously mentioned it will be managed by a very experienced operator who has previously been in at least one premises where the clientele was somewhat similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

I'm told the rumours of who's taking it over the man that's runs the biggest premises back the west are false . We will just have to wait and see I guess

Outside has had a paint job today - looking very red.

Having it open just in time for race week could be very interesting indeed. Put up a few signs, lure in a few visitors ... could be a fascinating combination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Yes, it did re-open a couple of years ago with a different official name (rumour'edly for tax-purposes).

That rumour sounds very incorrect. No tax reasons at all to reopen / lease an old bar out

Never read the word rumour repeated so often on a thread. Maybe they are just that and not worth repeating repeatedly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

No offence to Dealz (I know nothing about them) but the last thing Galway needs is low-end retail in the city centre.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/oconnell-street-should-be-the-pride-of-the-city-not-the-site-of-knickers-shops-30783676.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    No offence to Dealz (I know nothing about them) but the last thing Galway needs is low-end retail in the city centre.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/oconnell-street-should-be-the-pride-of-the-city-not-the-site-of-knickers-shops-30783676.html

Ya as the demand for it is so low and none of the 30 jobs created are any use to anyone, close it up!!!

Why? Low end has its place, and nothing else has beeb able to make use of that site.

If all city centre shops were high end tourist ones, locals would simply go elsewhere.

was in there last night! Its a bit off the beaten tracks, but you know, its a good thing, I walked out of the eyre sq centre last night and the its horrible to see units empty and dirty looking!

All kinds of stores for all kinds of people!

Has anyone used the wooza pizza place on sea road! unusual frontage on it, kinds old style! Its handy to pick up pizza there, so looking for a positive review first!

I find Dealz to be great for what it is, they don't sell low end products but rather they sell many items tat you'd find in Tesco and Dunness only at a fraction of the price. It's not some grubby little store but rather a well stocked and clean one which creates jobs and will bring a lot of foot traffic to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Permanent tsb closed in the shopping centre and so is the atm.

Is that now 1 atm between the shopping centre and retail park

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

swiftman wrote: »

The sh1tty Ulster Bank one in the SC and theres a small one in the cinema isnt there? Is the Permanent branch not just being refitted?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement