Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Stevolende wrote: »
    Saw 2 new paces on the bus stop side of Eyre Square over the last weekend. Charity shop NCBI in the premises that once held the NTL office and something else since but has sat empty for a while with advertising over the window.

Also a new coffee shop has been fitted out and had sign put up down towards the corner, at least I'd never seen that before so I think it's brand new.

Are you referring to 11 Eyre Square (next to Garveys hotel) for the coffee shop? According to below, an "international" chain are taking it. Did the sign you spotted give any clue as to which chain?

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/78678/big-changes-taking-place-in-eyre-square

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Scholar's rest is closing? Always been busy whenever i've gone in

I thought they've enough business from hospital etc. as it's the only decent place for a bite to eat in the area.

And isn't there already a bookies two or three doors up?
    When and where did he indicate Scholars Rest is closing ?

The owner of a bookies is allowed purchase a pub/eatery aswell believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mulholland sold 6 branches to paddy power. These maybe some of them.

Yep
    Paddy Power given approval to buy 6 Mulholland betting offices

Paddy Power has been given competition clearance to buy 6 Mulholland bookmakers shops in Galway city and county.

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission approved an application for the purchase of 6 Mulholland betting shops saying it would ‘not substantially lessen’ competition in the sector.

If the sales go ahead, they would bring the number of Paddy Power outlets across the country to 230.

Mulholland bookmakers, which has been operating in Galway since 1935, has a total of 15 betting shops

Courtesy: GBFM

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Stevolende wrote: »
    Saw 2 new paces on the bus stop side of Eyre Square over the last weekend.

Also a new coffee shop has been fitted out and had sign put up down towards the corner, at least I'd never seen that before so I think it's brand new.

https://m.facebook.com/esquirescoffeehousesireland?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fesquirescoffeehousesireland&_rdr
    It's going to be 'Esquires Coffee'
    They opened one in Navan recently

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I can still remember when the scholars took over from the riverside. first thing they did was get rid of the betting slips from the bar, best thing that ever happened to the place. Nothing puts me off more than a bunch of old lads slowly sipping a glass watching the races hoping for the next winner so they can buy the next drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

D Trent wrote: »
    When and where did he indicate Scholars Rest is closing ?

The owner of a bookies is allowed purchase a pub/eatery aswell believe it or not.

I though scholar's rest was owned outright by the Galway Bay Brewery lads so I assumed when he said it was bought by Mullholands that they would be changing the business.

Going by the snarkiness in your answer I am guessing they actually rent the premises so it makes sense in that context

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

It's interesting, wonder how good business is on that side of the square. That should be good for the station I guess but it just seems that a lot of places that open down that side of the square close. Or does it, maybe I'm just looking at a few years where there seems to have been next to nothing there.
    Not sure how successful that buy gold for cash etc pawnshop was when it was there but it does seem to have been gone for a while and whatever moves into the Pharmacy/Newsagent place at the top does seem not to last very long. I assume the 4 pubs along there are all doing pretty well though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

What I am told is the lease is up in scholars.. It will close for approximately a week or so towards the end of this month to have a small refit. More when I get it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

And Toys4You are moving in next door to PTSB, the unit on the Tuam Road closed down the other day.

The newly relocated store opened over the past weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tigergirl

Whatever is happening to that Tucos Taquira place on Lower Abbygate? They said they were 'opening soon' and were looking staff back in May. It hasn't taken this long for other business's to open (56 and McGettigans for example) and there seems to be construction around the place now so you can't see the front part from a small gap where the place still looks empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Carpets and flooring have moved into the short lived n17 shop at Terryland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Would not be into coffee but there cakes and sandwiches look nice plus its not on a very busy street so hopefully there will be plenty of room in there to chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's going to be 'Esquires Coffee'
    They opened one in Navan recently

International chain, founded in Canada in 1993.

Ref. http://www.esquirescoffee.co.nz/about-us

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marty66

blond45 wrote: »
    Can some one tell me when did and why Sales cafe/eatery shut down in Edwards square shopping center? i don't go into the city that often ,but when i do i like to have some lunch to chill while waiting for friends, last week i got a shock to see it all gone,what happened?

Sadly the lady running the place got ill and died quite suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

The food was poor for a shopping centre eatery... Sad to hear it closed in a death but surely standards should be better. Great spot to arrange a meet up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Oh you mean Sails cafe. Never had a good experience there. Always nipped around to Insomnia which is also a nice spot to chill out. BK is another good spot to chill out, at least in the afternoon it's big enough that they don't mind seem to mind you loitering.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭martini1

Anyone know if the ClearOut place in Westside is closed or has relocated?

Was in the new Pascal Coffeehouse in Grainstore just opened today and they have it done really well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Forester Hotel closed until further notice

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

jh79 wrote: »
    Forester Hotel closed until further notice

Closed bout two months ago due to flooding or similar, never re-opened.

• Advertisement

westgolf wrote: »
    Closed bout two months ago due to flooding or similar, never re-opened.

Bar and restaurant never reopened, but upstairs is apparently still being used for students. If you look closely you can see instructions for them on one of the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭martini1

martini1 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the ClearOut place in Westside is closed or has relocated?

Just saw that the one on the Tuam road is no longer there either. Is there anywhere in Galway City to get cash for clobber?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

Meadows & Byrne merchants road. Signs up for closing down sale. Not sure if relocating.

Meadows & Byrne merchants road. Signs up for closing down sale. Not sure if relocating.

Unlikely to be relocating with that title of a sale. If they were moving would surely be stressing the new address ?

Tribeton restaurant / bar / cafe had an ad in Advertiser for staff, said they'd be opening in September.

This ties in with very well placed rumours I've heard elsewhere, these same rumours say it's going in above the (soon to be ex, apparently) Meadows and Burn premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Was just in there. The lady at the counter told me they were closing at the end of the week. 30% off sale going on, a few end bits at ~70% off. Anything not sold, and all fixtures etc, will be absorbed by other M&B stores, so not a huge closing down sale.

She said Tribeton was due to open by the end of the month. Ive been watching it on Facebook, looks like it will be a cool space

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Tribeton restaurant / bar / cafe had an ad in Advertiser for staff, said they'd be opening in September.

This ties in with very well placed rumours I've heard elsewhere, these same rumours say it's going in above the (soon to be ex, apparently) Meadows and Burn premises.
    Further clues can be found in the publicly available planning applications/notices and the marketing campaign that's been going on weeks on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The river inn is now called the sliding rock, mulhollands next door is now paddypowers and the old papa John's unit is to become a Mexican.

New shopfront and fittings going into the fire damaged petit rouge on domnics street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

westgolf wrote: »
    New shopfront and fittings going into the fire damaged petit rouge on domnics street.

It will be interesting to see what this turns out to be. A waiter from Rouge told me that the premises would no longer be Petit Rouge or have any connection at all with Rouge, as far as I could gather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement