Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Good luck to Colm and his staff. Great dealings with him .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Luckily on the burrito front, Tolteca is opening on the Newcastle road near the University, according to their Facebook. The chain has rave reviews with regards to their Dublin store so fingers crossed they will be better than Boojum.
    This place was wedged each day this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Not sure but I think it is in or near Odeon House

Its the Garveys side of O'Connells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Its the Garveys side of O'Connells.

Esquires Coffee? Are they the proprietors?

It's open 6 weeks now I would say

D Trent wrote: »
    Esquires Coffee? Are they the proprietors?

It's open 6 weeks now I would say

Yep that's them.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    This place was wedged each day this week.

I was in there Saturday evening and it was far from wedged, maybe 6 people in all. Passing yesterday afternoon and it was pretty empty too. Had Tucos on Wedensday past and found it pretty decent, the food tasted far fresher than Boojum and they were far more generous when it came to fillings. Last time I had Boojum I found it really poor, the standard in there has been slipping each time I've ate there and at this stage I'd find it hard to recommend to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

I was in there Saturday evening and it was far from wedged, maybe 6 people in all. Passing yesterday afternoon and it was pretty empty too. Had Tucos on Wedensday past and found it pretty decent, the food tasted far fresher than Boojum and they were far more generous when it came to fillings. Last time I had Boojum I found it really poor, the standard in there has been slipping each time I've ate there and at this stage I'd find it hard to recommend to anyone.

I actually had it again yesterday as I was with my gf and she is celiac. I had the Carnitas again. It was a great improvement on the week before. Rice was nicer which I think they changed from feedback. The GF had the chicken burrito which she liked. Found the medium sauce hot but she is a wimp when it comes to hot stuff so that's probably the reasoning there.

Galway is spoilt for choice at the moment. So many great places to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What's with all of the Mexican places opening up? When I left all we had was Tex Mex at Cactus Jacks and a not very authentic La Salsa.

When I moved to the Southwest, I had thought a good Mexican place would do well in Ireland and in Galway. Price it the same as a sandwich for a Burrito and you'd out the door at lunch. But now it seems to getting oversaturated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What's with all of the Mexican places opening up?

Boojum offered a decent burrito at a decent price and it caught on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

She said Tribeton was due to open by the end of the month. Ive been watching it on Facebook, looks like it will be a cool space

Apparently opened on Tuesday. Not sure if it's to the public yet, or just those invited to start with.

• Advertisement

Apparently opened on Tuesday. Not sure if it's to the public yet, or just those invited to start with.

Just a soft opening so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I see Mulhollands Eyre Sq have gone. Apparently another bookies are moving in. PP and Boyles already have a presence and I can't see Lads moving back there. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I see Mulhollands Eyre Sq have gone. Apparently another bookies are moving in. PP and Boyles already have a presence and I can't see Lads moving back there. Any ideas?

Paddy Powers have taken over some of mullhollands shops

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah, but they are already next door and planning on extending it so it's not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Yeah, but they are already next door and planning on extending it so it's not them.

are they extending into that shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Bar one meant to go into that one in eyre sq staff said.

Opening Monday morning next at 10am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

O'Heihir's just opened a cafe on the ground floor of Coach Station

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

How many cafes does Galway need?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I don't believe there's a quota, simply supply vs demand, competition helps raise standards too...but in any case, hardly applies to one situated in a coach station in order to capitalise on commuter trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Buddy74 wrote: »

How many pubs does it need?

I reckon shopfitters are the main winners in the cafe industry, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

How many pubs does it need?

I reckon shopfitters are the main winners in the cafe industry, though.

So true, with so many cafes opening and closing, the shopfitters must be laughing all the way to the bank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Buddy74 wrote: »

I think the people of galway are addicted to coffee
    I wonder how many cups are sold a day in the City
    No end to Demand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It's part of the planning for that building that there is a cafe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Shoplifting what? Little sugar packets?

Or do you mean straight theft of unattended bags, smartphones, and laptops?

Shoplifting what? Little sugar packets?

Or do you mean straight theft of unattended bags, smartphones, and laptops?
    Try reading that post again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Seems like you urgently need a coffee :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Saw that the new mexican across from the hospital, Tolteca was open on Sunday morning at 9am, doubt there's much demand at that hour in that location though, hope they get the business there!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

... Tolteca was open on Sunday morning at 9am, doubt there's much demand at that hour in that location though..

With A&E and a maternity unit across the road there might be some passing trade.

• Advertisement

Saw that the new mexican across from the hospital, Tolteca was open on Sunday morning at 9am, doubt there's much demand at that hour in that location though, hope they get the business there!

If they're doing a breakfast Burrito I can see them doing rather well, I'd certainly make the trek up some morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement