Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Starbucks is opening in Ceannt Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Starbucks is opening in Ceannt Station.
    Ah jaysus the whole country is going to be paved with Starbucks :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm glad something decent's taking over that little shop that was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I'm glad something decent's taking over that little shop that was there.

I'd much prefer if the Mocha Beans stall was kept there(or moved to where cafe is in there) as opposed to Starbucks

It's a galway city owned indigenous company.

Starbucks is a bleeding RIP OFF, it'll no longer be a novelty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Chinatown in Newcastle is closed :( Gutted inside... and i'm gutted inside too. I'm not a takeaway fan, but by god when the cravings came I was straight down there.

Anyone any idea what the story is?

New name on it so i suppose it is a shop closing and a shop opening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Chinese in Newcastle now called Jalan Jalan and has mostly the same as the old place plus more Asian type stuff. Has an online presence according to menu on window..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Chinese in Newcastle now called Jalan Jalan and has mostly the same as the old place plus more Asian type stuff. Has an online presence according to menu on window..

I didn't stop to check the menu, but hope they still do chicken szechuan (sp?) - it's the only place in Galway that did a nice one :(

From the looks of it, has a very Lana'esque look about it. Personally I preferred the cozyness of the old place, but ces't la vie

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

D Trent wrote: »
    I'd much prefer if the Mocha Beans stall was kept there(or moved to where cafe is in there) as opposed to Starbucks

It's a galway city owned indigenous company.

Starbucks is a bleeding RIP OFF, it'll no longer be a novelty

Mocha stall still there.

Starbucks signage on the larger cafe along with a sign saying closed til next Wednesday.

Mocha stall still there.

Starbucks signage on the larger cafe along with a sign saying closed til next Wednesday.

Oh I know Mocha Beans is still there, but mrsOBumble do you seriously think they will survive with this multinational opening their first store west of the shannon?

They simply won't be able to compete with the silly fanfare that Starbucks can admirably attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Oh I know Mocha Beans is still there, but mrsOBumble do you seriously think they will survive with this multinational opening their first store west of the shannon?

They simply won't be able to compete with the silly fanfare that Starbucks can admirably attract.

The thought of having to go into the bus station will be too much for some of the typical Starbucks fans.

Sometimes synergies can be gained by having two seemingly competing businesses next door: one cafe in a street is a cafe, two or three is "where all the cafes are" so more people go there overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is there not already a Starbucks in NUIG? I could have sworn there was one there, or at least a few years ago there was.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Is there not already a Starbucks in NUIG? I could have sworn there was one there, or at least a few years ago there was.

Franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Pillo hotel changed its name last week to maldron hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

J o e wrote: »
    The Falafel Bar is up on Facebook now, looks like they'll be opening very soon...

https://m.facebook.com/GalwayFalafel/

Had lunch here for the first time today. We got the mezza plate and it was absolutely savage. Try their coleslaw chips too, fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Unit beside tesco express on headford road being fitted out. T'was a chinese takeaway but closed up for some time. Looks to be another food venture again.
    Also ground floor of limerick steamship building is having a makeover. Sign on windows just says econiq, dont know if thats new name or contractors name. Always seems to be short term tenants in this one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

westgolf wrote: »
    Unit beside tesco express on headford road being fitted out. T'was a chinese takeaway but closed up for some time. Looks to be another food venture again.
    Also ground floor of limerick steamship building is having a makeover. Sign on windows just says econiq, dont know if thats new name or contractors name. Always seems to be short term tenants in this one ?

That unit beside tesco express is going to be Men At Wok, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Flemings Opel have opened their new show room after 20+? years of it being a hole in the ground.

I hear their underground car storage area is actually under the main road outside too but I'm unsure if that's correct.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Anyone been yet? Is it proper Starbucksselling bags of coffee, mugs etc or just a poor franchise ala NUIG??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

smurf492 wrote: »
    Anyone been yet? Is it proper Starbucksselling bags of coffee, mugs etc or just a poor franchise ala NUIG??
    Was going to pop over there today, but didn't get a chance, might go on Saturday and I'll report back.

Could devour one of those cinnamon swirls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Proper jobby....they've really improved the look of the place. They do stock mugs & gift hampers/cards aswell.

• Advertisement

xtradel wrote: »
    Proper jobby....they've really improved the look of the place. They do stock mugs & gift hampers/cards aswell.

Must pay a visit. Im prone to a Starbucks i must say!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Apologies for potato quality, but yeah... Actual, proper Starbucks in Galway.

12347729_10206888258377956_8022505188230223050_n.jpg?oh=6566c919514a919b63678e937ddf1b93&oe=5722766A&__gda__=1457096526_0f4e4fbd6b0eaa24d404d05c0f5d290c

We're movin' up in the world, finally! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Links234 wrote: »
    proper Starbucks

I'm not sure if that's an oxymoron or not.

now i am intrigued!!! :)

I'm not sure if that's an oxymoron or not.

I'll take a Starbucks brew over poxy Galway overpriced "americano's" anyday.

I'll take a Starbucks brew over poxy Galway overpriced "americano's" anyday.
    😂 the Irony
    Well thank christ you're one of the blind minority so.

I often stop off at Arabica liosban for a takeaway americano round 8am
    €2 for a large one. I rest my case

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

12347729_10206888258377956_8022505188230223050_n.jpg?oh=6566c919514a919b63678e937ddf1b93&oe=5722766A&__gda__=1457096526_0f4e4fbd6b0eaa24d404d05c0f5d290c

Didn't know they done chips :O

😂 the Irony
    Well thank christ you're one of the blind minority so.

I often stop off at Arabica liosban for a takeaway americano round 8am
    €2 for a large one. I rest my case

Well goody for you. But when i'm in town i don't fancy hopping on a bus to get one for €2. I also love that liking a brand these days makes me a "blind minority" Damn hipsters...

Well goody for you. But when i'm in town i don't fancy hopping on a bus to get one for €2. I also love that liking a brand these days makes me a "blind minority" Damn hipsters...

You mustn't get into town very often because there is an Arabica on Dominick St

• Advertisement

You mustn't get into town very often because there is an Arabica on Dominick St

Are you a shill for Arabica or something... One in salthill too but i dont go there either! or Knocnacarra....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement