Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm here all my life and I didn't know we had a Market Bonham Street, but we do :O

After some time googling which could have been much better spent - I think it is the short one way road between Merchants Road and Queen Street. By Mcdonaghs old building / the garage. An Post and the OSI don't recognise it.

Is it an archaic name?

Google suggests that is Forthill St.
    It also has the internal layout of the Eyre Square centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

westgolf must be very very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Woo hoo. Mrs O"Bumble, snubleste and others are all posters I look up to. And westgolf doesnt usually be the oracle of information either, but twas on here I first read that the short little street was bonham street..!

And no, I"m not that old !

• Advertisement

And where's Kearney's on the docks???
    It is the Texaco garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thinking about it, that street is very wide. Maybe it was two streets at one time with not much gap between the, and they kinda merged.

Thinking about it, that street is very wide. Maybe it was two streets at one time with not much gap between the, and they kinda merged.
    Areas that were used as markets tended to be wide depending on what was sold there.

The name Forthill Street appears on the Griffiths Valuation maps of 1855, and more recently on OSI. I've only seen Market Bonham St referenced on an archaeological survey report; I dont know its source. The 1840 map doesnt have a street as such there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

At a wild guess I'd say bonham is an anglicised spelling of of bonamh which would make sense if this was a market.. Pigs were kept in many places in the city years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

used to deliver post down there for a few years,never seen mail with that address,forthill ya,queen st ya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Strange given o'briens is two doors away.
    Confirmed. O’Brien’s off-licence in GSC is set to relocate to the former video store.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Coco Cafe in Salthill was open this morning when I was passing by, not sure if it opened at the weekend or this is it's first day back

The AGA store in Liosban is closed - a notice on the door refers people to their other stores in Dun Laoghaire or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Nexarz

Haven't seen anyone notice but new Design Shop / Cafe open in Quay street beside Artisan and that little pet shop called Coffeewerk + Press during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

The AGA store in Liosban is closed - a notice on the door refers people to their other stores in Dun Laoghaire or Cork.

Speaking of Liosban,did the Bankx ever reopen or turn into anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Saint_Mel wrote: »

nope
    for sale on it if you interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Almost everything seems to be closed down today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

flazio wrote: »
    Almost everything seems to be closed down today.
    Was that an attempt at humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Saint_Mel wrote: »

The kitchens seems to be used by some catering/event company the odd time.

• Advertisement

Don't know if it has been mentioned previously..new eatery type place opened near scholars rest. Jalan jalan (I think) twas previously a chinese for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

westgolf wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been mentioned previously..new eatery type place opened near scholars rest. Jalan jalan (I think) twas previously a chinese for a while.

Scholars rest is now the sliding Rock 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

westgolf wrote: »

Same people running it. As you might have noticed, a lot of mixed Asian type places opening up lately after Asian tea house. Chi, Men at wok, Lana, Papa rich, Jalan jalan, etc. Seems to be the trend like the burrito places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

G&L stores on Newcastle Road is closed today (shutters down). Is that just a temporary thing does anyone know?

serfboard wrote: »
    G&L stores on Newcastle Road is closed today (shutters down). Is that just a temporary thing does anyone know?

Closed today due to a bereavement in the family who own the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Following on from their success at Newcastle across from hospital
    Tolteca are opening another burrito place on Bridge st between World Choice travel and Seven bar

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

D Trent wrote: »
    Following on from their success at Newcastle across from hospital
    Tolteca are opening another burrito place on Bridge st between World Choice travel and Seven bar

That puts them very close to boojum and although they are decent, they are not in the boojum league.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That puts them very close to boojum and although they are decent, they are not in the boojum league.

Yeah, they're way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's another location that seems jinxed, nothing lasts there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Yeah, they're way better.

Chilli shack are da best in town

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement