Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

flazio wrote: »
    Almost everything seems to be closed down today.

For Jesus' sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Only one solution to this argument and the next logical step after the explosion of Mexican options in town:
    After the success of the Wild Atlantic Way, we are pleased to announce our next big idea... the Galway Burrito Way.

Eat responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Bumble Bees Daycare & Montessori 1 Monalee Heights, Knocknacarra closing at the end of this month, 28th I think.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

The Full Duck cafe appears to be up and running in Renmore.

D Trent wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/de.trent.58/about
    Self praise is no praise Martin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

https://www.facebook.com/de.trent.58/about
    Self praise is no praise Martin.

I pmsl I did

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

There seems to be some re-fitting/re-stocking going on at the shop that used to be Rabbitte's in Lower Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Former Home Plate on Mary St has signs saying it's opening soon as "Pasta Place" or similar (definitely pasta, 2nd word might be something else).

A person working inside the building has told Mr OBumble that Paddy Power is moving into the former O2 shop opposite AIB / Powells on Shop St. (No signs outside yet, but I consider the source reliable enough to share.)

A person working inside the building has told Mr OBumble that Paddy Power is moving into the former O2 shop opposite AIB / Powells on Shop St. (No signs outside yet, but I consider the source reliable enough to share.)

something tells me planning permission won't be granted for a betting shop there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A bookies there. Would that make economic sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sounds strange alright. The lads in Garavans will be doing cartwheels if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

snubbleste wrote: »
    A bookies there. Would that make economic sense?

Paddy Power has shops in Dublin on O'Connell Street and at the end of Grafton Street so why not here?

That said Mrd O'Bumble, I understand that Three are relocating to the former 02 shop and closing their small unit on Shop Street

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

According to their twitter account, HMV Galway is closing on 31 January 2016

https://twitter.com/HMVGalway?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://twitter.com/HMVGalway/status/687633038197583872
    We've got some terrible news today. Our store is closing on the 31st of jan. Anyone with giftcards please call into the store.
    Spread the word

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

This is why giftcards are a terrible idea. I got stung for one before. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Shocked they lasted so long tbh, sorry for the employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Inevitable really. Modern retail, especially music,films, tv and games was always going to be destroyed by internet retail.

Wonder what will happen to the unit, not many businesses can justify having a shop that size in such a location..

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Inevitable really. Modern retail, especially music,films, tv and games was always going to be destroyed by internet retail.

Wonder what will happen to the unit, not many businesses can justify having a shop that size in such a location..

I'd say a Zara or H&M or Burton etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

D Trent wrote: »
    I'd say a Zara or H&M or Burton etc

Burton are too small for that size of a unit. Think h&m and zara would need larger units. Something will go in there, the retail environment is improving and people are spending money again. It definitely won't be empty for too long.

Burton are too small for that size of a unit. Think h&m and zara would need larger units. Something will go in there, the retail environment is improving and people are spending money again. It definitely won't be empty for too long.
    Isn't Edward Square upward-only massive rents ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Isn't Edward Square upward-only massive rents ?

Doesn't stop the other retailers doing well there, it's the nature of the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Surprised they lasted.... Not cheap in there and any of their deals were still available at cheaper prices online. When the new James Bond Boxset was released they were selling for 80 euro and had the old one from four years ago for 70 euro. stupid pricing scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Serious pity, I sometimes find HMV better than a lot of online retailers when it comes to certain things, they can be quite competitive. They were great for ordering stuff too, instead of getting something online, I'd order it to the shop and then just go in and collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

... And Zhivago just keeps on surviving.

Sad to see HMV go, again. Not that I have much love for them as a company, but it was a bricks and mortar shop that sold music; it mightn't have been perfect but it was better than nothing. As someone who actually enjoys the old fashioned experience of browsing and buying music I just hate to see these kind of places go under.

Arghus wrote: »
    ... And Zhivago just keeps on surviving.

Sad to see HMV go, again. Not that I have much love for them as a company, but it was a bricks and mortar shop that sold music; it mightn't have been perfect but it was better than nothing. As someone who actually enjoys the old fashioned experience of browsing and buying music I just hate to see these kind of places - with acknowledgement of their faults- go under.

I think Zhivago survives because many Galwegians will buy local rather than go with the big corporation. Also Zhivago does rely a lot on special orders and vinyl plus they have that horrible area full of touristy junk which obviously makes a fortune come paddy's day! The HMV store was not comfortable to be in, too warm, and messily laid out...and don't get me started on the downstairs...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

smurf492 wrote: »
    I think Zhivago survives because many Galwegians will buy local rather than go with the big corporation. Also Zhivago does rely a lot on special orders and vinyl plus they have that horrible area full of touristy junk which obviously makes a fortune come paddy's day! The HMV store was not comfortable to be in, too warm, and messily laid out...and don't get me started on the downstairs...:rolleyes:

Have to agree with you there. Manys the time I walked in there with money to spend on music, only to leave empty handed after a few minutes of sweating profusely, in fairly cramped confines, with the sound of some inane chart nonsense still ringing at a thousand decibels in my ears.

Though now it looks like I'll have to look back at all that with nostalgia!

Arghus wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there. Manys the time I walked in there with money to spend on music, only to leave empty handed after a few minutes of sweating profusely, in fairly cramped confines, with the sound of some inane chart nonsense still ringing at a thousand decibels in my ears.

Though now it looks like I'll have to look back at all that with nostalgia!

Ah nostalgia! a lovely word...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

Anyone know what's the story with the 'cantina', a truck container in the forecourt of Topaz Newcastle? The shop has already been refurbished so nothing to do with that. I will go check it out, but just curious if any knowledgeable folk on here can shed any light?

ratracer wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the story with the 'cantina', a truck container in the forecourt of Topaz Newcastle? The shop has already been refurbished so nothing to do with that. I will go check it out, but just curious if any knowledgeable folk on here can shed any light?
    Already been mentioned on thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

Already been mentioned on thread

Very helpful, thanks!!

I hadn't seen it mentioned hence the post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement