Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It is a restaurant :D

Used to be Clan Video back in the day. Was also a head shop and as you mention the bike shop. Also a cyber-cafe (remember those things?) Can't remember what else.

Just had a strong memory of the over whelming stench of pubescent BO when it was still Clan Video/Online gaming. you really had to know which video you wanted before entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

was it audiovision after clan?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

was it audiovision after clan?

No, Audiovision was in mary street in either mandate or the charcoal grill premises.
    think clan was an internet / gaming place for a while after clan closed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It is a restaurant :D

Chatting to the guys outside it tonight. It's a pub, Looked in the windows, definitely a pub, at least on one side, maybe restaurant on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Chatting to the guys outside it tonight. It's a pub, Looked in the windows, definitely a pub, at least on one side, maybe restaurant on the other side.

Anyone got a name on this new mystery pub? Surprised they don't have a fb page to drum up some interest (i haven't seen one anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Anyone got a name on this new mystery pub? Surprised they don't have a fb page to drum up some interest (i haven't seen one anyway)

Went inside on Paddy's day, it's done out in the very old traditional pub style complete with vintage embossed wallpaper. There was an overwhelming smell of fresh paint so I didn't linger. Not sure if it has a name yet. Seems like bad luck for a pub not to have a name..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I assume they just wanted to get open in time for Patrick's Day, was in there on Wednesday night for a look and you wouldn't need a drink with the overwhelming paint fumes on offer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Does anyone know what has happened to VAS Garage on Doughiska road?

Has it closed or just moved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Damiencm wrote: »
    Does anyone know what has happened to VAS Garage on Doughiska road?

Has it closed or just moved?

He was told to find new place as Folans bought the whole compound and tried to charge him an arm and a leg
    Not sure if he's got a different spot yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

D Trent wrote:
    He was told to find new place as Folans bought the whole compound and tried to charge him an arm and a leg Not sure if he's got a different spot yet

Cheers. Hope he finds himself a new unit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Went inside on Paddy's day, it's done out in the very old traditional pub style complete with vintage embossed wallpaper. There was an overwhelming smell of fresh paint so I didn't linger. Not sure if it has a name yet. Seems like bad luck for a pub not to have a name..

They've a sign up now, can't for the life of me remember it now! Named after some fella.

Still a powerful smell of paint and varnish in there yet!

381533.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Called the lock keeper, there is indeed a person's name over that, John (mc)keough i think. Yeah still smells quite a bit of paint but i like the fit out , guessing they'll be smoothing the few rough edges shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Called the lock keeper, there is indeed a person's name over that, John (mc)keough i think.

That's it, and after a quick google...

"To the left, just out of picture, was the Lock House, occupied by a Mr John Keogh who operated this bridge and the canal lock at Parkaveara."

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/68784/lower-dominick-street-about-one-hundred-and-fifty-years-ago

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Is this place owned by the Monroe's?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Former Spanish Arch hotel owners I was told.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Vaping 365 on Forster street hasn't been open in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Vaping 365 on Forster street hasn't been open in a few days

Everyone's back on the real cigs after Lent.

In fairness, my walk takes me by there every day from work and barely ever see anyone in that Vaping 365 place. It just seemed like a ... silly idea. Was it just somewhere people can vape inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

In fairness, my walk takes me by there every day from work and barely ever see anyone in that Vaping 365 place. It just seemed like a ... silly idea. Was it just somewhere people can vape inside?

I never went in, but I assumed that they were selling the e-cigs. They had coffee machines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Cookes Corner. (at the junction of Shantalla Rd and Newcastle Rd)
    The old corner shop is been renovated. Any idea's what it will be used for?
    Does not look like it will be a convenience store from the fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Cookes Corner. (at the junction of Shantalla Rd and Newcastle Rd)
    The old corner shop is been renovated. Any idea's what it will be used for?
    Does not look like it will be a convenience store from the fittings.

It is small office units operated by a property management firm who are going to have their own office unit there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Was in the new pub on Domnic St last night. lock keeper. was just meeting a friend for one.
    While personally it wouldn't really be the kind of place id stay for more than one or two pints , i can see it being popular.
    i presume will be a dail / front door kind of crowd.
    Don't think the Roisin has much to worry about next door. Seemed to have decent Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Was in the new pub on Domnic St last night. lock keeper. was just meeting a friend for one.

Don't think the Roisin has much to worry about next door.

Ahem....I don't think it was The Lock Keeper you were in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Those women were in the nip!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Vaping shops are the new retro sweet shops, popping up and going bust randomly all over the place, both selling stuff you can order for 50% cheaper online yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tigergirl

New cafe called Temple cafe opened up on Augustine Street near the library. Looks to be a local/health food kind of place!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

tigergirl wrote: »
    New cafe called Temple cafe opened up on Augustine Street near the library. Looks to be a local/health food kind of place!

The Galway advertiser had a feature on it this week. Sounds like a great concept, all profits are donated to local charities, hope they do well.

Page 57 if interested, link to electronic version:

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?pbid=a2fc81f2-0ccf-4dbf-aca1-00bedf4bde35

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Select Cartridge look to be moving back into Westside, specifically in the building which also houses Fine Wines (near Subway/Domino's). There was previously a betting shop there for a short while. Seems to be taking a long time to fit out the place, though there are signs in the window and a few cartridges on shelves in the shop. The interior isn't anywhere near finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Elverys going into the former HMV unit in Edward Square.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement