Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Update: Actually called the Lough Inn. (Vagunesse on steorids!)

Wet paint isn't quite dry, hasn't managed to open yet. Most likely tomorrow.

Two pubs with 'Lough' in the name in as many months?. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Update: Actually called the Lough Inn. (Vagunesse on steorids!)

Wet paint isn't quite dry, hasn't managed to open yet. Most likely tomorrow.

Those poor bar staff are gonna be sick to the teeth of "lock in" jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I see Peter Harkin Photographer is no longer in Nile Lodge at the traffic lights beside the Crescent. There was some building works going on there the last few weeks and a new sign there now that simply says “Murrays”. There’s a new wheelchair ramp installed too so it might have something to do with Murrays Medical, Homecare and Mobility equipment?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

They've been working on the former Harkin's for quite some months now. Sign up now says Murray's (I think the Murray family still own the premises) and I'm informed it's to be a cafe or bakery

Any idea where Peter is operating from now? I assume he is still in business?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Not sure, but I've seen the van about in the past week or two

Eeden wrote: »
    Not sure, but I've seen the van about in the past week or two

His Website is still live but it has no Info about location that I can see. He's probably operating from the house and saving on rent & rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Google Search is showing up hes moved to 16 Mary St

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

He's working from the start up offices in Mary Street

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Contractor working on the Warwick site this morning. Seem to be clearing out furniture and a lot of doors,partitions etc.

great to see something being done with it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

westgolf wrote: »
    Contractor working on the Warwick site this morning. Seem to be clearing out furniture and a lot of doors,partitions etc.
    great to see something being done with it
    Anything good in the skip, boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Eeden wrote: »
    They've been working on the former Harkin's for quite some months now. Sign up now says Murray's (I think the Murray family still own the premises) and I'm informed it's to be a cafe or bakery

Glad to hear the Murray family still owners there.

Back in the forties it was a great place for icecream and sweets - which were my main interests those days

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dvkv7

The three story part with Hickeys is an older separate shopping center called Corbetts Court - it is small and when the Eyre Square centre was built it linked into it. There are two storey townhouse apartments built on top of the Eyre Square part.

Oh wow, so where does one end and the other start?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Hi,

Does anyone know why the Healthwave pharmacy closed so soon after opening? I would've thought it would be very popular selling meds for so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, googling it seems to confirm it's permanently closed.
    No reason given.

dvkv7 wrote: »
    Oh wow, so where does one end and the other start?
    It's marked on google
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2736855,-9.0503896,20.5z?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 12,137 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »
    Yeah, googling it seems to confirm it's permanently closed.
    No reason given.

Long gone, lack of footfall an obvious reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I wonder will the eyre sq centre revamp open up the lower and top floor levels of corbettcourt to more footfall, dunno how businesses survive on these levels hickeys the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I had to send someone into town to get some supplies from the pet shop but she said that when she went to the shop, a little bit before 5, it was closed. She asked someone outside, a street cleaner or someone about the shop and he said it was closed. She picked up on what he said as closed for good but she said he was a foreigner so maybe he didn't understand her well. I checked on Facebook and it says their times are from 9 to 6pm so to find it closed before 5 is a bit weird. I've been shopping there for years and I know sometimes they might close for a short bit and put a sign up on the door with a note like 'will be back at 4.30' as an example. I didn't see any closing down message on Facebook. The shop has been there for years. It will be so sad to see it closed. Any one know what the story is with this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

There's a sign on the door saying after 28 years they have retired. I'm gutted. Lovely staff and very handy. Will miss it terribly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

ArtyC wrote: »
    There's a sign on the door saying after 28 years they have retired. I'm gutted. Lovely staff and very handy. Will miss it terribly

Thank you so much for your reply. Gutted is right. Plus 1 to lovely staff and very handy. Will miss it very much too. This is all very sudden really to me. No warning or anything. Nothing about it on their Facebook page.

I know Galway has other petshops out in Terryland and beside the eye cinema but last time I was on that side of Galway was a good two years ago if not longer. Quay Street was just so handy. Lovely lady that worked there ordered me a muzzle not so long ago. I loved the 'country pets' dog toys that they used to stock although it's been a while since I say that particular toy brand in their shops. I used to regularly come home with a squeaky stuffed peasant or frog or rabbit or bird for the dog when they were doing them toys.

I wonder what will happen now to the premises? Will someone else be found to take it over as a pet shop? Or something else entirely. I'm at a loss thinking what on earth could go in there that will keep in line with the character of Quay Street. Galway has enough coffee shops. Not another one.

Good thing I checked here in boards.ie about this pet shop. Will have to do an online shop of some supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I thought the same. Probably another coffee shop. Sad to see it go.

Work in progress at the Bal Salthill today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Work in progress at the Bal Salthill today

Hopefully they're knocking it??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Hopefully they're knocking it??

New door and exterior paint when I passed last week

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Maybe he's gone doing the magician gig full time

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

Thank you so much for your reply. Gutted is right. Plus 1 to lovely staff and very handy. Will miss it very much too. This is all very sudden really to me. No warning or anything. Nothing about it on their Facebook page.

I know Galway has other petshops out in Terryland and beside the eye cinema but last time I was on that side of Galway was a good two years ago if not longer. Quay Street was just so handy. Lovely lady that worked there ordered me a muzzle not so long ago. I loved the 'country pets' dog toys that they used to stock although it's been a while since I say that particular toy brand in their shops. I used to regularly come home with a squeaky stuffed peasant or frog or rabbit or bird for the dog when they were doing them toys.

I wonder what will happen now to the premises? Will someone else be found to take it over as a pet shop? Or something else entirely. I'm at a loss thinking what on earth could go in there that will keep in line with the character of Quay Street. Galway has enough coffee shops. Not another one.

Good thing I checked here in boards.ie about this pet shop. Will have to do an online shop of some supplies.

It'll not reopen as a pet shop sadly. The owner of the building is applying for the change of use for the property from Retail to Restaurant as far as I know.

Work is to commence this weekend on Mc Sharry Pharmacy Westside Shopping Centre (Formally Mc Loughlins). The work will see the pharmacy divided straight down the middle; one have will remain as a pharmacy while the other half will be converted into five front facing consulting rooms which will house up to 3 GP’s

Anyone know what happening to the old/former AIB building in Salthill?

It's covered in scaffolding at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cookes Corner shop being refitted. Paint job being done today and signage being put up. Dunno what it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement