Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Café Zealous across from Roches is about to become Chez Augustín (or something similar. Excuse the spelling).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Café Zealous across from Roches is about to become Chez Augustín (or something similar. Excuse the spelling).

I think Roches might be closing soon as well.

Yep, a few of the Wellpark staff will be relocating to the Headford Rd. but I don't know how many will actually be made redundant.

Was speaking to one of them the other day, they said in addition to all wellpark staff transfer to the Headford Road 3in1 store, they were also hiring some new staff as well.

I think Roches might be closing soon as well.

Oops! M&S.

Oops! M&S.

Although, if one pays for the car park via credit card, it does still says "Roches Stores", so maybe my comment was a bit out of order.

• Advertisement

I think the site is still owned by Roches anyway so I'm kinda right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Carrols pub on Dominic St (ex McAlinden's) has a sign on the door (pic below) and today scaffolding outside. No idea when the sign went up, but informed sources say there was a fire when an electrical circuit overloaded in the early hours of the morning about a fortnight ago.

394392.PNG

Asulym escape rooms in Dominic St now has a small internet cafe in its downstairs area.

And there's a new phone-repair shop in the pro-cathedral builiding in Abbeygate St, in the unit that Edmond the shoe repair guy used to be in. (Edmond is now a couple of doors down the street, where the travel agent used to be.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Laviski wrote: »
    the "Cantina" that is basically a converted container at the topaz garage in newcastle is closing from today as apparently not going to open for the new student term.

clearing out stock there today.

I was wondering if this was the case 😯 was very convenient when passing that area and tasty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Dont know if this was mentioned before.

New cafe/restaurant in the former Mexx boutique premises on market st/ o'gormans lane - church lane corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dough Bros. is closing down, to relocate elsewhere in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,139 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dough Bros. is closing down, to relocate elsewhere in the near future.

Yep already mentioned a cupla weeks ago, going into the former Sweetie Pies in the Cathedral Buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yep already mentioned a cupla weeks ago, going into the former Sweetie Pies in the Cathedral Buildings.

I find it funny that even Eugene and Ronan haven't disclosed on facebook where it is going to be yet but boards knows and tells all :D

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I find it funny that even Eugene and Ronan haven't disclosed on facebook where it is going to be yet but boards knows and tells all :D

Yep there's life outside Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

And there's a new phone-repair shop in the pro-cathedral builiding in Abbeygate St, in the unit that Edmond the shoe repair guy used to be in. (Edmond is now a couple of doors down the street, where the travel agent used to be.)

I'm a bit late to the Opening up/Closing down party on this one but I just looked up to see where pro-cathedral buildings were on Google Maps and I can't believe I never looked up towards the roof before and saw that was a church building!
    Mind blown!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Falf

Just got word that the iconic costello's kebab house on Dominic street is to close it's doors for good in the next 2 weeks...😭😭
    Wat a bummer, 😩many the drunkn kebab I had on my way home from a good night out.
    Anyone out there have any memories of heading there on way home....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Where did you hear this?

Facebook today a friend is friends with Alfred that works there, he had said steve the owner would like to thank everyone for there custom.
    Be sad to see it going all it needed was a bit of life put bk into it....

Had food there once, was absolute muck, no loss, better takeaways around town. Thats my memory ofit.

Ya I agree it went down hill in the last few yr's... It was the first of many kebab shops to open and was place to go around 10yrs ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just passed Steve a few mins ago, he didn't say a word. Bummer :( At the end of the day there were a few employees there.

I'm going eating 5.50 meals for the next 2 weeks in that case.

• Advertisement

I'd say kebabs have seen there days down that side... €5.50 deal it be hard to beat... vines seam to have it wrapped up down that side....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Yep there's life outside Facebook.

really? I didnt know that!! :eek:
    All i meant was that they have posted on facebook that they have a new premises but are not yet telling people where it is.

A good fish and chip shop would do well, be intrestin to see Wat goes there next... any guesses.???

A good fish and chip shop would do well, be intrestin to see Wat goes there next... any guesses.???

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I ended up heading there on Friday night because Vinnie's was too packed. It was usually the third choice after Vinnie's and Emperor Chinese back in the day. The cheeseburger I had was grand, same as Vinnie's I'd say. Not the best judge of food when I've a heap of drink on me.

Good spot up for grabs there. It just made me think about the Bamboo Chinese. That's closed, right? What replaced it?

No bamboo still open, same owners... only thing iv gotten in there is the big spring roll but only when drunk and your right it is a good spot up for grabs fish and chip would do well there or someting like salt and pepper in salthill.. I could be wrong but good fish and chips seams to always do well... let's see Wat boards.ie think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

westgolf wrote: »
    Dont know if this was mentioned before.

New cafe/restaurant in the former Mexx boutique premises on market st/ o'gormans lane - church lane corner.

Yup, it's called Caprice. Other half loves it. I think they're still figuring out their service so it's a little slow sometimes but the food is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Popped into Caprice myself last weekend and have to say it's a lovely spot. Not cheap but certainly a lovely place. Really bright and cosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Bamboo must be the longest running open Chinese in Galway,easily 30 years?

• Advertisement

Ya it sure is the longest running chinese in galway and the kebab house was also the longest running takeaway kebab place... also Ronnie it's not a rummer it's fact the kebab house is closing down in 2 weeks time... and if there is 20 more posts regarding this think it would be proper form as it was an icon of Dominic street... so with that I say best of luck to steve and staff of the kebab house... your €5.50 meal will be missed....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement