Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ratracer

westgolf wrote: »
    Where are we talking about ?

City limits in Oranmore I think.
    Wasn't there a recent planning application to change the use of that whole building and turn it into offices?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

ratracer wrote: »
    Wasn't there a recent planning application to change the use of that whole building and turn it into offices?

Is oranmore city or county?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Name checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 U2sir

County

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

ratracer wrote: »

Does this include the cinema complex as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh i was wondering about this place. New to the area and spotted City Limits before Christmas went to call last week and sure twas all closed up.. Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

A member of staff in the Westwood told me that it will cease to trade as a hotel from February 2018. The new owners are going to re-develop it as office space.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Webbs wrote: »
    Does this include the cinema complex as well?

I believe the cinema is a separate business with a separate lease.
    As is the restaurant, which is available to lease separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    A member of staff in the Westwood told me that it will cease to trade as a hotel from February 2018. The new owners are going to re-develop it as office space.

This is a shame. It's a lovely hotel and certainly needed over that side of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They hotel also told this to the office where I work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

New owners of the shopping centre complex. Lease was due for renewal and the new owners increased it substantially. Leaseholder decided not to renew.

All the new traffic calming measures and the addition of the new medical centre are part of the new owners effort to make their mark too I guess.

They seem to be renovating it this week, changing it to a 24hour unattended self service Petrol station and Car Wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since ronnie3585's hotel comment is corroborated by GerardKeating I'll let it slide - but that is the kind of info we don't really want here as it is still hearsay without an official source (webpage/sign on window etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

City Limits - to think that at one point they actually had a night club out there....in a business park, a fair walk from Oranmore village, which required a crossing of a dual carriageway. I'd love to know what brains were convinced that was a recipe for success. City Limits was a nice place though, shame it's gone, though the cinema is the real crime...it has to be the worst run cinema in Ireland. Frequently under-staffed, heating seems to be perpetually broken since it opened....it's a vicious cycle, they seem to not want to spend money on it because it's not busy, but the various issues mean most people just avoid it. At this point, most people I know from Oranmore go directly to town to avoid any potential hassle. I'm from Oranmore and even when I lived there we mostly avoided it for that reason and just went to the Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

City Limits - to think that at one point they actually had a night club out there....in a business park, a fair walk from Oranmore village, which required a crossing of a dual carriageway. I'd love to know what brains were convinced that was a recipe for success.

That would be the brains of the planning Dept in Galway County Council circa 2004.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/GalwayCC/AppFileRefDetails/fs22502/0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That would be the brains of the planning Dept in Galway County Council circa 2004.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/GalwayCC/AppFileRefDetails/fs22502/0

I meant more from a commerical point of view, I'm sure from a planning POV it was sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I meant more from a commerical point of view, I'm sure from a planning POV it was sound.

It is fault of both. It never stacked up from an Urban planning point of view so the Council are just as culpable for allowing it to go ahead in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Bit of an odd purchase if they're doing that with it. There's office space available to buy and rent in the IDA park across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Bit of an odd purchase if they're doing that with it. There's office space available to buy and rent in the IDA park across the road.

New owner ? When did sweeneys sell it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

westgolf wrote: »
    New owner ? When did sweeneys sell it ?

Don't know. The poster I replied to said it had new owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭spurshero

Ludikrus wrote: »

I was told today that supposedly it's going to be changed into apartments for student accommodation

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

spurshero wrote: »
    I was told today that supposedly it's going to be changed into apartments for student accommodation

Thats right

If it gets planning ...................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

youngrun wrote: »
    Thats right

If it gets planning ...................

I very much doubt it. The house of a city councillor and ex mayor backs onto the Westwood :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I very much doubt it. The house of a city councillor and ex mayor backs onto the Westwood :o

http://connachttribune.ie/1000-student-bed-spaces-to-be-created-in-e75m-plan-899/

Imagine there would be a bit of opposition alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

It is fault of both. It never stacked up from an Urban planning point of view so the Council are just as culpable for allowing it to go ahead in the first place.
    Except the council are in an no-win situation. If they refuse permission (which they probably should have) you get developers crying to the local media that "the bureaurcrats in the council are getting in the way of a fantastic business opportunity bringing x jobs to ..."

Councils took the same attitude to developments during the Celtic Tiger too. The attitude seemed to be "If the private sector thinks it can sell 300 houses in a village in Longford/Leitrim, who are we to say they're wrong. Fire away."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

youngrun wrote: »
    He's moved, caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Caseys Centra wellpark is to become Londis from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

D Trent wrote: »
    Hope nothing changes in terms of suppliers etc, that Centra is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

D Trent wrote: »

Same with a few of the Casey's in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

FitzShane wrote: »
    From what I heard, the mini Centra franchise of 'Casey's Centra' (there are 5 of them around Galway/Mayo region) have not renewed their contract with Centra and are changing to a different brand. Whether this is the reason behind the development or not, I do not know.

I said it at the start of December! Where is the poster that said they were not now?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tried Bonda Bistro over the weekend - gets the thumbs up from me at least.

The Black Gate opened on Friday in Francis St (where the original youth cafe was). Describes itself as "Café, wine-bar, venue, mini cinema, library & creative office space." - will be an interesting combination to watch. https://www.facebook.com/blackgategalway/

Long-empty unit across the road from it has a sign up saying it's going to open as a Thai restaurant. Has been being fitted out for months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement