Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What ones are there now? I know there's the Tuam Rd, Galway Shopping Centre and Newcastle...

The one that I very helpfully pointed out operating in the ESC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Bredabe

That's called Capital Kebab!!
    Am new and the only kebab house I can find online is that one, is there another not on eglinton st?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

What ones are there now? I know there's the Tuam Rd, Galway Shopping Centre and Newcastle...

There is also one next to Domino in Westside beside Fine Wines.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bredabe wrote: »
    Is that the kebab house in eglinton st?

Nope. I was on about the 'original' Kebab House on Dominick St beside the Roisin Dubh.

I was sad to see it go (but my health wasn't). It had a place in my heart (no pun intended). Honestly lost count of the amount of times I used to get food on tick (or for free, just to get rid of me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There is also one next to Domino in Westside beside Fine Wines.

I think that's the Newcastle one mentioned above.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I think that's the Newcastle one mentioned above.

No, the Newcastle one is different, it's in the convenience store opposite the hospital where the new chopped is also located, in between Tesco and Supermacs.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Ulster Bank is closing 2 branches in Galway. Newcastle and Briarhill

Source RTE http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0323/862013-ulster-bank-to-close-22-branches-across-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

paconnors wrote: »
    Ulster Bank is closing 2 branches in Galway. Newcastle and Briarhill

Source RTE http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0323/862013-ulster-bank-to-close-22-branches-across-ireland

I use the Newcastle and tuam road branches semi regularly (probably once a month each) and would have said Newcastle was the busier branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Looks like The Kebab House is going to be another takeawy (or similar) - 'arty' sign up on the wall inside saying 'Hamburger'

Pitty i've moved on to spicebags across the road :eek:

From that "arty" sign and this post on Facebook I've a feeling it could be Harlow Food Truck opening there.

New doughnut place on Dominic Street, the ground floor under the Escape Rooms place - not sure has it opened yet but saw the place all done up and signs up during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Donut place on Dominick Street was open this morning, so it is open.

• Advertisement

New Parcel Motel installed at Monaghan's Seamus Quirke road (formally Arch Motors)

Think it may be the one that used to be in Joyce's Knocknacarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

New Parcel Motel installed at Monaghan's Seamus Quirke road (formally Arch Motors)

Think it may be the one that used to be in Joyce's Knocknacarra.

It is, see here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057726363

Bonham-Quay-1.jpg
    http://connachttribune.ie/e100m-docks-development-create-500-construction-jobs-500/
    Big new development planned for the docks.
    There is a shortage of office space in the city and I could imagine my own employer moving in. I might have to switch to public transport.

Frankly, I'd be amazed if that got
    1. Built
    2. Occupied
    Just take a look at the state of things down by the Raddison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

If it was built it would certainly be occupied, there's a huge demand for office space particularly in town. However, there isn't the infrastructure to support it (roads, public transport etc) and it's already a traffic black spot. But then again that's never stopped the local planning authority before.

It is a five minute walk from the train station and bus stops in Eyre Square - probably as well a positioned spot for public transport as anywhere in the city.

I don't imagine anywhere near as many parking spaces as there are jobs would be allowed.

As I said above my employer is looking for space and if we moved I would strongly consider switching from driving to work on the edge of town to taking a bus or train into the center.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Well it being so close to Eyre Square and so many public transport links, it might stop so many 1 occupant cars on the roads every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

1. Built
    2. Occupied

If there's so little demand, how come the Hynes Building is being so radically rebuilt for Metlife? How come Acorn are crammed into a building thats too small - they even have offices in some ground floor shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

1. Built
    2. Occupied

Galway is crying out for office space. We have the lowest availability of office space in Ireland by a long shot. What is available is small and generally unsuitable for businesses of scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Salthill Fish and Chips has re-opened as Robertas Take Away. Their sign says they are offering fish and chips, pizza and pasta. They've done a nice job of it and have a number of tables for eating in also.

Salthill Social is a new cafe/restaurant in Lenaboy Gardens near the junction with Upper Salthill. There was an unoccupied building on the site for years so it's good to see something done with the place. Nice staff and food good, if a little overpriced in places. For example, Eggs Benedict 11 euro, or 9 euro if you forego the bacon ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

its a long way off, considering challenges faced by Hungry Bear (Hillbilly's at the time) that they are not allowed to serve take away. I would expect the same objections raised by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

My walk around town today i spotted a nail bar where providence cafe used to be. Venice moved up the road from that. Around the corner a new hairdressers opened. Downstairs in the eyre square centre a soap shop opened down near where abc used to be. And in the new section both starbucks and Diesel are fitted out but weren't open

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looks like the recession is finished alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

New street food kitchen place in Joyces Knocknacarra. Named Station One. Saw a paparich van in the carpark earlier and the menu is very similar so might be same owners...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anyone know when Hooked on Henry St is re-opening? Nout on their Facebox and no answer on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My walk around town today i spotted a nail bar where providence cafe used to be. Venice moved up the road from that. Around the corner a new hairdressers opened. Downstairs in the eyre square centre a soap shop opened down near where abc used to be. And in the new section both starbucks and Diesel are fitted out but weren't open

The nail bar is actually upstairs where Heaven Scent used to be.

The 2nd hand place next door to the former Providence closed a w hole back but reopened last week as Miracles of 1984 (or something similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Anyone know when Hooked on Henry St is re-opening? Nout on their Facebox and no answer on the phone.

They were still busy working on Hooked and Ali's fish shop when I walked past yesterday. By the looks of it, it will be early May at the earliest.
    I wish they'd hurry up, I really like the place!

ronnie3585 wrote: »

They were still busy working on Hooked and Ali's fish shop when I walked past yesterday. By the looks of it, it will be early May at the earliest.
    I wish they'd hurry up, I really like the plaice!
    Fixed your post, I'm sure it was a typo. Or am I just codding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭StonedRaider

Artisan restaurant is gone. Walked past every day since Monday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement