Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Gala store on the corner of Eglinton Street and Mary Street is closed, a sign on the door says it closed for Maternity leave and renovations, forgot to take a photo of it. Still stock visible on shelves.

There is also two "For Sale" signs from different companies on the building, but not sure if that is for the upper floors or what?

Ya, been closed like that for several months at least.

I saw it advertised in one of the papers a few weeks back, the for sale bit includes the shop and an equivalently sized basement I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The entire building is for sale, but in two separate lots

www.daft.ie/5425508

www.daft.ie/5329544

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

'New Curry House' Cookes Corner has been shut for about 3 weeks now. Place ripped apart and sheeting put on the windows.

Can't say i'm sorry to see it go: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99753834

Shop on prospect hill opposite county hall that was a computer repairs place has turned into a Brazillian grocer ... Arazem Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Shop on prospect hill opposite county hall that was a computer repairs place has turned into a Brazillian grocer ... Arazem Brazil.

Interesting! Thanks for the heads up, I hardly ever find myself in thar area and would have missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Foxs bar is now called darcys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Has anyone been in the new Papa Rich Bistro inside Born shopping center yet? Still haven't got a chance to try it out, I wonder what the food is like.

Was in there sat, big fan of the woodquay shop..

Had the American burger ,pulled beef in BBQ sauce, brother had the pork ribs burger, best burgers I've had anywhere ever..We split burgers and had half of each.. the salad was amazing,slaw was like I remember years ago.. best tenner I've spent since I dunno when.. they have big plans for the place with the outside seating at the river,cocktail bar etc.. could be a awesome spot finally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

they have big plans for the place with the outside seating at the river
    In fairness, they should make a lot more of that aspect of the place - bit of a waste being so close to the canal/river if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

serfboard wrote: »
    In fairness, they should make a lot more of that aspect of the place - bit of a waste being so close to the canal/river if they don't.

Walked down the canal and past it yesterday, and the outside area seemed to be buzzing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Facebook pics looks enticing. Always thought it was a great spot for the cafe when walking the canal. If they can do what they did to asian street food and apply that to ribs, slaw, and burgers they'll make a killing:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/paparichbistro

Used to be a nice restaurant in Bridge Mills which has a great little patio overlooking the Corrib as well. Another nice spot on a sunny day.
    Not sure who's in there these days... I can't keep up with the the turnover of that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Facebook pics looks enticing. Always thought it was a great spot for the cafe when walking the canal. If they can do what they did to asian street food and apply that to ribs, slaw, and burgers they'll make a killing:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/paparichbistro

Used to be a nice restaurant in Bridge Mills which has a great little patio overlooking the Corrib as well. Another nice spot on a sunny day.
    Not sure who's in there these days... I can't keep up with the the turnover of that location.

Il Vicolo, must be two years there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Rockin' Joe's on Eglinton street closed for the last few days, whole premises gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

Heard someone saying over the weekend there's supposed to be a rooftop bar opening above 56 Central on Shop Street. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Has anyone been in the new Papa Rich Bistro inside Born shopping center yet? Still haven't got a chance to try it out, I wonder what the food is like.

Are they limited by Born's quite restrictive opening hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

J o e wrote: »
    Are they limited by Born's quite restrictive opening hours?

No they are creating a dedicated entrance so will be open in evenings as well. A restaurant upstairs and Bistro downstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Shutters been down in Nigel's cycles for the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Redo91 wrote: »
    Heard someone saying over the weekend there's supposed to be a rooftop bar opening above 56 Central on Shop Street. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Seems to be already opened. It's called the Buddha Zen Rooftop

From a month ago
    https://www.her.ie/life/galway-getting-first-rooftop-bar-342249

Official 56 Central Website
    http://www.56central.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Seems to be already opened. It's called the Buddha Zen Rooftop

From a month ago
    https://www.her.ie/life/galway-getting-first-rooftop-bar-342249

Official 56 Central Website
    http://www.56central.com/

Is that where Lynch's Cafe used to be? Above Zhivago/OMG/OMG@Whatever :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Webbs wrote: »
    No they are creating a dedicated entrance so will be open in evenings as well. A restaurant upstairs and Bistro downstairs

That's interesting - the staff in the bistro told me they would only be open in the daytime and the Woodquay restaurant would be catering to the evening trade. Good to hear they will open in the evenings as the location is gorgeous. We have very few waterside restaurants in Galway. Surprisingly few, considering the amount of water we have on our doorstep!

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    Is that where Lynch's Cafe used to be? Above Zhivago/OMG/OMG@Whatever :D

Yes.

Its not above 56 Central, it simply their smoking area prettied up.

Thoigh I do wonder how Buddhist people feel about having their religious symbols in bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Il Vicolo, must be two years there now.

That's not that long. Give it time.

Redo91 wrote: »

When I hear 'Rooftop Bar' (been to many from as close as Lisbon to as far as Bangkok) I expect a proper rooftop with a view. This appears to be quite the opposite (from what I can see from pics)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

topcat77 wrote: »
    Shutters been down in Nigel's cycles for the last couple of days
    Anyone know what the story is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

How long has the Hungary Bear been closed? I see all it's contents are up for auction.
    I knew it couldn't last without doing take away.

How long has the Hungary Bear been closed? I see all it's contents are up for auction.

Is that the place beside The Skeff? If so, it was open early last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nem hosszù.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. Strange. Everything being auctioned today by a Dublin auctioneer.
    Source: Pg 4 of last weeks Advertiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is?

Closed Saturday and liquidators already been in. Nigel's cycles is no more.

It must be next to impossible to compete with the online retailers like CRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Damn thats sad, it was a great shop. Then again I always just buy from CRC or else wait for Lidl and Aldi so I cant really talk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement