Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Nigel's was a great shop for a certain type of cyclist. For regular joe-commuter they couldn't give a crap. Also their mechanic (this is going back a couple years) was mediocre. I've had better success on that front with Westside or MBW in Moycullen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

How long has the Hungary Bear been closed? I see all it's contents are up for auction.
    I knew it couldn't last without doing take away.

Passed here last night and it was open and appeared to be business as usual...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Forster court/Elwoods hotel to open as the greenway in July - full window poster up..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Forster court/Elwoods hotel to open as the greenway in July - full window poster up..

I think Greenway is just the name of the construction company doing work on the place. Same postering is on Garavans which is having work done upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I think Greenway is just the name of the construction company doing work on the place. Same postering is on Garavans which is having work done upstairs.
    Pretty sure the poster on the window says 'The Greenway Hotel'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Same owner as pucan, residence hotel/bar 1520, Connaught hotel

Mrs o'b was right, it says Greenway Pl, and then new hotel underneath.

Speaking of Garavans...therrs a lot of scafgolding up for a long time there. Official story is that they're replacing the windows , but i wonder if therrs s nightclub or similar being installed upstairs. Anyone know?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I stand corrected, just glad it'll be open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Speaking of Garavans...therrs a lot of scafgolding up for a long time there. Official story is that they're replacing the windows , but i wonder if therrs s nightclub or similar being installed upstairs. Anyone know?

protected structure was the story i was told hence all the issues with just sorting a few windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Another coffee chain for Galway.  Caffe Nero is opening at 30 Eyre Square.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/93009/caffe-nero-is-coming-to-town

• Registered Users Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

ongarboy wrote: »
    Another coffee chain for Galway.  Caffe Nero is opening at 30 Eyre Square.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/93009/caffe-nero-is-coming-to-town

That partly explains the confusion about the Hungry Bear so.

Small shop at the right hand side of the old Zhivago premises has turned into a nail and beauty bar.

Former Latin Quarter restaurant (across the road from Neachtains) is being fitted out as an icecream place, signs say Peek-a-Moo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Small shop at the right hand side of the old Zhivago premises has turned into a nail and beauty bar.

Former Latin Quarter restaurant  (across the road from Neachtains) is being fitted out as an icecream place, signs say Peek-a-Moo.
    Another ice cream shop?

I passed Murphy's the other day, it was Saturday, sun blazing and the street packed. The shop was dead.

Can't see how all these ice cream shops will survive come September.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Another ice cream shop?

I passed Murphy's the other day, it was Saturday, sun blazing and the street packed. The shop was dead.

Can't see how all these ice cream shops will survive come September.

It'll be a meltdown...:D

It looks like ice cream is the new coffee: Ginos a couple of years ago, and now Murphys, Kenny Joe's, Maple Moose - and Peek-a-Moo-to-be. Maybe some others I've not noticed too.

Murphy's spent a lot gutting and refitting their shop. They are busy most of the time at the moment, and when they're not, then sent people out on the street to chat up business. But they don't seem to have a product range for the winter months. Will be fascinating to see what happens there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

It looks like ice cream is the new coffee: Ginos a couple of years ago, and now Murphys, Kenny Joe's, Maple Moose - and Peek-a-Moo-to-be. Maybe some others I've not noticed too.

Murphy's spent a lot gutting and refitting their shop. They are busy most of the time at the moment, and when they're not, then sent people out on the street to chat up business. But they don't seem to have a product range for the winter months. Will be fascinating to see what happens there.

Oh yes,

Edge of your seat stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Anyone know where this place is opening? According to the Sunday Times it's an American-style diner using ethically produced, locally sourced ingredients.

Edi: Further investigation reveals this is the reincarnation of Harlowe,formerly pop-ups and delivery only. Some connection with Martines in Quay Street.

Noticed today that Mez Masquerades in Middle St has gone. Their Facebook says they closed in early June.

Anyone know where this place is opening? According to the Sunday Times it's an American-style diner using ethically produced, locally sourced ingredients.

Edi: Further investigation reveals this is the reincarnation of Harlowe,formerly pop-ups and delivery only. Some connection with Martines in Quay Street.

Owners/managers of Martines. New place going into former Pura Vida unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Ulster bank is now closed down at the briarhill shopping center last FridayIMAG3846_zpssgjvtb0q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

m17 wrote: »
    Ulster bank is now closed down at the briarhill shopping center last Friday

The one on Newcastle Road is gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

xckjoo wrote: »
    The one on Newcastle Road is gone too.

This was announced last march.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

What happened to Body Dynamics in Knocknacarra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hungry Bear/Hillbillies gone?

Hungry Bear/Hillbillies gone?

Yes. Cafe Nero opening there. Mentionrd a few posts back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A sad day for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Haughes butcher in Terryland looks closed. Anyone confirm this?

Pity if it is as I always found it excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yes. Cafe Nero opening there. Mentionrd a few posts back.

Galway has to be close to peak coffee shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Galway has to be close to peak coffee shop?

I'm guessing any failures will be replaced by donut/doughnut shops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement