Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

westgolf wrote: »
    Rak Thai in Eglinton Street for sale..didn't give it much time to develop a base of business.

Jaysus, that's a shame! Their food was great! Pricier than Pappa Rich around the corner admittedly, but at least you could get a table fairly handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rak Thai in Eglinton Street for sale..didn't give it much time to develop a base of business.

Jaysus they didn't give it much time. Feels like only a couple of months since it opened to much fanfare. Been a bit longer than that but surely it takes time to let the name get out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

Heard that PP has been approved for further retail outlets in Knocknacarra beside Dunnes. Anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Redo91 wrote: »
    Heard that PP has been approved for further retail outlets in Knocknacarra beside Dunnes. Anyone know if this is true?

whats PP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Quay Street buildings set for conservation works.

City planners have given their backing to a proposal to make various changes to buildings at Quay Street and Quay Lane.

Glen Aran Limited has been granted planning permission to renovate Number 25 Quay Street and Numbers 2 to 5 Quay Lane.

The development involves the change of use from a disused mill and residential to retail space.

The application included a series of conservation works as the buildings at Quay Lane are protected structures.

In granting permission for the works, the city council has imposed 18 conditions.

One condition stipulates that the proposed ‘Aran Sweater Market’ signage at the upper level of Number 25 Quay Street fronting onto Quay Lane must be left out of the plans.

Also, proposed canopies on the Quay Street and Quay Lane frontage are not permitted.

This is in the interests of the preservation and improvement of the heritage buildings and protected structures.

The developer must also hire a suitably qualified archaeologist to carry out pre-development testing at the site and submit a report.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

whats PP

Planning permission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

whats PP
    Planning permission

That's gas.
    Because I always thought it was Parish Priest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Redo91 wrote: »

Applied rather than approved perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

D Trent wrote: »
    That's gas.

I thought Paddy Power were setting up an office there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

New burger place where Pura Vida used to be. Right at the end of Quay Street, beside Jury's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

New burger place where Pura Vida used to be. Right at the end of Quay Street, beside Jury's.

This is it http://burgatory.ie/.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Another coffee shop (Mocha Beans) opening up in former I Supply premises Lower Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

D Trent wrote: »
    That's gas.

Easy to confuse an environmental with an ecumenical matter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What a monstrosity of a name, The Burgatory which replaces the pleasant Pura Vida cafe at the bottom of High St.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What a monstrosity of a name, The Burgatory which replaces the pleasant Pura Vida cafe at the bottom of High St.

That's what happens when you mess with the Parish Priest. Burgers in reparation for your sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

New Thai restaurant/takeaway in Liosbán called Khow Thai. Had a takeaway from there this evening, delicious.

New Thai restaurant/takeaway in Liosbán called Khow Thai. Had a takeaway from there this evening, delicious.
    Saw a menu for them in work with placeholders for the name address and contact details.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Stock Exchange Public House Ltd (Registered Address: 34 Shop St, Galway) was placed into voluntary liquidation on 17/7/2017 (source, page 1005).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote: »
    The Stock Exchange Public House Ltd (Registered Address: 34 Shop St, Galway) was placed into voluntary liquidation on 17/7/2017 (source, page 1005).

What a grave loss to the city :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

There are plans for a new restaurant at a protected structure in the city centre.

Bia Star Limited has applied for planning permission to change the first and second floor residence to a restaurant at 57 Lower Dominick Street.

The application also seeks to convert offices at the ground floor to restaurant use.

A decision is expected from the city council in August.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Guffy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    What a grave loss to the city :pac:

Had a team night out with our opponants once a couple of years ago. One of their lads had a bottle of miller filled with a cpt. Morgans home brew. As we got to the door of stock exchange he offered it around before dumping it. One of ours, thinking it was miller, took it, necked it and proceeded to puke all over the place 5 yards from the bouncers. When he finished he walked straight in. Good times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

The food here is fantastic. It was worth trying to find them ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Another +1. Very tasty. They have several of their mains for €7 during lunch (until 4pm).

There are plans for a new restaurant at a protected structure in the city centre.

Bia Star Limited has applied for planning permission to change the first and second floor residence to a restaurant at 57 Lower Dominick Street.

The application also seeks to convert offices at the ground floor to restaurant use.

A decision is expected from the city council in August.

That's the former Galway Taxis office.

There's also a planning app on the building next to Carrolls (ex MacAlindens), from memory looking to town it into a 36(?) bed boutique hotel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Go bus has moved offices, same street but down a few buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭motley

Head Record Store has opened downstairs in Corbett Court where the bookshop used to be. It is mainly concentrating on Vinyl and has a big selection. Nice to see a new music shop in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Go bus has moved offices, same street but down a few buildings

I've been wondering what was going into that premises for ages. It used to be an Italian restaurant at one point, been behind hoardings for a few months then sitting with counter visible but no real sign as to what it actually was until a couple of days back.
    So much more spacious than the mini office it has been up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

Stevolende wrote: »
    I've been wondering what was going into that premises for ages. It used to be an Italian restaurant at one point, been behind hoardings for a few months then sitting with counter visible but no real sign as to what it actually was until a couple of days back.
    So much more spacious than the mini office it has been up to now.

Growing up I remember it being a great grocery store/ butcher called Sean Loughnanes (I think). Then it became a Chinese, then an Italian..and the Italian changed names or got in new owners. There has been nothing in there since for about 3 years.

It will be interesting to see what goes into the building a few doors down, on the corner. There has been work going on recently and I heard a Polish market but not sure how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

eyresquare wrote: »
    Growing up I remember it being a great grocery store/ butcher called Sean Loughnanes (I think). Then it became a Chinese, then an Italian..and the Italian changed names or got in new owners. There has been nothing in there since for about 3 years.

It will be interesting to see what goes into the building a few doors down, on the corner. There has been work going on recently and I heard a Polish market but not sure how true that is.

I loved loughnanes, thought it always did well,wish it lasted :(

• Advertisement

eyresquare wrote: »

You mean the former Anglo-Irish building?

There was a planning app to put a large back-packer hostel in there I think, but it was declined.

Would be a real shame if the upper floors aren't used for offices, there's a real lack of decent office space in the city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement