Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Bredabe wrote: »
    Anyone know a panel beater/spray painter who can fix a small bump to a front car light?
    The big names are too expensive.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057210646

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Joyce’s Supermarket Group is set to buy all 4 Nestor Supervalu supermarkets in Galway.

Nestor’s supermarkets, which are currently in receivership, includes stores at Fr. Griffin Road, Ballybane and Doughiska.

Joyces was established in 1951 and has stores in Headford, Athenry, Tuam, Indreabhán and Knocknacarra.

Once the proposed transaction is complete, the 4 Galway Nestor stores will be re-branded under the Joyce name.

Joyces says it will work with employees at the Nestor stores and additional career and promotion opportunities will be available to new and existing staff.

The deal will have to be approved by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/joyces-supermarket-group-buy-nestors-galway-stores/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

Joyce’s Supermarket Group is set to buy all 4 Nestor Supervalu supermarkets in Galway.

Nestor’s supermarkets, which are currently in receivership, includes stores at Fr. Griffin Road, Ballybane and Doughiska.

Joyces was established in 1951 and has stores in Headford, Athenry, Tuam, Indreabhán and Knocknacarra.

Once the proposed transaction is complete, the 4 Galway Nestor stores will be re-branded under the Joyce name.

Joyces says it will work with employees at the Nestor stores and additional career and promotion opportunities will be available to new and existing staff.

The deal will have to be approved by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/joyces-supermarket-group-buy-nestors-galway-stores/

Is SuperValu in Oranmore Nestors too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Redo91 wrote: »
    Is SuperValu in Oranmore Nestors too?

Yup. Huge loss for Musgraves not having a proper Sv in Galway now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The Supervalu off-licence on Father Griffin road was (imo) the best in the city. I hope they keep the range of stock and the staff that know what to order in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Good to see a locally based business grow.

Yup. Huge loss for Musgraves not having a proper Sv in Galway now.

As long as the jobs aren't effected in the store there I'll be glad to see Joyces rather than SuperValu!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Redo91 wrote: »
    As long as the jobs aren't effected in the store there I'll be glad to see Joyces rather than SuperValu!

Why would a consumer want fewer options and less competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

branie2 wrote: »
    Do they sell Blu-rays too?

Pretty good selection of Blu Rays from what I saw, wasn't exactly looking out for them.

Loads of anime, which was surprising. Close proximity to Sub City might help out there

• Advertisement

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Why would a consumer want fewer options and less competition?

Well I prefer Joyces so naturally I'm glad that they will be in my hometown rather than the nearest one being in either Knocknacarra or Athenry.

J o e wrote: »
    The Supervalu off-licence on Father Griffin road was (imo) the best in the city. I hope they keep the range of stock and the staff that know what to order in.

Never been there Joyces in knocknacarra, do they have any sort of craft range? The Fr Griffin one was decent alright and the Ballybane one had been improving steadily the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Where is the Supervalu in Doughiska?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

flazio wrote: »

I can't place it. Unless they mean Oranmore?

My guess would be the Centra (which is another Musgrave brand) was run by Nestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

It's the Centra in Doughiska.

SuperValu and Centra are both Musgrave brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Think they might mean the centra

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Never been there Joyces in knocknacarra, do they have any sort of craft range? The Fr Griffin one was decent alright and the Ballybane one had been improving steadily the last while.

Joyce's have a very decent range of craft beers to be fair.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Joyce's have a very decent range of craft beers to be fair.

Might have to overlook the rest of the horror stories ive heard about them so to avail of their fine beverages.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Joyce's are expensive for the craft beer and not as good with the weekly offers like super valu...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I treat Joyce's as an awesome Kwik-E-Mart. Seems less hassle to park than Dunnes/Aldi when only picking up a handful of things. Nice deli, authentic pizza, fried chicken for tempting grub. Goya's cakes for occasions. Wooden buckets of tasty tapas for wine. Good place to pick up goodies for a bbq. Regular deals on steak. Nice craft selection and always deals on wine/spirits.

I don't go there for my main shop but I do end up there often enough for this or that. Interesting seeing them consistently innovate and manage to stay relevant even with big competition down the road. They recently added a postal counter and asian street food / pulled pork to the deli. That place is always changing to keep you coming back. I say good on 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Joyces beer section is pretty good tbf. Only real issue I have is that the bakery bit usually has a couple of flies hovering around the food which isn't a great sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

I was just about to post the following when I noticed that the opening had been cancelled according to the FB event page https://www.facebook.com/events/343196099441312/. Does anyone have any info on what's going on here?

New market opening in Áras na nGael in Dominick Street today. Lovely day for it. Glad to see this happening and hope it does well. Info here: https://thetaste.ie/wp/galway-getting-new-bilingual-market-opens-tomorrow/.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I treat Joyce's as an awesome Kwik-E-Mart. Seems less hassle to park than Dunnes/Aldi when only picking up a handful of things. Nice deli, authentic pizza, fried chicken for tempting grub. Goya's cakes for occasions. Wooden buckets of tasty tapas for wine. Good place to pick up goodies for a bbq. Regular deals on steak. Nice craft selection and always deals on wine/spirits.

I don't go there for my main shop but I do end up there often enough for this or that. Interesting seeing them consistently innovate and manage to stay relevant even with big competition down the road. They recently added a postal counter and asian street food / pulled pork to the deli. That place is always changing to keep you coming back. I say good on 'em.

I wouldn't go there for a big shop either but the parking layout is a disaster. Most cars at the front reverse out of their space which is dangerous. Used to get a Sunday lunch at the deli but over time discovered the quality simply was not there. The roast beef too tough and the mashed spuds too insipid. Sometimes carrots not well enough cooked. Deli always understaffed on a Sunday. Always under pressure. Change of chefs too I understand. Generally expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I guess Joyces take over will put an end to the online grocery delivery service Supervalu had. It's a pity to take away that element of competition from Tesco.

Worrying development for Eye Cinema and G Hotel. Enters examinership. Apparently IMC are going to be running things under this examinership.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/g-hotel-and-eye-cinema-in-galway-enter-examinership-1.3197215

Worrying development for Eye Cinema and G Hotel. Enters examinership. Apparently IMC are going to be running things under this examinership.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/g-hotel-and-eye-cinema-in-galway-enter-examinership-1.3197215

Seems odd that they have recently received planning permission for the development of the underground floor if things were in such peril.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

IMC were appointed operators when the group entered Receivership..

The existing operators were then successful in having an examiner appointed, therefore the existing operator is back in control with court protection for 100 days.

IMC are out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I guess Joyces take over will put an end to the online grocery delivery service Supervalu had. It's a pity to take away that element of competition from Tesco.

Joyce's have a delivery service so maybe they will look at keeping the online aspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Joyces have been in court a few times e.g. rancid meat and displaying one price but over charging at the till. Chancers.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shop-fined-4000-for-keeping-rotten-meat-26439074.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shops-forced-to-pay-the-price-for-overcharging-customers-26361901.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement