Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Wompa1 wrote: »

I am not a fan of Joyce's by any means and tend to avoid them, but in the interest of fairness it has to be said that the two articles you are linking are 10 and 11 years old.
    Also overcharging is quite a common problem. I find that SuperValu (Fr. Griffin) is an expert in it. You always have to check your receipt very carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I find that SuperValu (Fr. Griffin) is an expert in it. You always have to check your receipt very carefully.

That used to be my local shop and they were notorious for having offers on the shelf and charging full price at the till. It happened with most shops. They'd close up the till and have a long slow check of the offer on the shelf if you pointed out the errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Bredabe

J o e wrote: »
    That used to be my local shop and they were notorious for having offers on the shelf and charging full price at the till. It happened with most shops. They'd close up the till and have a long slow check of the offer on the shelf if you pointed out the errors.
    Had pretty much the same experiences in Joyces in Knocknacarra, took an hour even tho, the ad on the paper and on shelf were in agreement and the till was didn't reflect this. An easy fix I would have thought.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I don't use Joyces myself so I don't know that it's true but there were a lot of complaints (more than 10) about out of date food on the facebook pages of local papers who posted about this takeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I don't use Joyces myself so I don't know that it's true but there were a lot of complaints (more than 10) about out of date food on the facebook pages of local papers who posted about this takeover.

I've seen out of date food there and been overcharged at the till (I make a big deal of checking my receipt now). I think they stock a huge variety of foods which is good but they can't cope with date checking and price checking on such a vast range. I buy a basket of bits there occasionally but wouldn't do a full shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I heard today Cruinniu in Ballybrit Business Park is closed. Notice on door thanking customers.

Shame as the food was good. It was very busy the past few months, so surprised it's shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I heard today Cruinniu in Ballybrit Business Park is closed. Notice on door thanking customers.

Shame as the food was good. It was very busy the past few months, so surprised it's shut.
    It's now 'chríochnaithe'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

"Lidl also has some additional sites in Galway and Cork but will take time to get those sites through planning."
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/lidl-boss-targets-200-irish-shops-in-700m-expansion-35994450.html

Anyone know where in Galway the potential Lidl sites are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Guffy

etselbbuns wrote: »
    "Lidl also has some additional sites in Galway and Cork but will take time to get those sites through planning."
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/lidl-boss-targets-200-irish-shops-in-700m-expansion-35994450.html

Anyone know where in Galway the potential Lidl sites are?

Hardly still the knocknacarra (ballymoneen rd) site?

Guffy wrote: »
    Hardly still the knocknacarra (ballymoneen rd) site?

No, that site was sold not too long ago. AFAIK the plan is to build houses there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 manageit

Cafe in Leisureland closed for the last week or so. Sign on door announcing renovations, but nothing being done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

youngrun wrote: »

Link does nowt, on mobile anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Link does nowt, on mobile anyway.

Probably becasue they've just gone bust. - Meeting of creditors to appoint a liquidator due 18th Sept.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Probably becasue they've just gone bust. - Meeting of creditors to appoint a liquidator due 18th Sept.

Yes, sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

The Galway Independent is gone?

Seems like it. Didn't get one this morning as usual and none in the Corner Shop when I bought the Irish Times.
    Not surprised really, the GI had been going downhill for quite some time.

Hope all employees find another job soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Actually got bits of news from the Independent

Liquidation unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

CeilingFly wrote: »

Why? the paper was out last week I don't see why it would be any different this week.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Why? the paper was out last week I don't see why it would be any different this week.

Once notice of meeting to appoint a liquidator became known no printing firm is going to risk not getting paid for their work particularly as its a freesheet which relies totally on advertising income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The only thing worth reading in the Galway Independent was Willy Henry's regular history piece. The quality of the rest of the paper was abysmal. Hopefully he'll get a regular column in one of the other local papers.

Sad for the staff. Hopefully they'll be treated property and get work elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭bobbyss

?Cee?view wrote:
    The only thing worth reading in the Galway Independent was Willy Henry's regular history piece. The quality of the rest of the paper was abysmal. Hopefully he'll get a regular column in one of the other local papers.

Exactly and I hope he gets an outlet for his talent somewhere. Abysmal it was. At least it wasn't as impossible to hold as the Advertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

bobbyss wrote:
    Exactly and I hope he gets an outlet for his talent somewhere. Abysmal it was. At least it wasn't as impossible to hold as the Advertiser

I'd say the only thing keeping the advertiser going is the auctioneers, Joyce's and dunnes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Advertiser isn't bad for a free paper. There's some decent stuff in there and it's usually worth a flick through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Advertiser isn't bad for a free paper. There's some decent stuff in there and it's usually worth a flick through.

I find it great.........for wrapping my food waste in. Years ago when it actually printed news stories it had some value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

They had a bizarre 'article' last week that obviously wasn't written by a local that, in my opinion, should have been flagged as an advert, not journalistic content or whatever you'd call it.
    Galway have won six and drawn one of their last ten games in the league and cup, a run of form that suggests their odds are worth monitoring at Unibet as the season reaches its climax.

The bold portion was a dodgy looking link purporting to be a Unibet site, which I have my doubts about.

And they used a pic of a player that is no longer at the club, but that would hardly be a first time for the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, but for a free paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They had a bizarre 'article' last week that obviously wasn't written by a local that, in my opinion, should have been flagged as an advert, not journalistic content or whatever you'd call it.

Many stories in free newspapers aren't written in-house, they're press releases sent from companies/politicians that are published in the paper.

It's not just free newspapers that do this, but free ones tend to do it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's a free paper. No doubt if they put a charge on it, even with better stories, people would moan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement