Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Many stories in free newspapers aren't written in-house, they're press releases sent from companies/politicians that are published in the paper.

It's not just free newspapers that do this, but free ones tend to do it more.

This is fairly well known. Purposely disguising an ad as a sports article is what I have issue with.

Edit: If that's what has happened that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It's a free paper. No doubt if they put a charge on it, even with better stories, people would moan.

Obviously some would but if it was of good enough quality then a reasonable price would be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

No more than the observer before it these small independent papers will have a tough time surviving. That said i always read through it as i do with the advertiser so hope something comes along to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Guffy

As far as i know, the indo didnt have and internal sports department. The sport section was done by a third party and was essentially "a favour". Cant remember the guys name, Fallon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

Guffy wrote: »
    As far as i know, the indo didnt have and internal sports department. The sport section was done by a third party and was essentially "a favour". Cant remember the guys name, Fallon?

John Fallon always covered the rugby anyhow. It was probably him that ran it.

• Advertisement

Redo91 wrote: »
    John Fallon always covered the rugby anyhow. It was probably him that ran it.

That's the lad. His company provided, or at least used to, the sport content for the indo. This was a number of years ago, unsure if it is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Obviously some would but if it was of good enough quality then a reasonable price would be okay.

How do you rank the Connacht / City Tribune?

FWIW, for display advertising that I've purchased, the tribune cost approx 1/3 of what the Advertiser did for the same ad - and got better results (possibly because less ads = better position in the paper).

How do you rank the Connacht / City Tribune?

FWIW, for display advertising that I've purchased, the tribune cost approx 1/3 of what the Advertiser did for the same ad - and got better results (possibly because less ads = better position in the paper).

Tribune is grand, plenty of actual news articles etc. Far more informative than the advertiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Tribune is grand, plenty of actual news articles etc. Far more informative than the advertiser.

It is grand but it will be the next local print media casualty me thinks.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Why? Sells better than most papers on a friday feom what i see.

• Advertisement

Based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

What is this thread about!?

i thought it was Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

topcat77 wrote:
    i thought it was Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

topcat77 wrote:
    What is this thread about!?

Cue backlash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

?Cee?view wrote: »
    The only thing worth reading in the Galway Independent was Willy Henry's regular history piece. The quality of the rest of the paper was abysmal. Hopefully he'll get a regular column in one of the other local papers.

Sad for the staff. Hopefully they'll be treated property and get work elsewhere.

Wm Henry knows his local history.

Hope he continues to write somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I was talking to someone in Supervalu today and she was saying all the Supervalu brand produce is being taken off the shelves from today in case you have any favourites you want! They'll be getting in food from the cash and carry to keep going themselves for now but Joyce's aren't taking over until Oct 29th!

Oh and there's no online shopping and delivery service planned. That's over as of today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I was talking to someone in Supervalu today and she was saying all the Supervalu brand produce is being taken off the shelves from today in case you have any favourites you want! They'll be getting in food from the cash and carry to keep going themselves for now but Joyce's aren't taking over until Oct 29th!

Oh and there's no online shopping and delivery service planned. That's over as of today too.

I will miss the Superquinn sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

sgthighway wrote: »
    I will miss the Superquinn sausages.

You can get them in most centra's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Same happened when they took over the SuperValu in Indreabhán, they sold off all the SuperValu branded stuff quickly and cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Same happened when they took over the SuperValu in Indreabhán, they sold off all the SuperValu branded stuff quickly and cheaply

Well she said "all that will be taken off the shelves now today and tomorrow" so I actually assumed they were packing it up and sending it back.

Seems strange to have over a month before the take over though. If I was starting a business I wouldn't leave a month hanging in the balance when the places reputation could either rise or fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

anyone hear about potential Nando's coming to Galway???

• Advertisement

Wasnt there a 5 guys meant to come too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

I heard Mr Waffle is opening in Salthill soon, don't know where though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Delighted to see the old Waterfront premises on the prom is to let. It's been a shame to see a big premises like that in such a great location unoccupied for so long.Hope a decent bar/restaurant opens there. Or cafe/retail like McCambridges would be fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Guffy wrote: »
    Wasnt there a 5 guys meant to come too?

No I think there's been a mix up
    You see Toni and Guy took on 3 new lads there recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Delighted to see the old Waterfront premises on the prom is to let. It's been a shame to see a big premises like that in such a great location unoccupied for so long.Hope a decent bar/restaurant opens there. Or cafe/retail like McCambridges would be fantastic.
    I
    I always thought that would make a great market or family shop supermarket type place.
    Parking could be a small issue. I would hate to see another restaurant or the like there. No shortage of them.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Bredabe wrote: »
    I
    I always thought that would make a great market or family shop supermarket type place.
    Parking could be a small issue. I would hate to see another restaurant or the like there. No shortage of them.

I'm glad to see something being done with it. With the Eglinton hoping to convert to holiday apartments it could lift that section of Salthill. Having said that for 6 months of the year you have Galway Bay rain and storms coming in the front door so that could be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Bredabe

westgolf wrote: »
    I'm glad to see something being done with it. With the Eglinton hoping to convert to holiday apartments it could lift that section of Salthill. Having said that for 6 months of the year you have Galway Bay rain and storms coming in the front door so that could be a factor.

Honestly, I would be shocked if it turns out to be anything useful to the resident community, given the strong and in my view limited focus on tourism.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

kefir32 wrote: »

No but I hope this is true.

kefir32 wrote: »

No but I hope this is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭testtech05

Has wooza been closed for long? Just walked by for first time in a while yesterday but seen it was all closed up. Pity, I was only there once but it was very nice!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement