Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

?Cee?view wrote: »
    And that An Taisce objected to it being developed in the first place and are objecting to the state it's in due to its not being redeveloped!
    And said developer isn't in good shape to develop it anymore.....
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/g-hotel-owner-gerry-barrett-wins-appeal-on-examinership-1.3243915

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Thanks! Hopefully something will happen there soon. Such a shame it's been left in that state for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anyone know what happened to Tosnu restaurant? They were happily posting invites to brunch on Facebook a week or two ago.

Walked past last night and seems they're gone without a trace.

Turned into Hangry Hot Dogs.

Brogans pub on Prospect Hill is closed for a week or so now. No signs up, but I've now seen it closed and reliable sources say its due to family reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Brogans pub on Prospect Hill is closed for a week or so now. No signs up, but I've now seen it closed and reliable sources say its due to family reasons.

That was up for rent on Daft a couple of months ago. Something about only experienced operators who can run it as a theme pub only need apply iirc (could be difficult if the building is still in the same ownership as was). I'm not around those parts these days so I'm a bit behind with the schandal.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Ah right, so Cookes' Corner Shop rather than a shop at Cookes' Corner. I was lost ... now I'm not ... I think :D

Dunno about that shop

That had some connection to the Kebab House I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

New off licence opening in unit beside new gobus/ former loughnanes premises at Foster court.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

manageit wrote: »
    Cafe in Leisureland closed for the last week or so. Sign on door announcing renovations, but nothing being done.

This could explain it
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1009/910905-food-closures/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Tosnú was seriously good. Why did they close?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

Tosnú was seriously good. Why did they close?

We felt the same - had quite a few 'date night' meals there with my other half and thought it was excellent. We actually tried to work out if they might have gone broke due to only being able to seat small amounts of people - the place could only fit maybe 20 at a time and needed about 4 staff to operate. Maybe the numbers just didn't add up?

We're hoping maybe it was just so successful they needed to move to a bigger premises and will magically reappear somewhere else!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

westgolf wrote: »
    Cooke's corner shop in shantalla seems to be closed any time I pass lately.
    I never understood how that shop was in business. It was adjacent to Joyce's Spar/Mace for yonks which closed down years ago and just up the road from Dunnes and Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

I never understood how that shop was in business.

Renting themselves out as a film set:

https://www.facebook.com/ScoilBhrideShantalla/videos/1073615279437237/

Former topaz oil tank farm being demolished in the docks. Area behind mor oil service station and former Donnelly's coal yard/turbine blade storage area. Lot of cleared space in the area now. Anyone know what's happening with it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Kilkenny based coffee shop Meubles will be opening a cafe in Briarhill business park beside Furniture Connexions.

Looking for staff in this mornings Galway advertiser

D Trent wrote: »
    Kilkenny based coffee shop Meubles will be opening a cafe in Briarhill business park beside Furniture Connexions.

Looking for staff in this mornings Galway advertiser

Meubles is a furniture crowd, putting in a coffee shop within the place they took over. Kinda high end operation in their place in Kilkenny.

Permission granted for Bonham Quarter development, subject to any appeals. Do I detect a tiger beginning to growl again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

westgolf wrote: »
    Permission granted for Bonham Quarter development, subject to any appeals. Do I detect a tiger beginning to growl again ?

Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

westgolf wrote:

What is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

'subject to any appeals'

Hopefully we don't have another series of delays as has been the case for the Apple data centre in Athenry. Model looks nice, Galway could do with some investment.

'subject to any appeals'

Hopefully we don't have another series of delays as has been the case for the Apple data centre in Athenry. Model looks nice, Galway could do with some investment.

How you equate a massive data center pulling down the same amount of electricity as 4 counties worth of houses with an apartment / office block on a vacant lot, is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This Bonham Quay development proposal is very welcome and will give Galway a more "urban" feel. It looks very well too and will provide much needed office space in the city centre where it can be served by public transport and not out in some far-flung suburban "business park" which will be clogged with traffic day in, day out.

More of this please!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

More cars through Lough Atalia Road.

24hr gym opening beside TKMaxx sometime next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Laviski wrote: »
    "
    the office and retail development to create more than 500 construction jobs and about 2,600 permanent posts when the project is completed.
    "

Will be interesting when finished how people will commute and travel to "Bonham Quay".

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The ice cream shop on the corner of High Street and Cross Street seems to have closed down. The windows are blocked out and the logos removed. It was only there for a few months. I can't remember what it was called but there was a 'moo' in its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

"
    the office and retail development to create more than 500 construction jobs and about 2,600 permanent posts when the project is completed.
    "

Will be interesting when finished how people will commute and travel to "Bonham Quay".

In what way is it interesting, it will be the same way people commute and travel now!!!!

Funky Doughnuts moved to ESC from Dominic St.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

In what way is it interesting, it will be the same way people commute and travel now!!!!

Except even slower.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ratracer wrote: »
    Except even slower.....

Not necessarily.

The whole complex will take some years to build.

Public transport has improved considerably over the last 10 years, no reason why it cannot keep getting better.

Stick in a few park-n-rides around the edges of the city, and there would be few reasons for anyone to make the whole journey by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

Not necessarily.

The whole complex will take some years to build.

Public transport has improved considerably over the last 10 years, no reason why it cannot keep getting better.

Stick in a few park-n-rides around the edges of the city, and there would be few reasons for anyone to make the whole journey by car.

If the cinema development is anything to go by, traffic will be a disaster right through the build phase.

Park n rides will take a huge mindset change of the majority of the population of the city/county and any of the P&R's that have been attempted so far have been a disaster. Look at the site the city council are looking at developing in Doughiska......a disaster before it ever starts. I have a very cynical outlook on most things Galway City Council turn their hand too..... unfortunately I've not been proven wrong on many occasions to date.
    I am a county commuter but I can't get a train or bus into town at times suitable for my work, I often park and cycle in from Oranmore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

http://galwaybayfm.ie/boojum-gets-approval-eyre-square-restaurant/

Previously a Spar shop, right beside Skeffington Arms

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement