Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

video controller

Options
  • 01-06-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

can anyone help my computer wont play or detect dvd.s i have tried to down load drivers without success .I have an old dell gx280 with windows 7 it will play cd ok .I have been on dell site but found it impossible to find proper driver .....or maybe i need something else

anto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,314 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

when did this problem begin? When you updated to Windows 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

Overheal wrote: »
    when did this problem begin? When you updated to Windows 7?
    I know it sounds stupid but i am not sure i think so .on the dell site i have tried to download the video controller driver without success .Maybe it not the right driver for the problem

anto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

It is possible that the drive in your computer is a CD drive, not a DVD drive.

Prodigious wrote: »
    It is possible that the drive in your computer is a CD drive, not a DVD drive.
    never thought of that .i only got it a couple of weeks ago . I will check

anto

tony melia wrote: »
    never thought of that .i only got it a couple of weeks ago . I will check

anto
    your right it only has cd drive i never thought computers were made without dvd installed ..i think i have been conned

anto:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,314 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

something that old surely could have been. buyer beware.

Overheal wrote: »
    something that old surely could have been. buyer beware.
    only problem is something a lot older and trusting bought it ..i just assumed a computer with windows 7 would have a dvd burner i just bought it for my grandchildren to play and learn on ...Old saying there,s no fool like an old fool

anto:(

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

go to dell site... identify gpu type (likely the intel one) then go to intel and download the driver for it there

go to dell site... identify gpu type (likely the intel one) then go to intel and download the driver for it there
    will downloading a driver for a dvd player/burner work when it was not installed initally .there is only a cd burner/player on this computer...what is gpu type

anto

will downloading a driver for a dvd player/burner work when it was not installed initally .there is only a cd burner/player on this computer...what is gpu type

anto

video controller usually refers to the graphics card or tv card

gpu = graphical processor unit

cd/dvd drives would usually be referred to as an optical drive

the dell gx280 came with a dvd drive. i had one myself for a while

• Advertisement

video controller usually refers to the graphics card or tv card

gpu = graphical processor unit

cd/dvd drives would usually be referred to as an optical drive
    is it possible to download something to convert a cd burner to a cd/dvd burner ..as i said before i only have a cd burner/player in this computer . when i bought it i never thought it might be very old with windows 7 ? after a while i noticed it had a floppy disc slot . Is my only solution an external dvd burner if so it might not be worth it

anto

is it possible to download something to convert a cd burner to a cd/dvd burner ..as i said before i only have a cd burner/player in this computer . when i bought it i never thought it might be very old with windows 7 ? after a while i noticed it had a floppy disc slot . Is my only solution an external dvd burner if so it might not be worth it

anto

just buy a dvd burner drive for the computer... they cost less than 20 euros these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

just buy a dvd burner drive for the computer... they cost less than 20 euros these days

I think the GX280 has a slim optical drive, like a laptop one, and may be IDE. The cheap DVD burners are mostly SATA these days.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I think the GX280 has a slim optical drive, like a laptop one, and may be IDE. The cheap DVD burners are mostly SATA these days.

no a normal sized drive will fit it. i had one of those gx280's years ago.

op pm me and ill give you an ide dvd drive. i live in dublin

I believe they were made in normal tower and "small form factor" versions. Several of each on adverts.ie right now.

no a normal sized drive will fit it. i had one of those gx280's years ago.

op pm me and ill give you an ide dvd drive. i live in dublin
    the cd player is like one that is on a lap top very thin .Just wanted to let you know ..freddy..before i rang you ,i dont know whether it makes any difference .just to add this is not a tower ,this computer lies flat if that any help

tony

this is the specs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

this is the specs

That's only a CD drive alright, being honest as it's a slim type if you really need DVD playback your best bet likely would be an external DVD drive, these plug into a USB port/possibly 2 ports on the machine. You may find slim IDE DVD rom drives that would fit it on ebay (it looks like a fairly standard for "Dell" models so Dell IDE laptop ones should work), but do remove the current one and review the dimensions, positions of connector if you intend to go that route

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I hope you didn't pay more than €50 for that?

Skerries wrote: »
    I hope you didn't pay more than €50 for that?
    60e
    trying to figure out why there are 4 usb connections on monitor????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

60e
    trying to figure out why there are 4 usb connections on monitor????

The monitor can act as a low power USB hub, you will have to run a USB cable (probably not provided) from the monitor into a free port on the computer.

Nick

Depending on what you want to use DVDs for, maybe making ISO images of DVDs, put on USB sticks and mount as virtual drives might be an option instead of buying a new drive.

Advertisement