Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which ferry for van Dublin to UK?

• 01-06-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi,

I am heading over to the uk in 3 weeks to bring stuff over for a friend who is moving to Bristol. We will be going over in a mwb Renault master. Does anyone have any ideas on how much the ferry is for a van to the uk. Is there any ferry company people prefer over an other.

We are going to Bristol so which would be easiest hollyhead or Liverpool? All advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For Bristol I'd do Rosslare to Pembroke (Irish Ferries) or Fishguard (Stena) in south Wales. You'll be travelling at the start of the holiday season so don't expect any bargains. If I was you I'd try to do it as soon as possible, if you leave it into July it will cost a heap.

http://www.irishferries.com/en/to-britain-from-ireland/
    http://www.stenaline.ie/ferry/routes/rosslare-fishguard//

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Thats brilliant thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If I were you I would pick Fishguard over Pembroke. Roads from Pembroke to the M4 are poor and complicated. Irish Ferries will probably be better on price but going via Fishguard will make life a little easier for driving.

Also if you don't have preference driving during the day or night I would recommend that you use the evening sailing from Rosslare, you will fly down on the M4 at night will be about 4 hours if not a little less. During the day it can be very congested largely around Newport and by the time you reach there it will be very close to evening peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If I were you I would pick Fishguard over Pembroke. Roads from Pembroke to the M4 are poor and complicated. Irish Ferries will probably be better on price but going via Fishguard will make life a little easier for driving.

Also if you don't have preference driving during the day or night I would recommend that you use the evening sailing from Rosslare, you will fly down on the M4 at night will be about 4 hours if not a little less. During the day it can be very congested largely around Newport and by the time you reach there it will be very close to evening peak.

You'd nearly make it from Holyhead to Bristol in 4 hours. OP where are you starting in Ireland? Holyhead to Bristol is high class dual carriageway/motorway all the way (A55-M56-M6-M5). It's a lot more miles but depending onw here you're starting (e.g. north of Dublin) it might be a better route and certainly offers more choices of ferry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Rosslare>Fishguard with Stena, and onwards to Bristol should take you 3 hours tops. Do this route regularly (A40-M4).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

you probable get one of those man a van crowds that do the uk every week to deliver the stuff cheaper than pay 2 ferry crossing of €150-€200 each way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated. It looks like hiring a man and van is going to be cheaper. Thanks for all your advise.

Advertisement