Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screenwriter

Options
  • 01-06-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I'm a screenwriter, with a few short scripts written and a feature length. does anyone have any advice on how to get your material looked at? There only seems to be a very small handful of production companies willing to look at a synopsis. is the best way to get an agent? if so, how would you go about doing that?

if anyone out there is an amateur director looking for a writer to collaborate with I'd love to work on a project??? thanks folks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Film, unfortunately, always seems to fall to the bottom of the Arts agenda in Ireland. Unless you have a wealth of relevant experience, an 'Irish-heavy' script and good support/networking in the industry, chances of getting any kind of funding are close to zero. I know that's pessimistic, but it's the reality. Feature films are lengthy and costly productions that few people are willing to back.

You can try and bypass some of the bottom rungs by sending your script out to competitions - the Nicholls Fellowship, for example, is an annual academy-run competition where they seek out new writers with polished scripts. The standard is impossibly high, though, as you're competing with Hollywood-based writers who have been involved with film for years, but nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

The BBC accept unsolicited manuscripts as part of their Writers Room initiative too. This is for a TV format though, and again, competition is tough.

The only really accessible way (provided you've got a modicum of talent ;)) for a screenwriter to get noticed is to start from the ground up. Look for small, independent groups of filmmakers who are seeking out good scripts. These will often be student-based, with little or no money involved. You will start with shorts, which are infinitely more cost effective and generally easier to realise. Once you have a polished short, you start trawling the festival circuit until it's accepted for a screening somewhere. With the right recognition, other avenues will open.

Where do you find these filmmakers? FilmBase would be a good start - you could try a screenwriting course in there. Not only will your technique be polished but you might meet the right people to set you on the right path. Or why not post in the Film Production forum here, see if any aspiring directors are looking to collaborate with a good writer. I'm sure there's other film production forums/societies etc that you can join.

Funding is the biggest issue, but with the internet as it is, kickstart fundraising projects are becoming increasingly common. Even Zach Braff has resorted to this, but then he does have a couple of millions fans, so a bit easier for him. You can try private investment, but this is rare without any sort of reputation/guarantee. Lastly, if you're confident in your own material, you could put some of your own bucks behind it.

Basically, find a director in the same position as you. Assemble a small team who can collectively seek financing, and work away. Hope some of this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robbieryan85

thanks for that! some good advice there, I've done a couple of writing courses in filmbase. I think they run a course where you produce a short film so maybe it would be an idea to get involved with that and see if it leads anywhere. cheers!

Advertisement