Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to find out about my Case IH

Options
  • 01-06-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Was hoping someone can help me.

I have a Case IH 885L or so i believed.

After helping the cousins with some reclaiming work(carting clay with a 7x12 trailer). He was using his MF399 (very well looked after) and a same size trailer, i was more then able to keep into the 399 even on the wetter ground, and never seemed to be wanting for power.

I bought it from a neighbour but he has passed on now. Is there anyway i could find out more about the tractor???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Specs are here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

we have a 885

pound for pound IMO one of the best machines of it's era

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

jomoloney wrote: »
    we have a 885

pound for pound IMO one of the best machines of it's era

They are a fine tractor but would they have the pulling power of the 390 either ?
    We had an 884 a few years ago that was fairly gutsy , we had a 955 2wd then that was a great puller altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gigorms

moy83 wrote: »
    They are a fine tractor but would they have the pulling power of the 390 either ?
    We had an 884 a few years ago that was fairly gutsy , we had a 955 2wd then that was a great puller altogether

that's what i was thinking, shouldn't be able to keep into a 399. Its very light on diesel so am sure its not screwed. Must ask the coz if the 399 is turned down

gigorms wrote: »
    that's what i was thinking, shouldn't be able to keep into a 399. Its very light on diesel so am sure its not screwed. Must ask the coz if the 399 is turned down
    Sorry I thought it was a 390 , I think the 399 would be a better machine for pulling again but Im not an expert .
    Maybe he wasnt driving the massey on as hard as he could have .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

IMO the 390 is way over rated

reliable yes , but poor traction and one of the most uncomfortable yokes I had the misfortune to spend a couple of 16 hour days on.

a good stock man's machine ok but any contractor I know that had one couldn't get rid of it fast enough

I agree the international would be much nicer to spend a day in and the 390 would be inclined to spin the wheels a bit but I still think it would have more power than the 885

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

moy83 wrote: »

No, 390 would have more torque i'd say, not much in it though. 399 would have a fair bit more torque..

What sort of tonnage would you reckon was in the trailer? 399 should have a trailer like that fairly easily, wouldn't have either tractor pushing it imo. Maybe it's just down to the driving style/driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mccank2

Have 1991 399 2wd 12 speed & a 4360 4x4 and they are good to pull.

My point being I think your cousin wasnt shoeing it. if its clay in a field

Advertisement