Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 3GS in strange unlocked state.

• 01-06-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭

I wonder if any of you knowledgable people can assist me with an acquired iPhone 3GS which demonstrates odd behaviour.

I got this model from a friend who had replaced it with the then latest model; it was in a terrible state physically but still working. I had its back and front screen replaced and it is now as new.

She cannot answer any of my questions but the phone is not jailbroken (as I have brought it up to the latest firmware) and neither is it locked. Yet, while it takes every SIM I throw at it, it necessitates activating each and every time. Why is this?

I have several factory-unlocked iPhones already and none of them behaves like this. Put in any SIM domestic or foreign and away it goes, yet this model requires OTA activating each and every time I SIM-swap (and therefore an adjacent wifi network).

Thoughts, anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Only time I had a 3GS it was on 3.1.3 and it took ages for activation. I sold it when the 4 came out and can't remember if it had to be activated after I got it unlocked by 02.

Surely it has to be unlocked if any sim is working in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

guil wrote: »
    Only time I had a 3GS it was on 3.1.3 and it took ages for activation. I sold it when the 4 came out and can't remember if it had to be activated after I got it unlocked by 02.

It is unlocked. That's the strange thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

guil wrote: »

Sorry, I made an error in my description. The phone IS unlocked. It just requires a bit of a rigmarole when sim-swapping.

Advertisement