Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anybody else find it annoying that they do a Halloween night two days after the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭Heroditas

murpho999 wrote: »
    Anybody else find it annoying that they do a Halloween night two days after the event?

Not half as annoying as the ridiculous over-marking.

Finally finished watching it - very disappointing show.
    The singers were brutal, again.

I'm actually not sure who was worse for the last dance, Dave or Karen. For a pro, she was very poor.
    Mark was criminally under marked compared to Ben Cohen. Maybe Mark should have just taken his top off.
    Abbie's rumba was a bit limp.
    Ola's dance was the best, at least it did what it said on the tin.
    Natalie's dance was another that was ridiculously over marked. A Vienesse waltz that was, in reality, some sort of contemporary nonsense.
    Sophie and Brendan were one couple who actually got marked properly. As a result, she is near the bottom because 8s and 9s got thrown around like confetti.
    Bruce was a disgrace. He never listens to people and trundles on with his lines regardless of what everyone else says.

The whole show just felt rushed. Please get rid of all the stupid montages.
    One to forget.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

murpho999 wrote: »

It's to take in Guy Fawkes on the 5th I'd imagine.

Enjoyed tonights show....Patrick was excellent and I really liked Natalie's waltz..you could really tell she came from a musical background.

Dave to go now please!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I thought the costumes and make-up tonight were fantastic.

I thought Patrick, Suzanna, Abbey, Ben and Ashley all performed well tonight.

I think Rachel was lucky that she had the American Smooth, it is one of the easier dances.

What the hell was Iveta thinking when she came up with her Paso Doble choreography??!! Mark really got bad marks because of it.

Also Artem's Viennese waltz was not very waltz-y, nonetheless Natalie is ridiculously good and she did deserve the high scores.

I think Sophie was under-marked compared to some of the celebs.

Dave & Karen's jive was so cringe. Most of the celebs danced better in week 1 compared to Dave tonight. There were hardly any jive steps even in it. Poor Deborah must be sick that she's gone, and Dave is still in it. He has shown ZERO improvement after 5 weeks. He must be one of the weakest celebs ever on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Heroditas wrote: »
    Mark was criminally under marked compared to Ben Cohen. Maybe Mark should have just taken his top off.

What?? I love Mark and Iveta but that Paso was bloody horrible! What was with all those disco moves in the middle!?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grid. wrote: »
    It's to take in Guy Fawkes on the 5th I'd imagine.

No it was all about Halloween and Guy Fawkes was never mentioned.
    Something that bothers me but obviously not too many here.

I do wish they would change the format of the show. The training clips look tired and staged and just aren't funny. Makes the show too long and is eating into the dancing and judges' time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Just saw Ben's Dance 9! (Deducting one for shaving his chest :D )

efb wrote: »
    Just saw Ben's Dance 9! (Deducting one for shaving his chest :D )
    It was waxed - and he didn't cry, scream or even grimace. What a MAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Just watching it now
    I love patrick
    Thought fiona wasnt great definetly some timing issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/ola-jordan-threatens-quit-strictly-2670862

I there was something about that Karen girl I didn't like!

Imagine taking on Ola - she's brave if nothing else! I'm just surprised Ola (and/or James) didn't eat her for breakfast :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Imagine taking on Ola - she's brave if nothing else! I'm just surprised Ola (and/or James) didn't eat her for breakfast :D

Poor Ola

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2436099/Hot-foxtrot-Strictly-Come-Dancings-Ola-Jordan-looks-sensational-frolics-beach-2014-calendar.html

Love Karen with Dave. She's as mad as he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

And I thought Aliona was apparently the "mean girl". Seems they're all catty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Poor Rachel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Wow really feel sorry for Rachel. Neither of those girls deserved to be in the dance off tonight.

bopper wrote: »
    What?? I love Mark and Iveta but that Paso was bloody horrible! What was with all those disco moves in the middle!?

Ben's wasn't any great shakes either. It looked like a wardrobe on wheels being swung around the floor.

Ben's wasn't any great shakes either. It looked like a wardrobe on wheels being swung around the floor.

It certainly wasn't the dance of the night but at least it was a Paso all the way through. Obviously Mark and Iveta are going to lose a lot of marks when at times they weren't even dancing the dance they were given!

It's strange to see Pasha leave so early considering he was runner up the past two series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

So Dave survives once again...

He seemed shocked about not even being in the dance-off, and guilty following Rachel's elimination.

Is it possible, then, that if he keeps on surviving, he'll think "I can't win this - it wouldn't be at all good for the show, or for me", just as John Sergeant did?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

I'm sorry but do people find that Susannah woman likable? I actually like Abbey obviously the UK voters don't.

Sad to see Rachel go I find her likable too. :( Not amazing at dancing but still she seems a nice girl.

• Advertisement

It certainly wasn't the dance of the night but at least it was a Paso all the way through. Obviously Mark and Iveta are going to lose a lot of marks when at times they weren't even dancing the dance they were given!

A what now? It certainly was not a Paso all the way through. It had a few basic Paso steps. Very basic Paso steps.
    The guy is getting smoke blown up his @rse. I've nothing against him but he's getting eulogised on the show.

The main issue is the complete inconsistency in the marking. It's beyond a joke at this stage. It's getting as bad as the American version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's getting as bad as the American version.

Such double standards. Imagine if they spoke about the women's physiques in the way they talk about Bens?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

The main issue is the complete inconsistency in the marking. It's beyond a joke at this stage. It's getting as bad as the American version.

Completely agree. Natalie getting 10's last night for doing a contemporary dance with 30 secs of Viennese Waltz was just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's strange to see Pasha leave so early considering he was runner up the past two series.

Pasha is my favourite pro. He looked gutted.

Mister R wrote: »
    I'm sorry but do people find that Susannah woman likable?

I find her likeable but I do think she's getting some unfair favouritism from the producers. Like closing the show twice in three weeks for example.

A what now? It certainly was not a Paso all the way through. It had a few basic Paso steps. Very basic Paso steps.
    The guy is getting smoke blown up his @rse. I've nothing against him but he's getting eulogised on the show.

Well do you actually come from a dance background? Maybe you do, in which case fair enough, but I personally I feel that each of the judges are professionals with decades in the industry so if they're the marks they see fit the give, I don't really argue with it. Plus there are things such as footwork that's a lot easier for the judges to see. Last year Kimberley got complimented for the placing of her thumb during the tango! Things like that the viewer just wouldn't notice.

At least the public gets 50% of the vote (which usually has much more of an effect on the overall vote than the judges scores) so if people disagree they get to have their say if they choose. However, if tonight's result proves anything it's that when the public ignore the judges scores and vote of their own accord, they usually make a balls of it.

Well do you actually come from a dance background? Maybe you do, in which case fair enough, but I personally I feel that each of the judges are professionals with decades in the industry so if they're the marks they see fit the give, I don't really argue with it. Plus there are things such as footwork that's a lot easier for the judges to see. Last year Kimberley got complimented for the placing of her thumb during the tango! Things like that the viewer just wouldn't notice.

At least the public gets 50% of the vote (which usually has much more of an effect on the overall vote than the judges scores) so if people disagree they get to have their say if they choose. However, if tonight's result proves anything it's that when the public ignore the judges scores and vote of their own accord, they usually make a balls of it.

I have done ballroom and Latin dancing in the past.
    My wife competes at amateur level and is taught by a friend of ours who is an ex Irish ballroom champion who danced professionally with the likes of James and Ola, Matt Cutler, Kevin etc.
    I wouldn't know as much as my wife or our friend but they have expressed the same sentiments and have been utterly scathing of how the show has degenerated in the last couple of seasons.

Bear in mind that Bruno and Craig have zero ballroom and Latin dancing experience! The only person who really knows what he's talking about is Len but he allows himself to be swayed by the male dancers as long as they're sportsmen or "lads lads"

It's a real pity but the show has dropped in standard in the last few seasons. A lot of the pros are quite poor and do not come from a Latin or ballroom background. Some were dancers on Burn the Floor, hardly ballroom pedigree. It's all about eye candy nowadays and dumbing the show down to ensure it competes against the likes of X Factor.
    At least Ian Waite, Matt Cutler, Karen Hardy, Erin Boag etc are proper dancers.
    Karen Hauer etc simply shouldn't be there.

Rant over for another week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

Couldn't believe Abbey ended up in the dance off. I think she could go all the way. I think it was a case of the public assuming she would be safe because she was so good and not voting for her.

Dave seemed to apologise to Rachel when she ended up in the dance off. He may start to feel a bit guilty that obviously better dancers are being kicked of an he's being kept. I really like him, but he definitely should have gone this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I fully agree. Mark was really poor tonight. It felt like they just rehashed the disco-y dance they've done twice before. The marking over all is getting a bit ridiculous. The same with the comments, telling Ben he was fantastic was just laughable. I think they've just decided to sacrifice quality for "entertainment" and bare chests. Personally I preferred it when it was taken more seriously, it felt a little cut above the likes of X factor.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Have to call shenanagins on this! That sounds totally fabricated. Ola has had the lead role in every single pro dance this year. I'm nearly sick of looking at her. It's never nice if someone is unkind but that "insult" was so wide of the mark it bordered on ironic. Why Ola would be devastated by it?

• Advertisement

I have done ballroom and Latin dancing in the past.
    My wife competes at amateur level and is taught by a friend of ours who is an ex Irish ballroom champion who danced professionally with the likes of James and Ola, Matt Cutler, Kevin etc.
    I wouldn't know as much as my wife or our friend but they have expressed the same sentiments and have been utterly scathing of how the show has degenerated in the last couple of seasons.

Bear in mind that Bruno and Craig have zero ballroom and Latin dancing experience! The only person who really knows what he's talking about is Len but he allows himself to be swayed by the male dancers as long as they're sportsmen or "lads lads"

It's a real pity but the show has dropped in standard in the last few seasons. A lot of the pros are quite poor and do not come from a Latin or ballroom background. Some were dancers on Burn the Floor, hardly ballroom pedigree. It's all about eye candy nowadays and dumbing the show down to ensure it competes against the likes of X Factor.
    At least Ian Waite, Matt Cutler, Karen Hardy, Erin Boag etc are proper dancers.
    Karen Hauer etc simply shouldn't be there.

Rant over for another week! :)

Well as I said if you have a dance background fair enough, you obviously pick up on more things than the average viewer would. I think it's probably a bit harsh to say Craig, Dracey and Bruno don't know what they're talking about though.

From my perspective I can't really say I've noticed the show degenerating, I never really remember it coming across as a professional ballroom show. I could definitely do without the skits during the training montages but apart form that I haven't noticed anything that seems like a "dumbing down" of the show.

If anyone is responsible for the show being dumbed down it's the viewers who keep the likes of Dave, Russell Grant and Anne Widdecombe in week after week. Even back in the very first series the guy who finished second was absolutely crap. So regardless of what scores the judges give, they seem to make very little difference to the vote (apart from maybe the first 2-3 weeks) anyway. Ben could have gotten 4 out of 40 tonight and guaranteed he still would have been saved from the dance off.

Advertisement