Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Craig was the only judge with some common sense tonight. They should be taking into account the content of the contestant's dance, not just counting the mistakes.
    It's really not hard for Mark to make a mistake when he barely picks his feet up off the floor! I do really like Mark, but come on judges!!

I wonder if it's Mark v Natalie next week in the dance off and Natalie makes a small mistake will the judges still stick to their 'based purely on the dance off' decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

Ben hardly has tons of content either, throwing around Kristina week in week out is irrelevant to the dancing and he is so flat footed when tries any steps whatsoever.

With both being a similar standard they have to base it on who makes the most mistakes. It's not like there is a gulf in ability between these two. The premise of the dance off has always been about who does the best on that dance on the spot, no the judges haven't always made their decision on that basis which is wrong but they were right this week in my opinion. Ben was awful in the dance off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

bopper wrote: »
    I'm sure the producers are a bit relieved as they seem to be really pushing for a female winner this year, and I can't imagine any of the guys left have the same level of public support that Ben did despite being good dancers.

Well, there are more women than men left in it now... ;)

And more than likely the producers are well aware that only two of the last eight winners have been female (Alesha Dixon and Kara Tointon).

For the record, Natalie is currently 7/4 with Ladbrokes and William Hill, and 13/8 with Paddy Power and Coral.

All four bookies make Susanna the second favourite at around 2/1, while Ashley has the shortest odds of the remaining men, at around 7/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,151 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So who's in for Musicals Week? Can't remember who said they were dancing to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but I can't wait for it :D

WOW!!!

If Patrick doesn't get credit for those swivelly legs, then I'll pickle Len's walnuts :D

Can only go downhill from here.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Aw, I love Sophie. That dance and song were perfect for her.

Ah here :eek:

I've just watched Patrick's charleston back three times.... and it gets better with each viewing. Dance of the night, if not of the series :D

Anya is now my joint favourite pro along with Iveta... might be something to do with their not having been on the show long enough to have developed giant egos?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Patrick WOW WOW WOW

Craig wtf? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Patrick WOW WOW WOW

Craig wtf? :confused:

There was something about that routine that I thought jarred with the music or something.
    Which is a shame because I think he deserved the best score of the night.
    Thought Abby's routine was great too.
    And Sophie back to her best.

Did anyone notice Bruce struggle down from a step early on in the show? And his attemt at fill was cringe. Does anyone actually like him?

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    Did anyone notice Bruce struggle down from a step early on in the show? And his attemt at fill was cringe. Does anyone actually like him?

The folks at TV Cream do... :D:D:);)

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/?page_id=29833
    http://www.tvcream.co.uk/?p=27045
    http://www.tvcream.co.uk/?p=27681
    http://www.tvcream.co.uk/?p=1063

Gotta love what they say about Jim Davidson hosting the Generation Game. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Addle wrote: »

I do. Yes some of his jokes make me cringe but he's a nice man and I have the utmost respect for him to still be presenting at his age, it can't easy by any means. Some of the things said about him I think are awful and completely uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Abbey's dance was great! Loved it! Such energy! :D

I know Abbey was amazing, couldn't take my eyes off that dance.
    I do. Yes some of his jokes make me cringe but he's a nice man and I have the utmost respect for him to still be presenting at his age, it can't easy by any means. Some of the things said about him I think are awful and completely uncalled for.

Nice man? Many diva reports about him.

No way would he get work on a private broadcaster because he doesn't appeal to advertising demographics. There is nothing worse in showbiz when people cling on forever when they clearly aren't fit to perform to the same level as they were.

They need to get rid and get in a cheaper and yonger model, worked on Countdown, Rachel is so much cheaper for Channel 4 then Carol and in my opinion less annoying.

Wasting license fees on Bruce's wage is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Mister R wrote: »
    Nice man? Many diva reports about him.

No way would he get work on a private broadcaster because he doesn't appeal to advertising demographics. There is nothing worse in showbiz when people cling on forever when they clearly aren't fit to perform to the same level as they were.

They need to get rid and get in a cheaper and yonger model, worked on Countdown, Rachel is so much cheaper for Channel 4 then Carol and in my opinion less annoying.

I've never read a single "diva" report about him.

I've never read him say anything nasty about someone, despite many nasty things said about him (such as Louis Walsh claiming he was too old and should be dead). Despite being in the business for as long as he has there's never been any reports of him "overindulging" or taking advantage of his celebrity. Not so long ago it seemed that every man in showbiz from Bruce's era was embroiled in some kind of scandal (Jimmy Saville, Stuart Hall, Rolf Harris, Bill Roache), but not him. So I fail to see any reason to dislike him. I wouldn't rank him as one of my favourite presenters by any means but I certainly don't think he should be fired because of his age.

It is quite amusing though that you think he needs to be ditched for a younger model when you were saying only a few posts back that the world is shallow because some people wanted Ben Cohen to stay over Mark Benton.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Obviously Mark is the weakest person left. It'll be interesting to see who else is in the Dance-off

I'd say it's just fear of accusation of ageism that the beeb don't retire him.
    The presenters don't seem to gel on the Saturday night show.

but I certainly don't think he should be fired because of his age.

I don't either. I'd like to see him go because I don't think he's any good.
    His age is all he has going for him really.
    I'm not a fan of Tess and her dreadful frocks either!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,906 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Missed it last night, just watched it now , OMG!! Love love love Patricks dance, got goose bumps! I love him dancing, that was brilliant.IMO

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Patrick and Abbey's dances were fantastic. Mark was always going to go this week but glad he went out on a good note.

No Bruce next week!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Im glad natalie wasnt top. I agree with len there was hardly any dancing in hold which is what they also did for their Viennese waltz.
    Patrick is just amazing, and I think anya is a great professional. I think he will be the only guy in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Patrick is definitely sneaking up on the rails, isn't he?
    Abbie should not have got 40 for her dance. It was good but not 40 good.
    Still, we're left with a very good standard of dancer heading into the business end of the show.
    It'll be an interesting final few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Next week is the swingathon which I think patrick will do very well with.
    Ive loved patrick from the start
    I dont think abbey deserveed the 40 points, but I really enjoyed sophies dance.

There is nothing worse in showbiz when people cling on forever when they clearly aren't fit to perform to the same level as they were.

Nicholas Parsons is still chairing Radio 4's Just a Minute at 90, and he seems as good as ever.

For the record, Carol's age wasn't a factor at all in her departure from Countdown.

No. Just no. :o

He gets paid £500,000 for this show, does he bring in £500,000 worth of viewers on the basis of his "star power"? No he doesn't there are very few viewers only watching for Bruce, he also doesn't even work the full show while Tess who does everything only earns £250,000.

Last report I saw suggested the pro-dancers only receive £30,000 a season, which of course is good for them but nowhere near the amount the "alleged" star is on.

It would be like hiring Doris Day for a movie nowadays, no film studio would be paying her big bucks because she won't attract cinema goers. Television should work the same way, on-air talent should receive money in accordance with the number of viewers they attract. Particularly when this is tax-payers money, why on earth should the license payer fund Bruce's lifestyle when he can't even read an autocue properly. But since the BBC isn't dependent on ad revenue it doesn't actually need to link the pay cost to the amount of revenue a presenter attracts.

All TV presenters have a window of popularity, Ulrika Jonsson, Davina McCall, Brian Conley, Melanie Sykes, Denise Van Outen, Patrick Kielty etc. all had periods of massive popularity only to eventually become kind of washed up. Thats showbiz. Unless of course you're an old white man at the BBC then you last forever on TV it seems.

Also regarding my shallow comment previously I'm not in favour of any young presenter but I'm in favour of someone who can actually present a TV show properly. A lot of young presenters are terrible too and shouldn't be on TV but they're rarely on such high profile shows.

He gets paid £500,000 for this show, does he bring in £500,000 worth of viewers on the basis of his "star power"? No he doesn't there are very few viewers only watching for Bruce, he also doesn't even work the full show while Tess who does everything only earns £250,000.

Last report I saw suggested the pro-dancers only receive £30,000 a season, which of course is good for them but nowhere near the amount the "alleged" star is on.

It would be like hiring Doris Day for a movie nowadays, no film studio would be paying her big bucks because she won't attract cinema goers. Television should work the same way, on-air talent should receive money in accordance with the number of viewers they attract. Particularly when this is tax-payers money, why on earth should the license payer fund Bruce's lifestyle when he can't even read an autocue properly. But since the BBC isn't dependent on ad revenue it doesn't actually need to link the pay cost to the amount of revenue a presenter attracts.

All TV presenters have a window of popularity, Ulrika Jonsson, Davina McCall, Brian Conley, Melanie Sykes, Denise Van Outen, Patrick Kielty etc. all had periods of massive popularity only to eventually become kind of washed up. Thats showbiz. Unless of course you're an old white man at the BBC then you last forever on TV it seems.

I wouldn't say Davina's washed up at all, TBH.

And without any disrespect intended, did you not read what I said about Nicholas Parsons? :o:)

Well Davina isn't the name she was, not as washed up as the others I listed but during the mid-00s she was on every channel with a show at one point.

Radio is not the same as TV and Radio 4's demographic is more specific (most are 50+) than BBC 1 on Saturday prime time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'm not a fan of Bruce as a presenter, although I used to love him on The Generation Game but I do think the show would be missing something if he left. Tess and Claudia do a great job together when he's not there, but they don't attract the same kind of goodwill that I think Bruce does. Just his presence on the show makes it a Saturday night family show, in the way that something like The Generation Game used to be.

He may not attract the viewers in the sense that people aren't tuning in specifically to see him, but I think that without him, the show would lose a lot of viewers because the atmosphere of it would change.

Well Davina isn't the name she was, not as washed up as the others I listed but during the mid-00s she was on every channel with a show at one point.

She does still appear on every channel - just not as frequently as she did in the early and mid-2000s.

Well, she does have three children to look after now... ;)

And she's still doing Garnier ads, as well.

Again, I wouldn't say that she's washed up at all...

Radio is not the same as TV and Radio 4's demographic is more specific (most are 50+) than BBC 1 on Saturday prime time.

It's still showbiz, though.

Would you complain if Ronnie Corbett - less than three years younger than Brucie - hosted Strictly instead? :);)

vitani wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Bruce as a presenter, although I used to love him on The Generation Game but I do think the show would be missing something if he left. Tess and Claudia do a great job together when he's not there, but they don't attract the same kind of goodwill that I think Bruce does. Just his presence on the show makes it a Saturday night family show, in the way that something like The Generation Game used to be.

He may not attract the viewers in the sense that people aren't tuning in specifically to see him, but I think that without him, the show would lose a lot of viewers because the atmosphere of it would change.

"Jim Davidson f**ked up all the games, had f**king Mr Blobby on every week, f**king gunged the contestants at the end and was just f**king s**t." :D:D:D

Well, when he took over from Bruce on the Generation Game, the show's atmosphere did indeed change considerably, and the viewing figures did indeed go down.

On the other hand, when Larry "Shut that door!" Grayson hosted it in the late '70s and early '80s, the atmosphere wasn't all that much different, and the viewing figures remained high. But then, Larry was a similar age to Bruce and was just as entertaining, unlike JD...

So I have to agree - something would go from Strictly if Bruce left, assuming the BBC replaced him with a much younger man like John Barrowman or decided to have Tess and Claudia hosting every episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

So I have to agree - something would go from Strictly if Bruce left, assuming the BBC replaced him with a much younger man like John Barrowman or decided to have Tess and Claudia hosting every episode.

John Barrowman is very annoying and has gone all American, his accent is ridiculous on his new game show, he will never be the host of Strictly

Advertisement