Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭Heroditas

bopper wrote: »
    In terms of acting credits though, A View to a Kill is all Fiona is known for. At least Colin has been a few other movies and shows that people would have heard of.

Plus it's probably the highest paid gig Fiona has had in a while so I'm sure she'll manage to grin and bear it when they introduce her as a bond girl.

Is she even really known for that? It's not as if her role was even a key one in that film. Smacks of desperation on the part of the BBC. Still, she's not the worst of them and is giving it a good shot.
    Very true about grinning and taking the cash.

Painful watching those two dances in the dance-off. Once was enough last night. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tony was the weakest, so had to go. I'm not a fan of Julien's, I hope he goes next week.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Charleston either, but I really like Sophie and Brendan's dance. I thought it was class. I know 9s was very high for week 2, but the judges will get alot stricter from Week 4 or so onwards. Suzanne and Kevin were very good, as were Ashley & Ola, and Patrick & Anya.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

I always though decimalisation should be brought to the scores so they can spread the leaderboard more and resist giving 9s. So judges could give 8.8, 4.5, 5.2, 9.6 etc. rather than just whole numbers.

Sad to see Aliona go but Tony wasn't great.

Mister R wrote: »
    I always though decimalisation should be brought to the scores so they can spread the leaderboard more and resist giving 9s. So judges could give 8.8, 4.5, 5.2, 9.6 etc. rather than just whole numbers.

Sad to see Aliona go but Tony wasn't great.

But there's nothing wrong with the current system, it's used all around the world for dancing. If two people are tied on the same score, e.g. 36, the person who gets the higher individual scores is put ahead of the other person, i.e. someone who got 10, 9, 9, 8 is ranked ahead of someone who got 9, 9, 9, 9
    That in itself is usually enough to separate people in most competitions.

The problem with Strictly is the inconsistent marking and overly-generous marks thrown out to perceived personal favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Heroditas wrote: »
    But there's nothing wrong with the current system, it's used all around the world for dancing. If two people are tied on the same score, e.g. 36, the person who gets the higher individual scores is put ahead of the other person, i.e. someone who got 10, 9, 9, 8 is ranked ahead of someone who got 9, 9, 9, 9
    That in itself is usually enough to separate people in most competitions.

That's not how it's done on Strictly. If two couples are tied on the same score they get the same points from the judges. So for example, this week Fiona/Anton and Mark/Iveta were joint 9th on the leader board so they both got 7 points from the judges. That's how it's always been.

• Advertisement

Yeah the fact couples tie bothers me :pac: if they did use some kind of tie break system I'd be happy regardless of the format but I personally think the old decimal figure skating system pre-2002 would work with the max being 10 and not 6. Or they could use the tie break system international dancing currently uses.

That's not how it's done on Strictly. If two couples are tied on the same score they get the same points from the judges. So for example, this week Fiona/Anton and Mark/Iveta were joint 9th on the leader board so they both got 7 points from the judges. That's how it's always been.

Ah ok I know what you're on about now, they way they're then given a mark on the leaderboard.
    That only occurs though if the top judge's mark for each couple is equal, e.g. If both couples get, say, 30 and their highest mark each is an 8 they're tied.
    It then goes on the marks based on the telephone vote so it all balances out in the end.

Mister R wrote: »
    Yeah the fact couples tie bothers me :pac: if they did use some kind of tie break system I'd be happy regardless of the format but I personally think the old decimal figure skating system pre-2002 would work with the max being 10 and not 6. Or they could use the tie break system international dancing currently uses.

But there is a tie-break system - the public vote effectively separates couple who are tied on the same number of points.

I personally think there should be another way of breaking the tie so each couple has a different number of points the whole way down the leader-board. Also if two teams get 4 9s they aren't identical, one has to be better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Heroditas wrote: »
    Ah ok I know what you're on about now, they way they're then given a mark on the leaderboard.
    That only occurs though if the top judge's mark for each couple is equal, e.g. If both couples get, say, 30 and their highest mark each is an 8 they're tied.
    It then goes on the marks based on the telephone vote so it all balances out in the end.

No it doesn't, if they get the same overall score they get the same points on the leaderboard regardless of how the marks were distributed. Mark's top score was a 7, Fiona's was a 6, they were still tied. Strictly's been like that from the beginning.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't, if they get the same overall score they get the same points on the leaderboard regardless of how the marks were distributed. Mark's top score was a 7, Fiona's was a 6, they were still tied. Strictly's been like that from the beginning.

Really? I must admit I hadn't noticed, in that case. I had always thought it went on the top mark, as is the usual method in competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

No one watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Dilynnio wrote: »
    No one watching?

Yep...luv the Hairy Biker ! Ho does Craig keep a straight face:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

And yes. Ben Cohens professional dancer...**** me! By special request and with all due respect. Smouldering is what she would be if you wrapped her in a fire blanket-ouch.

Fair play-Strictly does do a rare breed of professional dancers

kristina-rihanoff-strictly-come-dancing-2012-launch_5910231.jpg

banner-e1292961477535.jpg

ben-cohen-low-strictly-come-dancing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I hate upc it didnt record
    I missed an hour, just watching the rest live now
    I think sophie is overmarked

Natalie will take beating. Lots of good dancers this year. Even the bad ones have some good qualities. Hairy Dave is priceless!

darlett wrote: »
    And yes. Ben Cohens professional dancer...**** me! By special request and with all due respect. Smouldering is what she would be if you wrapped her in a fire blanket-ouch.

Fair play-Strictly does do a rare breed of professional dancers

She comes off as tacky mail order bride to me but each to their own. :cool:

Everyone is bunched on the leaderboard this week on 28, wouldn't surprise me if one of them ends up in the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I loved the opening dance with Ola and James getting married and then Brendan bringing on the cake:D loved Sophie and Brendan, Natalie is only going to get better and better she's in the final already I think, as she comes across as totally dedicated to this and I can't see her slipping up and making a mistake even though i'm a corrie fan i'm not a fan of her but she might grow on me. I like Vanessa and always have, she did well tonight. The hairy biker was hilarious and the Dragons Den woman was way better than last week:)

Dragon has improved so much. I missed the hairy biker, wish id seen that.
    I think theres something going onbetween Artem and Natalie, I know he's gota girlfriend but theres definitely something there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Didn't get to see all of it but from what I did see, I loved Susannah (and Kevin is a hottie!), I thought Natalie was wonderful, Ben has really improved and Ashley has a lot of potential. Julien is probably the worst there. Deborah isn't great but I love watching her because she's clearly having the time of her life. My favourites are Sophie and Brendan - she has a natural kind of elegance to her but she's really throwing herself into the dances as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When I watched Natalie tonight I had to ask myself who was the professional dancer. She was magnificent, yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

I just roll my eyes when Natalie and Artem come on. She is a trained dancer for god sake of course she is good.

elleelle19 wrote: »
    I just roll my eyes when Natalie and Artem come on. She is a trained dancer for god sake of course she is good.

That is the down side. It's supposed to be for non dancers. I love Artem. But I think Natalie won't be too popular with the voters. She's a bit too up herself.

That is the down side. It's supposed to be for non dancers. I love Artem. But I think Natalie won't be too popular with the voters. She's a bit too up herself.

My thoughts exactly!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

For sure Natalie is a level above the rest. I think the judges would have given her at least one 10, if it wasn't so early in the series. Natalie was probably the only celeb that I didn't know of before the start of the series. But I feel I still don't know anything about her after 3 weeks!

Dances of the night for me (apart from Natalie & Artem obviously) were Sophie & Brendan, and Ashley & Ola for their sambas. The samba is such a tough dance, and it's so hard to make it look good. Interestingly, the highest ever score awarded for a samba is only 38! There is only one other dance that full marks of 40 has never been given for, and that's a rumba (39).

I also really liked Ben & Kristina's rumba. Ben is a big strong man and hasn't performed too well so far. I thought their routine would be car-crash, but I was really surprised at how good he was!

There's a really big gap evident between the three weakest couples and the rest. Dave & Karen, Vanessa & James, and Julien & Janette are much worse than everyone else. I don't like Vanessa because she complains too much. Although I think that she is the only one that has potential to improve .... I can't see Juilen or Dave ever improving! Dave is great craic though, he really gets stuck in and gives it 100%!

As long as two of Dave & Karen, Vanessa & James, and Julien & Janette end up in the dance-off I'll be happy.

I reckon one of the 28 placers will end up in the dance-off with one of the duds. Having everyone bunched on 28 is dangerous for those without strong fan bases.

The samba is my favourite dance when done properly but as you said no celebs have ever done a perfect samba. Maybe this season one will :D

I hated the love theme, it allowed some people to pimp out their families and children for votes, very ITV type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I only watched it quickly today but I thought Sophie was terribly wooden last night. I really like her and loved her last week but last night was desperate and it thought she was very overmarked. I don't really like Natalie....can't give a good reason other than I think I usually vote for the underdog which absolutely is not. I love the guy from Waterloo road whatever his name is,.. He has great rhythm and the fact that he seems to be enjoying himself makes me enjoy watching him. I just thought meh to most of the others. Surely the hairy biker lad has to go tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

yellow hen wrote: »
    I only watched it quickly today but I thought Sophie was terribly wooden last night. I really like her and loved her last week but last night was desperate and it thought she was very overmarked. I don't really like Natalie....can't give a good reason other than I think I usually vote for the underdog which absolutely is not. I love the guy from Waterloo road whatever his name is,.. He has great rhythm and the fact that he seems to be enjoying himself makes me enjoy watching him. I just thought meh to most of the others. Surely the hairy biker lad has to go tonight?

+1 to all of this!

I was scarily indifferent to most of the dances this time - only watched back just now - but the one thing that occurred to me was the difference in attitude between Deborah and Vanessa - both about the same in terms of age and ability (sorry if I'm being unfair to one or t'other on that front!) - but Vanessa just seems to be going ButButBut the whole time, and moaning, and Deborah is loving it - and it shows!

Anyway, there's a few gimmes to be voted off tonight, and I really hope it is one of them, not someone who can actually dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It surely has to be Vanessa in the dance-off?

If only to put James out of his misery....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Vanessa's hair looks stupid. BBC should sack the stylist.:P

Advertisement