Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a survey on an old house before purchase

Options
  • 01-06-2013 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Whats the normal routine when putting a bid on an old house and getting a survey done ?
    Do I say I'll offer you so much depending on the survey or surely not survey first then offer as this would seem to eager no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Whats the normal routine when putting a bid on an old house and getting a survey done ?
    Do I say I'll offer you so much depending on the survey or surely not survey first then offer as this would seem to eager no?

No point in getting a survey done unless your offer is accepted, otherwise you will be spending a fortune on surveys.

Once accepted you get a survey before signing a contract and you can deal with any issues at that stage pre contract

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You offer x grand, subject to a structural survey,
    if your offer is accepted get a survey.
    IF survey finds a major problem you may wish to reduce the offer by few grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

I would add that you should get a survey done regardless of how old the house is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

If you get a survey and it misses something, is the surveyor liable for the costs to repair it?

I live in an old building and the roof needs to be replaced at a cost of roughly £30k a flat. In Scotland, the seller gets a survey done and all potential buyers get to see it. However, the problems with the roof were not listed on the survey. The person who bought the flat below mine (which I rent) a few months ago had a shock when they found out about this. Would they have any comeback?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you get a survey and it misses something, is the surveyor liable for the costs to repair it?

I live in an old building and the roof needs to be replaced at a cost of roughly £30k a flat. In Scotland, the seller gets a survey done and all potential buyers get to see it. However, the problems with the roof were not listed on the survey. The person who bought the flat below mine (which I rent) a few months ago had a shock when they found out about this. Would they have any comeback?

Will depend on the particular facts of the case; the surveyor may be liable for his/her own negligence in carrying out their duties, and most (as in Scotland) would hold professional indemnity insurance to cover it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement