Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Accounts

Options
  • 01-06-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Just wondering what accounts you guys are learning off?
    So far I've learned

Age of Exploration: Conflicts between European Powers, The Spanish Conquest of Peru (should I learn Mexico too), The Impact of Exploration on Native Populations
    Plantations: Effects on Religion and Customs/Language
    Revolutions: The impact of the American War of Independence on France, Causes of the American War of Independence, and I think I should learn Reasons the 1978 Rebellion in Ireland failed

Which other ones should I learn? Help much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

claryfray wrote: »
    So far I've learned

Age of Exploration: Conflicts between European Powers, The Spanish Conquest of Peru (should I learn Mexico too), The Impact of Exploration on Native Populations
    Revolutions: The impact of the American War of Independence on France, Causes of the American War of Independence, and I think I should learn Reasons the 1978 Rebellion in Ireland failed

You are definitely covered for Question 5 and if you learn off these accounts for Question 6 for Social Change and International Relations along with previous short-answer questions on those 2 topics of course, then I am nearly certain that you will get 60/60 in Q6.

These are ones from Social Change that I predicted from a pattern:

- Write about changes in 2 of the following areas since 1940's
    Transport, Women's Lives, Sport and Leisure (2011, 2009, 2007 and Transport along with Sport and Leisure came up in 2005)

- Write about changes in 2 of the following areas since 1945
    Communications, Education, Housing, Religion (2010)

- Write about the impact on Irish life of the changes in Communications since 1960. (2008) (2003)

- Don't learn off the main changes in the world of work since 1945. It came up last year so it won't come up again and before that it came up in 2006 also.

So far I've learned

Now for International Relations,

-Operation Overlord (Battle of Normandy) - 2010, 2007

-Battle of Britain - 2010, 2007

-Guaranteed Cold War Question (preferably Korean War/Berlin Blockade because in 2011 you couldn't do it on Cuban Missile Crisis).

Oh yeah and don't bother with any long questions about Hitler/Nazi's, Mussolini because the Nazis came up in last year and Mussolini only came up once in the last 5 years and that was 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

Now for International Relations,

-Operation Overlord (Battle of Normandy) - 2010, 2007

-Battle of Britain - 2010, 2007

-Guaranteed Cold War Question (preferably Korean War/Berlin Blockade because in 2011 you couldn't do it on Cuban Missile Crisis).

Oh yeah and don't bother with any long questions about Hitler/Nazi's, Mussolini because the Nazis came up in last year and Mussolini only came up once in the last 5 years and that was 2008.
    Thank's so much! I don't do Social Change but I'll definitely learn off those accounts for International Relations, i was doing a bit of predicting myself and reckoned they would come up too! Our teacher told us to learn Mussolini because she thinks it might come up as it hasn't come up in a while...? I think I'll just know a little bit about him and hope for the best ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kaylee101

Could anyone please post their accounts for The Ulster Plantation- the effects on culture and customs, political control, and religion ;) My revision book(shortcuts to success) isnt very detailed on this

kaylee101 wrote: »
    Could anyone please post their accounts for The Ulster Plantation- the effects on culture and customs, political control, and religion ;) My revision book(shortcuts to success) isnt very detailed on this

(i) The Ulster plantation brought about major changes in religion. The Gaelic Irish people were all Catholic and the thousands of new settlers who arrived were mostly Protestant. The majority of new settlers came from Scotland and they were Presbyterian, while the settlers from England were members of the Anglican Church. When the settlers arrived in Ulster they built Protestant churches in all the new towns and villages that they had created. Most of the land in Ulster came under the control of the new Protestant settlers and this led to the start of religious division and tension. Violence broke out many times between Catholics and Protestants. The Penal laws were later introduced, which discriminated against Catholics and this led to further problems.

(ii) Political control changed as a result of the Ulster Plantation. The old Gaelic Irish families lost control and political control fell into the hands of the new settlers from England and Scotland. The English monarchs looked upon the new settlers in Ulster as being more politically dependable because they were looked upon as being loyal to the crown. As a result, huge political divisions began between the Gaelic Irish and the new Planters who had all the power and control. Catholics were looked upon as being disloyal and were denied any political or economic control. The political divisions which began in 1609 have lasted for centuries with the division of people into Unionists and Nationalists.

(iii) The Ulster plantation brought about changes in language and customs. The Gaelic Irish had their own language and their own distinctive games, music and dances. The Gaelic Irish also had their very own unique system of law called the Brehon Laws. The new settlers who came to Ulster brought with them the English language as well as their own music and pastimes. They also introduced the English law system and new courthouses were built all over Ulster in the new towns. The settlers also brought with them a new type of house building as well as new farming methods, which were all very different from those of the Gaelic Irish.

Also, remember that you only have to learn off 2 of these 3 because they would never ask you to write on 3 of them. Also this Q came up in 2001 and the accounts were the exact same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 kaylee101

(i) The Ulster plantation brought about major changes in religion. The Gaelic Irish people were all Catholic and the thousands of new settlers who arrived were mostly Protestant. The majority of new settlers came from Scotland and they were Presbyterian, while the settlers from England were members of the Anglican Church. When the settlers arrived in Ulster they built Protestant churches in all the new towns and villages that they had created. Most of the land in Ulster came under the control of the new Protestant settlers and this led to the start of religious division and tension. Violence broke out many times between Catholics and Protestants. The Penal laws were later introduced, which discriminated against Catholics and this led to further problems.

(ii) Political control changed as a result of the Ulster Plantation. The old Gaelic Irish families lost control and political control fell into the hands of the new settlers from England and Scotland. The English monarchs looked upon the new settlers in Ulster as being more politically dependable because they were looked upon as being loyal to the crown. As a result, huge political divisions began between the Gaelic Irish and the new Planters who had all the power and control. Catholics were looked upon as being disloyal and were denied any political or economic control. The political divisions which began in 1609 have lasted for centuries with the division of people into Unionists and Nationalists.

(iii) The Ulster plantation brought about changes in language and customs. The Gaelic Irish had their own language and their own distinctive games, music and dances. The Gaelic Irish also had their very own unique system of law called the Brehon Laws. The new settlers who came to Ulster brought with them the English language as well as their own music and pastimes. They also introduced the English law system and new courthouses were built all over Ulster in the new towns. The settlers also brought with them a new type of house building as well as new farming methods, which were all very different from those of the Gaelic Irish.

Also, remember that you only have to learn off 2 of these 3 because they would never ask you to write on 3 of them. Also this Q came up in 2001 and the accounts were the exact same

Thank you!! This has helped me so much! :)

Thank's so much! I don't do Social Change but I'll definitely learn off those accounts for International Relations, i was doing a bit of predicting myself and reckoned they would come up too! Our teacher told us to learn Mussolini because she thinks it might come up as it hasn't come up in a while...? I think I'll just know a little bit about him and hope for the best ha ha

You don't even need to know about him because last year there was a question on him for Q6 (D) they asked:

Explain two of the following terms relating to Mussolini's rule in Italy, 1922-1943

Acerbo Law, Blackshirts, Lateran Treaty, Rome Berlin Axis.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

You don't even need to know about him because last year there was a question on him for Q6 (D) they asked:

Explain two of the following terms relating to Mussolini's rule in Italy, 1922-1943

Acerbo Law, Blackshirts, Lateran Treaty, Rome Berlin Axis.
    Okay thank you sooo much for all the help <3

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Linda98

Just wondering what you think is coming up for Q6 on political developments in twentieth century Ireland and also any ideas for what's coming up in the essay section. These are my predictions:
    A person living in a named civilisation outside of Ireland
    A monk in early Christian Ireland
    A named leader on a voyage during the age of exploration
    Maybe someone to do with the renaissance

Linda98 wrote: »
    Just wondering what you think is coming up for Q6 on political developments in twentieth century Ireland and also any ideas for what's coming up in the essay section. These are my predictions:
    A person living in a named civilisation outside of Ireland
    A monk in early Christian Ireland
    A named leader on a voyage during the age of exploration
    Maybe someone to do with the renaissance

For Q4A I am pretty sure that the Person living get in a named civilisation outside of Ireland, a monk in an early Christian monastery in Ireland or a religious refomer

For Q4B I am almost certain a voyager will come up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Linda98

For Q4A I am pretty sure that the Person living get in a named civilisation outside of Ireland, a monk in an early Christian monastery in Ireland or a religious refomer

For Q4B I am almost certain a voyager will come up
    Thank you :)

Advertisement