Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it cheating when you're stuck in a game....

• 01-06-2013 8:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

.....to go on the internet and Youtube to see how it's done? :o

I'm a huge Arkham City/Asylum fan....game is amazing but jaysus it's frustrating! :mad:
    There have been the odd few times i was really stuck or a Riddle challenge and could think of NO bloody way to solve it! :(

Like....i had NO idea you could use explosive gel on Riddler ? marks! :eek:, i always thought you had to Batarang the feckers! :rolleyes:

I don't like cheating, the whole point of the game is a challenge, to use your brain and solve them, and 95% of the time i do....but you just get stuck on that one........:o

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Of course it's cheating. Look back 15 years ago, you think you could do that? Come on man... stop cheating and grow a pair, use that muscle in your head ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Of course it's cheating. Look back 15 years ago, you think you could do that? Come on man... stop cheating and grow a pair, use that muscle in your head ;)

Back then people photocopied each others walk through out of magazines :p

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Depends on what you're looking for in my opinion, location of collectibles bugs the hell out of me and i look them up online occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

If I'm really stuck as to what to do, I'll do it. No shame in doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Cheating to me is God mode etc. I wouldnt count watching youtube. I was in the same boat with Arkham City. Sometimes you just cant work out how a move is supposed to be executed or you cant survive the nth wave of baddies. Youtube just lets you see how it can be done successfully, but you still have to have the skills to get through it yourself.

Anyway Im too old to care about cheating anymore. I dont have the time or inclination to punish myself with a game. If I can find a shortcut I will usually use it. I still get great value from the games I play and Im happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Almost two decades ago, my dad rang the 1800-£5-per-minute-phone number to find out how to get through the final Zelda dungeon in Link's Awakening (had to shoot a statue with an arrow - simpler times :o). I was a child at the time, but I still feel disgraced when I think back.

Don't do it man - you're better than that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

For for the Arkham games yes, it's cheating.

other games depends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You can cheat but we get to stand out side your house doing this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Varik wrote: »
    For for the Arkham games yes, it's cheating.

other games depends.

Please explain your reasoning.............:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Downloaded both Zelda Oracle games for the 3DS two days ago, I have spent at least 30 minutes on guide sites since then, no shame in needing help, games are meant to be fun not frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Depends on the situation really. If it's a puzzle, and it's making an attempt to be clever rather than convoluted nonsensical garbage, I'll try to figure it out on my own & only look at walkthroughs if I'm stuck to the point that I can't proceed.

If it's just an incredibly complex game (dwarf fortress, feed the beast) you basically can't play them without tutorials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If it's a single player game then you can do whatever the hell you like, "cheating" is obviously a pejorative term but if you decide you want to watch a YouTube video or give yourself infinite ammo or lives or whatever then it's up to you. There is no right or wrong way to play a single player game imo.

Like the first thing I did when I got Skyrim was mod out the carry weight limit. Inventory management is not something I am remotely interested in. I'm sure someone somewhere would say I was cheating but honestly I couldn't give a toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Multiplayer cheating is a no no.

Single Player Cheating would be going on the internet to get a solution to a puzzle in Layton but it's not black or white, it depends on the game and the moment you're stuck in.

When the original Splinter Cell game was released for PC the vanilla the had a bug in it that made completing one level almost impossible. It was doable but only after the gamer accidentally or intentionally avoided a sequence of events that would trigger a bug. Back then, many folk were still using dial-up. Downloading the latest patch wasn't really something you would consider a priority especially if the bug wasn't immediately obvious. In Splinter Cell the bug happened the first time you used the Laser Mic in the campaign so the player really had little way of knowing if they were recording the actual conversation the correct way. It was one of those moments where even though you were doing what felt intuitively right you still weren't sure you were actually doing the correct thing.

Then there are those moments in a game where you've figured out the solution to the problem proposed but it's not working out for you and you can't explain why. The camera angle, shifts, the jumps seems too long, you character should make the jump but for someone reason never does.
    In the better designed games this is less of a problem but it still exists nonetheless. In the Sands of Time there's a section where the game forces you backtrack through a certain obvious path. However, if you choose another route the Prince will inexplicably fall to his death each and every time. It's so bad he'll actually over jump the platform sometimes! It's even worse when you consider the net results of both routes is theoretically the same.

Nowadays games tend to be far too easy so when frustration does hit a player they're less able to handle to it and the internet does provide a ridiculously easy crutch to lean on. In skill games where implementation and dexterity is required this isn't much of an issue. But in games where knowing the solution is the only implementation required it leads to moments where players can get stuck and seek online solutions en masse. For a game like Layton I wouldn't regard this as correct, however Layton offers you multiple puzzle choices at any one time. If the game is more limited and forces to be stuck on particular puzzle in one particular room for eternity then it's ok in my view to seek help. It's just about being balanced. Sort of like life I guess. If you seek help for everything then you're doing it wrong, but if never seek help then chances are you may be doing it wrong too. :) Also, how many little quirks about a game go missed if you don't research the game you're playing?

Some games become more enjoyable when you use 'cheats'. Is there anything more epic than landing a military helicopter on a stormy sea and launch missiles at the tanks on the roads in Vice City? Of course there is! Having an epic shoot out on the military tower and constantly retuning your health is epic craic for me. For others these things might not even raise an eyebrow - but I loved them! Another one would be playing the Endurance level on Rogue Leader with infinite lives. Tie fighter killing heaven! without the frustration of annoying kamikaze ties.

My criteria is fun. If the game isn't fun then you are free to do whatever it is that makes the game fun for you. It's not correct to have game experience ruined for you because you a boss is poor designed. After all you bought it so it be up to you how you decide to enjoy it. If that's destroying the physical copy of it with sledgehammer, then so be it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

It's no different to asking your friend with the same game how they got past it, so I don't think it's cheating. Doing it too much can spoil a game though, it removes the incentive to work at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Some single player games are so straightforward that looking up stuff is being extremely lazy (I will admit to doing this in some of the Lego games simply because it was my kid playing them and finding out the answer fast meant I could get back to whatever it was I was doing!).

Others though, e.g. Anno 2070 or Crusader Kings II. Honestly you'd have to be an extreme masochist not to look at a few youtube videos for them as, quite famously with Paradox games, very little of the crucial base mechanics are actually explained well in-game or in the manual. You could definitely play either without ever looking at a guide or let's play but you're making life hard for yourself and it's not like these are the kinds of games were knowing how the basic mechanics works spoils the games and reduces their longevity. My belief is that both of these games, and games like them, are built with the idea that the community will fill in the information gaps with wikis and guides.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Depends I try not to but if something is on the verge of ruining a game then I would resort to an internet hint.

If the answer is really obvious then I tend to feel silly afterwards, but if it is somehow convoluted or a glitch, then I move along 100% guilt free.

The latest example I can think of was a qte fight in max Payne 3 that was hypersensitive to keystrike timings. I can't say I'd have a much greater sense of satisfaction at the end if I had wasted a few hours on it figuring it out myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'd prefer to cheat to get past a point than cheat myself out of the full game experience

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think it's cheating. Any time I'm stuck in a game and look it up it;s always something really stupid like a badly textured switch that blends in with the background or something else really obvious or badly designed. Back in my megadrive days I was stuck in Shining Force 2 because I couldn't advance the plot. Took me about 2 months to find out that a plank of wood I received in a battle needed to be used on a tree in a town I had been through 5 hours beforehand. I'd take being able to advance the plot over something silly like that killing the game on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I often get phonecalls from mates asking me how to beat this bit or that bit if they're stuck in a game. If I don't know the answer, I'll tell them to check it out on youtube, to which they usually reply "No! That's cheating!".
    How come it's not cheating if I help them, but it if if someone else does?... My guess- they're mental!

My ultimate cheat was in Morrowind.. Had put about 600 hours into the game when I realised I had found the Keening or Sunder blade earlier on (i think it was one of those) and lost it in a storage box that reset.
    Had to open up the dev kit and place it in a box to finish off Dagoth Ur.

Completely justified imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's better to 'cheat' and move on in the game than to get frustrated and stop playing a game you might have forked out €40 for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

No it's not cheating imo , do it myself from time to time when I'm really stuck so that I can move on through the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dunno if I'd say it was cheating. Back in the day before easy internet access I could spend ages trying to figure something out. Whether it was sometimes bad level design like Jedi Knight that had a few levels with really obscure jumps or a tricky dungeon in Zelda I'd get mad, turn the game off but come back and get or eventually.

I guess now I'm older I find YouTube is an easy crutch but moreover I have too many games and a short attention span. I rarely put the time into any single game like I did when I was young and I figure 'cheating' is an acceptable excuse to get through a sticky part of a game quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I never understood the negative connotation with using Cheats. Games are meant to be fun, not frustrating. If i can't get past a certain area, i'll gladly cheat in order to continue playing the game. It's either that or just give up on it, which isn't really fair considering how much these things cost.

There are times when it's not really applicable though. Online stuff is against another person and would give you an unfair advantage, but against the computer is okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

If you're not having fun anymore it's not cheating. I'm playing through Ocarina on the 3DS and there's some stuff I just forgot about that I had to look up. The Ice Cavern was one. I'd gotten the piece of heart in the same area and forgotten that going left led to the place I needed to actually go. Queue 3 hours of wandering around Hyrule aimlessly, shouting at Navi. I just looked it up. Life's too short.

And now the water temple. I hate you, water temple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Cheating is putting in a code to get infinite lives or a level skip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So many examples of hard segments in games are merely examples of bad design. Take some of the more... obtuse point and click puzzles out there. They require stretches of logic so illogical that really it's just wasting your time trying to operate on the same thought pattern. Even recently I can recall looking up a solution to a baffling puzzle and thinking "Really? How the **** was I meant to figure that out?!"

That said, it can sometimes be tricky determining between bad and brilliant when it comes to puzzle design :p When you're sitting there stumped, and suddenly the solution dawns on you, and you realise whoever put it together is an absolute genius - having looked up the solution before that beautiful realisation can feel a little like you've cheated yourself out of that satisfaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Without looking up a walkthrough (I think it was on 'supercheats.com', many moons ago) I would have never have known that Meryl's codec number was on the back of the cd case in MGS1. (Took me over a year to get around to it and when I discovered it I felt so retarded).

We had no internet at home at the time, so I had to get my mom to print it off in work and bring it home :pac:

Same with Alundra. Without a walkthrough to consult that game would have been impossible for me to complete. Even with the walk-through it was still harder than most games today.

So I guess it depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Depending on the game, if a game is meant to be a puzzle-type then that's part of the game, atfer trying everthing fo a few days, putting the game down and stuck for a month, then it's time to bite the bullet & look for a hint on what to do.
    Back when the internet was newish, I played Douglas Adams' Starship titanic, what a great game but got stuck towards the end for over 8 months, maybe more, trying the game for hours of tormenting frustration every now and again, even when I got the web I wouldn't look up what to do, till one day I had to admit I was beat, and had to look it up the solution, which turn out I did try but you try and try over and over till it worked (think it was catching sparrows).

In Tomb raider underworld had to look up on how to defeat the beast-thing at the end, hours of 1min segments being killed over and over again was no fun.

I think it's ok when the alternative is having a twitch in your eye when someone mentions the game.

Sometimes a brief suggestions/hints can be ok, like in Skyrim I didn't follow the story plan, one of the last quests I did was join the stormcloaks of which one of the sub-quests showed you how to solve & open the stone circular puzzle doors using the glaw, I didn't know the solution was on the glaw, or that you could even inspect the item, so I just tried every combination until I got the door open, took 10-20mins each time and thought that was part of the game as tomb-raider often had puzzles like that.

If it adds to the gameplay and enjoyment of the game no it's not cheating,but if it ruins the game then whats the point in playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

No it's not cheating up, down, left, right A + start is cheating.

Advertisement