Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recovering data from harddrive

Options
  • 01-06-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi,
    Had a problem with my computer and gave it in to get looked at-. They said the hard drive was faulty and couldnt get it too boot up and replaced it without talking to me. Im pretty annoyed about that but thats a different conversation. I was able to get it to boot up but they couldnt. Go figure.
    Anyway they gave me the harddrive back but I need to get the files off this harddrive. How can I do this? Can I stick it in as a 3rd harddrive and access the files that way?
    Id appreciate any and all help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Yes, attach it as an external hdd, and download this linux image, Parted Magic:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/partedmagic/files/partedmagic/Parted%20Magic%202013_05_01/pmagic_2013_05_01.iso/download
    burn it to a cd, and then boot your computer from it. It will allow you to access all your drives, and access any files on them.
    Do what the repair guy seemingly could not.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Ok openee up the machine and it only has 2 spaces and powerpoints for harddrives this will be the 3rd harddrive
    So off to maplin in the morning to get a cable. Also found out that my tv card isnt working properly either. Aghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Use the data cables from the dvd,cd drive,temporarily
    KNOCK off power ,remove power cable from esb socket,
    before putting in the drive.
    it should not be necessary to buy more cables , unless you want the drive installed,
    Left in pc, after files are recovered
    dvd uses same cables as the harddrive usually .

Advertisement