Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt Smith to leave Doctor Who

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I liked Matt Smith but he wasn't served by the best stories. I'd like to see Patterson Joseph or Ben Wishaw in the role...

It's not going to be John Hurt. Just the November special for him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Why do people keep bringing up the 12 regenerations limit ? It was mentioned on TV 30 years ago that Time Lords could received a new set of regenerations after the "final one" .

I don't doubt that if the show is still mega-popular, the BBC will strong-arm the writers into dispensing with the regeneration limit (and certainly Who has never been more popular in the USA), but for the time being, and until the main show - a passing joke in SJA doesn't count! - acknowledges this, I'm operating under the assumption 12 is the limit :)

Wrexis wrote: »
    What? 507? That's going to cause some serious problems in 1000 years or so, they need to address that soon.

As above, that line was clearly a joke by the Doctor / RTD, I wouldn't pay much heed to it. In fact, in my paranoid mind it was a joke by RTD to drop Moffat into continuity hot water in the future :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

Now that Matt Smith is leaving what If John Hurt is the Doctor then the 12 regenerations may have happened already with Matt being the 12th and final in that line of regenerations!

The 50th anniversary Doctor Who special is maybe the way to kill two birds with one stone.

Getting a new Doctor in place and also getting rid of the 12 regenerations by rebooting the whole series and having a fresh slate for the next season.

The return of Gallifrey and the Timelords and getting rid of the unseen Time War could open up a whole lot of new story lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

OU812 wrote: »
    My friend's cousin is a runner on the show, he was saying this morning because of the growing US market, that they're thinking of going with an upcoming US actor to take the role. Some soap star called Jonathon Jackson is one of the names being bandied about. Wouldn't mind seeing Robert Sheehan in the role if they were internationally casting.

I'm not at all sure how I feel about an American actor. I know there's no reason why not exactly, and I can't quite put my finger on what's bugging me about it either, but something simply doesn't sit right with me on that one. Also, I'd really like to see a male companion at some point. Nothing wrong with Clara of course or any of the others either, would just be nice.

Now that Matt Smith is leaving what If John Hurt is the Doctor then the 12 regenerations may have happened already with Matt being the 12th and final in that line of regenerations!

The 50th anniversary Doctor Who special is maybe the way to kill two birds with one stone.

Getting a new Doctor in place and also getting rid of the 12 regenerations by rebooting the whole series and having a fresh slate for the next season.

The return of Gallifrey and the Timelords and getting rid of the unseen Time War could open up a whole lot of new story lines.

This is a good point. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this comes to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It will be quite nice to have a new doctor/established companion dynamic again though, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

No! I was hoping for another season at least.

To paraphrase Doc 10 'I don't want him to go'.

Seriously I liked Tennant but I wasn't this disappointed when his departure was announced.

Mind you 11's 'death' seems to have been hinted at in someway or another every season bar his first...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I was sure I had heard Matt Smith had confirmed at least one more season. I am so glad that was misinformation because I really feel it's time for him to go. I'm not as into the show as I once was and while a lot of that is due to Moffat's writing I also everything can could be done with eleven has been done. He's verging on stale as it is, staying another season would kill it I think.

I do wish Moffat were leaving but I think he will be here for a long long time.

I don't know who I would like for the next Doctor. I have mixed feelings about the idea of a female Doctor (not saying it will happen but as already said it's gonna be mentioned) but if it does happen it would have to be because they found an actress who can really bring something different to the role and not just for the sake of it. I do really like the idea of Amanda Tapping in the role but I've been watching a load of Stargate recently so that could be an awful idea for all I know. The idea of Clara being taken unawares by a regeneration only for The Doctor to become a woman would be fun to watch though.

I'd like to see someone older in the role now. I'm talking 'pensioner' old, a William Hartnell type. That'd be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Only hearing this news now...

... am gutted! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The fall of the 11th apparantly will happen at trenzalore. Moffat thinks ahead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah by Zodin's sword :( Easily my favourite Doctor of the re-launched series and one of my favourite out of all the Doctor's, I've greatly enjoyed his mix of energy, amazing comic timing, and yet the same time to put gravitas into the role (particularly in the later seasons).

Yes Season 33 wasn't the best but really need to separate out the Doctor from the scripts. Smith could still do loads more years with fresh scripts. Tom Baker kept going for years and it helped they mixed up some of the styles of stories during his run.

What I'd love to see, if this must happen, is an older Doctor. One without the tiring love interest angle as well as throwing in a male companion (I think there's never been just a male companion) or maybe a male/female combo without any love angle (Harry / Sarah , Tegan /Turlough etc). Some of those being suggested in the paper are terrible ideas. Some are just being too PC and others I wouldn't want (no thank you Russell Tovey, you're just not that good). Idris Elba though, as one suggestion, does interest me.

Still though - Boo! Whoever is next is going to have a difficult time topping Smith's performance for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ixoy wrote: »
    Still though - Boo! Whoever is next is going to have a difficult time topping Smith's performance for me.
    True.. but I said the same thing about Tennant... and was left very un-easy after that atrocious regeneration, but he delivered in spades.

While I've been disappointed by the latest season, Smith always puts in 110%.

Big shoes to fill though alright

Count me in as someone who wants an older Doctor with a male companion.

ixoy wrote: »
    What I'd love to see, if this must happen, is an older Doctor. One without the tiring love interest angle as well as throwing in a male companion (I think there's never been just a male companion) or maybe a male/female combo without any love angle (Harry / Sarah , Tegan /Turlough etc)...

yeah, you took the words right out of my mouth. I feel it's time for another William Hartnell, and yes, lets please dispense with the constant flirting with young female companions. A male companion to an older doctor is what I'd like to see right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

Well, however he goes, I just hope as he regenerates we get one final triumphant blast of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx6YVAUY620

Best theme ever...

After Tennant's never ending regeneration I hope this one is a lot subtler and understated.

Alas, he's now changing bedpans in Casualty (although it's filmed in Cardiff too :P), I really would of liked to have seen Clyde from the Sarah Jane Adventures get a spin in the TARDIS. I think he would of made a pretty good companion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

OU812 wrote: »
    My friend's cousin is a runner on the show, he was saying this morning because of the growing US market, that they're thinking of going with an upcoming US actor to take the role. Some soap star called Jonathon Jackson is one of the names being bandied about. Wouldn't mind seeing Robert Sheehan in the role if they were internationally casting.

Lol, where to begin with that! I call shenanigans on your friend's cousin; aside from my skepticism that a runner would be privy to something akin to a State Secret in the BBC, there's no way they're that daft to make a quintessentially British Sci-Fi icon an American. They didn't even do it for the infamous Paul McGann TV movie.

Hell, even when other British icons are transplanted to the US - see 'Elementary', the recent Sherlock Holmes series - the nationality persists. And they certainly wouldn't look to American soap-operas for inspiration: my god have you ever watched them? You don't realise how lucky we are with our own until you watch American soaps...

As for who it could be, I would suggest there's nothing wrong with a young Doctor, that instead perhaps they tag him up with an older companion; maybe include 2 companions & a younger person for balance, but a member of the crew who are themselves older would make for a nice dynamic. See the Big Finish dramas and their pairing of the 6th Doctor with a university professor in her 60s; made for great dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Totally gutted. I was sure he was back for (at least) one more season :(

I am unsure as to how to break this news to my 6 year old daughter. She's gonna be in tears for sure. She has grown up with Matt Smith (well she is only 6). Her love for Doctor Who started with Amy Pond and she is now a huge fan. Watches about two random episodes a day. I read her Doctor Who books at night. I hope at least Coleman stays on.

Matt Smith has been fantastic. Yes, some episodes have been a little lacking but I find repeated viewing has helped every episode. I was so excited for Season 7 part II (Christmas 2012 onwards) and never felt that Coleman & Smith really totally hit it off. Although there were times i think that was just down to the story/script.

Man, this has really ruined my day. Chin up though. Hopefully #12 can (like most of the Doctors) make us not forget the previous, but love the new and forever fondly remember their predecessor.

*Was holding out buying the blu-rays but gonna pick up Season 7(pt II) asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Count me in as someone who wants an older Doctor with a male companion.
    How about an older male companion.
    BRING BACK WILF!!!! :p
    I'm with Killer_banana with this one, yes Matt has been a fantastic Doctor and was what the show needed back in 2010, even though we didn't realise it ourselves. I see the situation now, akin to that of Jon Pertwee's final season. Aside from the first season with Caroline John as Liz Shaw, The Third Doctor's default companion was Jo Grant played by Katy Manning and then when Elisabeth Sladen came along as Sarah Jane Smith, while the pairing worked well, it really took off when he regenerated into Tom Baker to become one of the most loved Doctor/Companion pairings of all time. Likewise here, Matt was fantastic (absolutely fantastic, and you know what....sorry drifting) with his story with the Ponds, but for me the story of the 11th ended there. This Clara arc and Name of the Doctor is now just laying the tracks for the 50th and the run of the 12th Doctor.

With regards to whether or not Steven Moffat should be in charge of this change I remain hopeful for a surprise. I'll be honest here and thought back in 2009 that Murray Gold shouldn't be kept on for the music score. I was wrong, it's almost unimaginable to think of the 11th Doctor saving the day without that iconic 'I Am The Doctor" running through your head.

I've loved Matt Smith's run and I think nicking it in the bud now will only help preserve my love for this series.
    Geronimo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

flazio wrote: »
    I've loved Matt Smith's run and I think nicking it in the bud now will only help preserve my love for this series.
    Geronimo.

A Doctor change could be great yeah. Could take the Coleman/Doctor to a new level. But I guess it's also a massive gamble. Not that they had a choice. If he wants to go then he wants to go. He's been great...better than great imo.

So much pressure now to pick the right Doctor. I hope they get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

BuffyBot wrote: »
    ..and at least it's not going to be dragged out for ages like 10. No sentimental claptrap, please.

I think that's a given; Smith's Doctor has been known to poke the odd bit of cheeky fun at some of the tropes that lined RTD/DT's era on Who.

Key examples being him dismissing the Time War as 'just a bad day'. Also, during the wedding to River, him openly scoffing at a universe crying out to help him. Then there's the 'Cyber-King marching through the middle of London; how could I be so stupid?' bit during the 'cracks in time' arc.

I imagine this all point to 11 going out in a more traditional manner; a brave man doing a brave thing, and not mourning the loss of himself.

I still feel like I'm getting to know 11, really. Though, technically, he'll have been one of the longer serving Doctors; considering he was 1200 by the time he went to the beach to meet his wife. Yes, I'm rambling, I'm in unjustifiable bits over this.

brianon wrote: »
    Totally gutted. I was sure he was back for (at least) one more season :(

I am unsure as to how to break this news to my 6 year old daughter. She's gonna be in tears for sure. She has grown up with Matt Smith (well she is only 6). Her love for Doctor Who started with Amy Pond and she is now a huge fan. Watches about two random episodes a day. I read her Doctor Who books at night. I hope at least Coleman stays on.

Matt Smith has been fantastic. Yes, some episodes have been a little lacking but I find repeated viewing has helped every episode. I was so excited for Season 7 part II (Christmas 2012 onwards) and never felt that Coleman & Smith really totally hit it off. Although there were times i think that was just down to the story/script.

Man, this has really ruined my day. Chin up though. Hopefully #12 can (like most of the Doctors) make us not forget the previous, but love the new and forever fondly remember their predecessor.

*Was holding out buying the blu-rays but gonna pick up Season 7(pt II) asap.

Coleman hasn't said she's leaving. They often keep the companion when changing to doctor in the modern series. ( well 11 started with Amy but 10 was nursed by Rose)

I suppose if she accepts the new doctor the idea is , we will.

Well,it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise to her as she has seen all 11 of him up until then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Coutinho 10

I'd kinda like to see Stephen Fry as The Doctor. I'm not sure if it would work but I would like to see his take on The Doctor. There would also be no worries about flirting with his young female companions :) The males companions on the other hand.

As someone who came to Dr Who as an adult and with Eccelestone. I think

Eccelestone was brilliant. And dark.
    Tennant was better, although cliched towards the end.

Smith was The Doctor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

brianon wrote: »
    Chin up though.
    Hmm maybe not such a good choice of words there for Matt. :D

I think I mentioned the suspish he wouldn't be around for long. That said he defo grew into the role for me and I really didn't like him at the start. Personally I've have a different top three countdown to DH, I'd have Eccelestone followed by Tennant, with Smith coming behind, but a lot closer behind Tennant than I first imagined.

IMHO I reckon Matt is doing the right thing leaving now, both for his career(most importantly) and the show. For me Eccelestone left too soon(and apparently under a cloud), Tennant stayed just that little bit too long, but Smith has timed it just right or near enough to damn it*. Clara staying on should bridge the gap nicely. Worked for Rose and the 9Th to 10th. Again for me 10th to 11th was a bit of a clear the decks/bah humbug jolt for me. I would have preferred if Amy had met 10 then dealt with 11 coming along(maybe met 10 as a child, he asks her to wait and comes back as 11. Cue WTF on Amy's behalf :)).

*fans/audiences can be fickle things. Though the general audience dug her, I think fans would have had far more time in their collective memories of Rose if she had been left on that beach for good. Tennants departure should have been sad and a celebration of his tenure, but instead the awful dragging out of the whole thing soured it for many, if not most. Fair play to Tennant that even that didn't destroy the goodwill towards him in the role. Matt will avoid all that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

misslt wrote: »
    I wonder will it be john hurt...

I hoped it would be after the season finale but fans seem skeptical.

Moffat said that the search is ongoing and the person to play the Doctor doesn't know it yet. I suppose they could have not asked Hurt to do the role permanently but do you think the BBC could afford him on top of all the flashy special effects?

• Advertisement

silentrust wrote: »
    I hoped it would be after the season finale but fans seem skeptical.

Moffat said that the search is ongoing and the person to play the Doctor doesn't know it yet. I suppose they could have not asked Hurt to do the role permanently but do you think the BBC could afford him on top of all the flashy special effects?

He wouldn't be more expensive than anyone else?

Advertisement