Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Doctor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

I know we'll never see my top two picks (Richard E. Grant and Sean Pertwee) - but I'm scratching my head at some of the suggestions on this thread and thinking "who?", not "Who!"

(Also, can Richard Ayoade actually do anything other than nerd? Loved him in the IT Crowd, but can't see him as, well, anything other than Moss - even in his standup routines.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Donal Gleeson?

Yeah, I know I'm just naming hot gingers now and he's in the new Richard Curtis film so is bound to be hot property in no time.
    Not a bad suggestion. Could see that happening. Though if anything I'd think being about to break in a Richard Curtis film would make him less likely to go for / be approached about the role.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Idris Elba would be fantastic, and afaik he has gone in about wanting to be the Dr. Although that alone would probably rule him out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Idris Elba would be a very good choice if possible - he'll have the intensity required for the Doctor and he's got a lot of charisma as well. He's headlining a show in 'Luther' but the 'Doctor Who' franchise is a bigger step up, with wider fame so it wouldn't be a step down as some of the other names mentioned here would be (Nicholas Hoult? He'd get more for one film than probably two seasons of the show).

He'd also bring an older sensibility to the show, more serious but he's still perfectly capable of running around.

Doubt though we'll get him. It's going to be someone younger because they're pitching it towards a family audience and kids won't like an older man there after the relatively youthful casting they've done.
    I'd look towards some of the UK shows maybe like 'Misfits' or 'Being Human'.

What about Damien Molony (Hal in 'Being Human') for example? He's proven his acting chops in the show and, from a glance at IMDB, he's not currently tied up in anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ixoy wrote: »
    What about Damien Molony (Hal in 'Being Human') for example? He's proven his acting chops in the show and, from a glance at IMDB, he's not currently tied up in anything.
    Yeah, he's been mentioned on a few sites.

A very good choice also.. plus he's interested (judging by a Q&A earlier this year with fans)..
    Jess: 
Hiya Damien! Firstly I think you’re amazing and adore watching you as Hal in Being Human! 

My question: If asked, would you ever consider playing The Doctor (Doctor Who) or starring as a future companion?
    Damien Molony: Thanks Jess, that’s very kind of you. The Doctor is one of the most iconic parts for an actor to play, up there with Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, it is such an epic series. Following in the footsteps of so many great actors, it would be an honour to play The Doctor… wow, goosebumps! What about a Being Human/Doctor Who spin-off?
    Source

• Advertisement

The thing that annoys me, is I'm gonna find out who the new doctor is before watching the regen take place.

If they can keep the anniversary storyline so secret, why can't they keep the changing of the doctor secret?

Actually.. looking over at my Blu-ray's.. what about James Callis (Baltar in BSG)?

Not a bad shout I think..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ben Wishaw or Patterson Joseph would be suitable choices, in my book

old hippy wrote: »
    Wasn't Paterson Joseph heavily rumoured for the Eleventh Doctor?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basq wrote: »
    Wasn't Paterson Joseph heavily rumoured for the Eleventh Doctor?

Yup, I think he was rumoured to be #10 as well, though that might have been fandom's wishful thinking. I think he has a decent range, with an easy charm about him & a cocky air that might give the Doctor a different tone to #11 bumbling nature.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Idris Elba would be a very good choice if possible - he'll have the intensity required for the Doctor and he's got a lot of charisma as well. He's headlining a show in 'Luther' but the 'Doctor Who' franchise is a bigger step up, with wider fame so it wouldn't be a step down as some of the other names mentioned here would be (Nicholas Hoult? He'd get more for one film than probably two seasons of the show).

Idris Elba would be a big coup and possibly far beyond the grasp of Who, even more than Cumberbatch perhaps. Elba is an established TV actor on both sides of the Atlantic, and he's cropping up in far more films these days (look out for him in Pacific Rim for instance). I can't remember where I read it, but I think he's also permanently based in the US now, only coming back to Europe for things like 'Luther' (on which he's a producer anyway)

Not sure how he'd work as the Doctor though - I can't see him bringing any kind of levity to the role; there has to be some amount of playfulness in the Doctor's personality, even if it's masked by that alien detachment he sometimes possesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ben Whishaw is a very good choice imo

But would love to see one of the Irish actors Jonathan Rhys Meyers or Cillian Murphy get a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Cillian Murphy.....

Nah, to be honest, don't think we'll have seen the actor in much beforehand

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Wil Wheaton is claiming he knows who's been cast for the past 3 weeks.

Dubious cat is dubious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Wil Wheaton is claiming he knows who's been cast for the past 3 weeks.

Dubious cat is dubious.

Is it Will Wheaton?! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭T-Bird

BRIAN BLESSED!!!

Dougray Scott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Stephen Fry

Stephen Mangan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Games of Thrones mega Spoiler here!!
    I see that
    Richard Madden (Robb Stark)
    is free now
    or
    David Morrissey already played The Doctor, of sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

Dougray Scott

No. No and triple no.

He is a terrible actor.

Sorry, but no.

• Advertisement

nemesisdg wrote: »
    No. No and triple no.

He is a terrible actor.

Sorry, but no.

He impressed me in the ghost story - I'm not really familiar with his body of work, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Bryan Cranston as The Doctor.

Just imagine it - The Doctor, realising this is his last incarnation, decides to make his companion comfortably rich when he dies by setting up a meth lab in the TARDIS!

Games of Thrones mega Spoiler here!!
    I see that
    Richard Madden (Robb Stark)
    is free now
    or
    David Morrissey already played The Doctor, of sorts

Isn't
    Richard Madden
    dating Jenna-Louise Coleman?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A lot of money going on Ben Daniels.

He was the photographer guy in House of Cards for anyone who's seen it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A lot of money going on Ben Daniels.

He was the photographer guy in House of Cards for anyone who's seen it.

Had to google his name and the first 3/4 results were along the lines of "Daniels in lead to take over Dr. Who" :D Man the internet works fast these days!

Although those same articles mention Chiwetel Ejiofor as one of the other rumoured runners; I never thought of him, but he'd be pretty damn good in the role. Very much a leading man with bags of charm, and has precedent working in genre TV :) Wouldn't say no to that choice!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bit of an odd one maybe, but I've often thought that Rufus Sewell might make a good doctor.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Too intense

Ben Daniels is 48, is he not too old :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Me, hopefully.

A guy can dream, and I do have a ginger beard, so it'd be a start for The Doctor who has always wanted to be a ginger.

• Advertisement

Tom Hiddleston would be good, he is too big now in his career

Advertisement