Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Doctor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Too late. I am a natural ginge and have put my name forward already

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sean "Rifleman" Bean. Given the amount of times his character's pass away, he would at least have prior practice regenerating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Neil Gaiman weighs in on the subject of who should be the next Doc, and I see his point:

http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/52244065702/what-would-you-say-to-sir-ian-mckellen-taking-the
    I actually like it when The Doctor is a relatively unknown actor, or one without one huge role that made them famous. A star, like Sir Ian, brings all the other roles they’ve ever played to the table when they act. Seeing John Hurt as the (Spoiler) at the end of the Name of the Doctor, meant that this was a certain type of part with a certain amount of gravitas, and you understood that John Hurt was bringing everything with it (including being John Hurt), just as Derek Jacobi did as the Master.

[...]

I want to see The Doctor. I want to be taken by surprise. I want to squint at a photo of the person online and go “but how can that be The Doctor?”. Then I want to be amazingly, delightedly, completely proven wrong, and, six episodes in, I want to wonder how I could have been so blind. Because this is the Doctor. Of course it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

I've heard a few rumours from people in the know - so they say - that an Irishman has been cast in the part. It's probably utter crap, but the name I've heard is Domhnall (son of Brendon) Gleeson. He certainly looks the part.

240px-Domhnall_Gleeson_%28Berlin_Film_Festival_2011%29.jpg

As for his accent... Well, every planet has a Dublin. ;)

(We'll find out tomorrow... allegedly)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Grian1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RossyG wrote: »

Plus Gallifrey has been referred to more than once as "somewhere in Ireland", so you never know. And he's ginger. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

Grian1 wrote: »
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo id never watch doctor who again ever :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

I've heard a few rumours from people in the know - so they say - that an Irishman has been cast in the part. It's probably utter crap, but the name I've heard is Domhnall (son of Brendon) Gleeson. He certainly looks the part.

he looks like my fiancee lol i can imagine me son going in to school my stepdad looks like the doctor (he has autism and a big who fan the son that is )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

If this is true I want to be bought a beer as first boards tipper! :pac:

I would love him in the role.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

An excellent choice, I liked him as Geldof and he was good in that Charlie Brooker drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭bren2001

Not being announced today.

Taken from Ed Stradlings twitter
    "Steven Moffat says this morning "I haven't a clue who it is, we've barely started." So no #doctorwho announcement this evening I fear!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus Gallifrey has been referred to more than once as "somewhere in Ireland", so you never know. And he's ginger. :D
    Wait, so everyone here in Galway (Gaillimh) is a Time Lord? Sweet :D
    Problem is, because Domhall Gleeson's name is now getting popular, that now pretty much rules him out.
    I'm going to make a prediction. There's going to be a Doctor Who at the Proms performance on Saturday July 13th, it'll be live on BBC Radio 3.
    I'm predicting now that they will announce the 12th Doctor at this Prom

Huffington Post reporting that Rory Kinnear has been formally offered the part.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/09/doctor-who-rory-kinnear-matt-smith-replacement_n_3410731.html

Dunno about that. He doesn't really do *excited* or *interested* well.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Burgundy !

Rory Kinnear is rumored to be the next doctor. I personally think any of these could fit the part of the doctor quite well, although some of them probally won't play the role as they are too big in the acting world and its fairly certain we'll end up with an unknown doctor
    1 Benedict Cumberbatch
    2 Ben Whishaw
    3 Andrew Scott
    4 Aidan Turner
    5 Andrew Garfield
    6 Martin Freeman
    7 James McAvoy
    8 Gary Oldman
    9 Richard Armitage
    10 Tom Hiddleston
    however there are odds on some of these possibly becoming the doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

boooo

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Huffington Post reporting that Rory Kinnear has been formally offered the part.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/09/doctor-who-rory-kinnear-matt-smith-replacement_n_3410731.html

Dunno about that. He doesn't really do *excited* or *interested* well.

I'm just imagining the Tumblr gifs that will be made out of his appearance in Black Mirror. :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Black_Mirror_episodes#Series_1

I really hope they pull themselves together next series, Steven Moffat's writing is terrible compared to Russel T Davies which is surprising considering he can write well, take Sherlock for example he writes that brilliantly, but doctor who is nowhere near as good. Either he has to go or we can hope the new doctor will bring about some change next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

yeah, the silence and weeping angels aren't nearly as terrifying as the farting slime balls

yeah, the silence and weeping angels aren't nearly as terrifying as the farting slime balls

Farting slime balls ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Excuse me, I meant to say Slitheen. You can't honestly say that writing those monstrosities into the series was better than Steven Moffat's work. Probably the only episode I'd be embarrassed to watch in the company of people unfamiliar with the show. Awful awful awful. I reckon Moffat's doing an alright job to be honest. Russell T. Davies time as showrunner had a much more juvenile feel to it overall (in my opinion).
    Has nothing to do with the next Doctor of course, but it really grinds my gears to see Moffat getting slated so much online, when in fairness to him, he's done great things for the show. But thats another discussion.
    /off to lurk again

Don't get me wrong he can write brilliantly and some of my favorite episodes had his input, but i found Davies' episodes brilliant, he really understood the audience and he made the doctor the perfect balance of quirky, funny, and serious (Matt smiths just a bit too jokey for me and he seemed too different to his predecessors). I also loved the companions cast during RTD's time from Rose to Wilf (amy and rory got a bit annoying, however saying that i like clara). But My main problem with Moffat is how he ends his episodes it just seems a bit lazy, like in nightmare in silver
    we see the doctor in an inescapable situation only to have it resolved in a minute with him teleporting away as the planet explodes
    that and his overuse of the whole love triumphs all rubbish
    like in the episode hide which had started off quite well
    . That and his story arcs which start off as interesting slowly turn boring, anyway rant over I just hope with the new doctor we will see an improvement in the show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Funny, I look at what you mention as Moffat's flaws and I'd see RTD as being far far more guilty of them myself!

Anyway, if Brand did get the position (not a chance thankfully) I might actually have to stop watching. Okay so Catherine Tate was a pleasant surprise but Brand just.. no. No.

ixoy wrote: »
    Funny, I look at what you mention as Moffat's flaws and I'd see RTD as being far far more guilty of them myself!

Anyway, if Brand did get the position (not a chance thankfully) I might actually have to stop watching. Okay so Catherine Tate was a pleasant surprise but Brand just.. no. No.

Russel brand? I agree he's awful and not the best person to have as a role model (as the doctor is to many young boys). And on the subject of who we don't want to be the next doctor, i hope the next doctor isn't a female. Not to be sexist but i cant see a female fitting the role as it would change the dynamic of show too much and alienate a lot of the fans (me included) who'd find it too weird to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Don't get me wrong he can write brilliantly and some of my favorite episodes had his input, but i found Davies' episodes brilliant, he really understood the audience and he made the doctor the perfect balance of quirky, funny, and serious (Matt smiths just a bit too jokey for me and he seemed too different to his predecessors). I also loved the companions cast during RTD's time from Rose to Wilf (amy and rory got a bit annoying, however saying that i like clara). But My main problem with Moffat is how he ends his episodes it just seems a bit lazy, like in nightmare in silver
    we see the doctor in an inescapable situation only to have it resolved in a minute with him teleporting away as the planet explodes
    that and his overuse of the whole love triumphs all rubbish
    like in the episode hide which had started off quite well
    . That and his story arcs which start off as interesting slowly turn boring, anyway rant over I just hope with the new doctor we will see an improvement in the show.

If you're gonna cite a story that substantiates your ending claim, I suggest choosing one that was written by Moffat himself. Also, if his EP status comes in focus and its impact on other writers' stories, I imagine Gaiman (writer of NiS) enjoyed an unedited status similar to Moffat during RTD's reign.

Though, on your other point, 'Hide' isn't Moffat's either, but yeah, it'd be valid in as much as he's EP, but I'd disagree with the argument itself.

On the subject of writers: I wonder why Cornell never came back to write another episode.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    If you're gonna cite a story that substantiates your ending claim, I suggest choosing one that was written by Moffat himself. Also, if his EP status comes in focus and its impact on other writers' stories, I imagine Gaiman (writer of NiS) enjoyed an unedited status similar to Moffat during RTD's reign.

Though, on your other point, 'Hide' isn't Moffat's either, but yeah, it'd be valid in as much as he's EP, but I'd disagree with the argument itself.

On the subject of writers: I wonder why Cornell never came back to write another episode.

i'm not necessarily saying only episodes written by him are bad, but bad episodes seem to be more frequent under his reign. As i said he can write well i love Sherlock, silence in the library, forest of the dead, the empty child, the doctor dances, the lodger, and the earlier weeping angel episodes but since his takeover the show has been steadily going downhill but i'll give him this that cliffhanger at the end of the name of the doctor got me excited about doctor who for the first time in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

New Doctor revealed...

addison.jpeg

Not really. It's a gag from tomorrow's Mock the Week. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

31189.jpg

Well all ye Domhnall Gleeson fans probably shouldn't get your hopes up, he has laughed off the suggestion he's in the running:

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2013/0612/456167-domhnall-gleeson-laughs-off-doctor-who-link/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 kalmanon2

Well Sean Bean could be a good choice - one does not simply walk into the tardis after all....

Advertisement