Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Doctor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Thrilled with the choice.

Have loved Capaldi since he was Sid's dad in Skins! Fantastic appearance in Torchwood also.

It's actually only with the dawn of a new doctor I've actually realised that I majorly dislike Matt Smith's doctor. Really, really glad to see the back of him to be honest.

Capaldi is v versatile and has the capability of TRULY communicating the Doctor's light and dark sides.
    Definitely am not assuming he's going to be a harsher doctor but I think he'll just instinctively bring more gravitas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

campo wrote: »
    But just say if Captain Jack makes another appearance on Who would they even bother to try explaining away that Jack has already met someone who is identical to the Doctor...

Or will this be ignored

Ignored, probably. Karen Gillan was in Fires of Pompeii as well. Never mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I wonder if 10 and 12 will briefly interact at the end of the special? Scottish accents overload!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I wonder if 10 and 12 will briefly interact at the end of the special? Scottish accents overload!

12's not arriving til Christmas though. :)

I'm delighted with the casting. He's really a wonderful actor. I hope he keeps the accent, and I'm glad there was no costume reveal last night. I think he'll mesh very well with Coleman tbh.

I'm still a huge fan of Matt's Doctor, I love how he plays the role, and I am sorry to see him go. But change is good and this is exciting casting in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

campo wrote: »
    But just say if Captain Jack makes another appearance on Who would they even bother to try explaining away that Jack has already met someone who is identical to the Doctor...

Or will this be ignored

Im a bit fed up of hearing about he was in Doctor who before he can't be in it again Colin Baker appeared as Commander Maxil in Arc of Infinity and that worked out fine.

Hopefully we won't see Captain Jack again a dreadful character

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »

:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Das Kitty wrote: »
    12's not arriving til Christmas though. :)

I'm delighted with the casting. He's really a wonderful actor. I hope he keeps the accent, and I'm glad there was no costume reveal last night. I think he'll mesh very well with Coleman tbh.

I'm still a huge fan of Matt's Doctor, I love how he plays the role, and I am sorry to see him go. But change is good and this is exciting casting in my eyes.

As with Matt though, we know who the Doctor is before his regeneration is shot.

They could do something really cool with him randomly turning up before his time. They won't, as it'll be the big selling point of the Christmas special, but it'd be cool if they did!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Im a bit fed up of hearing about he was in Doctor who before he can't be in it again Colin Baker appeared as Commander Maxil in Arc of Infinity and that worked out fine.

And Eve Myles played Gwynneth in The Unquiet Dead before playing Gwen in Torchwood.

And don't forget Lala Ward, who played Lady Astra in The Armageddon Factor before her role as Romana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

I think it's an interesting choice, and one that has me looking forward to seeing how he works out, and how the Doctor will 'change' now. It's easy to think he'll be more serious and less playful, he will be the second oldest Doctor (well, the oldest Doctor, but the second oldest actor!). But you never know what he'll bring to the role.

I was getting a little jaded with Matt's Doctor, not Matt himself, but I did feel it was time for a change. A slightly more subdued set of stories could be quite interesting, we'll see what we get!

J.

jasonb wrote: »
    I was getting a little jaded with Matt's Doctor, not Matt himself, but I did feel it was time for a change. A slightly more subdued set of stories could be quite interesting, we'll see what we get!

I feel the same. Matt Smith marched right into the very top tier of Doctors for me, but I think he's had a pretty complete run now. I'm happy for the reins to be handed over.

Something I've always regretted is C Baker, McCoy and McGann not getting a chance to really let themselves shine. There's moments with all of them when they looked to be as good as my favourites were. For various reasons, in the mainstream Who media, they never got their chance though.

This isn't true of Smith, I think for a long time he will be "My" Doctor, despite being my 6th or so, and I've loved the run. I don't want him to start repeating himself though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Just watching some Youtube clips of The Thick of It, does anybody else see similarities between Tennant and Capaldi, despite the language of course?
    A lot of his facial expressions, mannerisms, and even the shape of his head remind me of 10! (and then of course, the accent)
    Will miss Matt Smith though, thought he was brilliant as The Doctor, for a young actor he really made you believe that he was a one thousand year old time traveller that had seen it all.

I'm going to throw those people who don't like Capaldi already being in Who (even though it's happened LOADS of times before) an in continuity bone.

Timelords have, in the past, changed their own appearances when regenerating. Romana did it when regenerating into "Romana 2" to resemble some princess or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

If only I had sent a text rather than a facebook message. When my friend who doesn't even like the show almost spoiled it last night though I knew there was no way I'd make it twenty four hours. I was hoping for Capaldi though so delighted it's him. Given me some new enthusiasm for the show again, was close to giving up on it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The Barfly wrote:
    Just watching some Youtube clips of The Thick of It, does anybody else see similarities between Tennant and Capaldi, despite the language of course?
    A lot of his facial expressions, mannerisms, and even the shape of his head remind me of 10! (and then of course, the accent)
    Will miss Matt Smith though, thought he was brilliant as The Doctor, for a young actor he really made you believe that he was a one thousand year old time traveller that had seen it all.

Co-worker had a great bonkers theory that he will be ten plucked out of the timeline and given a major kicking through time due to eleven trying to avoid becoming 12 (John hurt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Like the older Doctor but I think that PC is a bit of an overactor

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Overactor? Smith hams it up to beat the band, as did Tennant, a real scene chewer(though with more depth than Smith). IMHO Ecclestone was by far the most subtle of the new Who.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Like the older Doctor but I think that PC is a bit of an overactor

To be fair, overacting is part and parcel of being the Doctor.

They all ham it up at times, sometimes just for the sake of it.

Smith and Tennant are fabulous examples of it.

Yeah but they don't annoy me as much as he does :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah but they don't annoy me as much as he does :P
    Again, I think people are letting Malcolm Tucker cloud their judgement about the actor; of course Capaldi played Tucker in broad strokes, bordering on hammy: how else could a character like that be played? Tucker was a one dimensional, sweary Rasputin, with no subtly or hidden depths getting in the way of an otherwise marvelous pantomime villain. Capaldi simply committed to the role with gusto.

If you look at Capaldi other work - his character in Torchwood for instance is a good example - you see a more refined acting ability. I do wonder if he went for this role as a deliberate & intentional antidote to any typecasting he may be facing as a result of his hitherto most famous role. You can't get more unlike Malcolm Tucker than The Doctor.

He was good in Torchwood but his turn in the Pompeii episode was much like his Tucker. Just depends on which acting style he employs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Watch PC in Field of Blood for an example of him in an understated part playing a small but crucial role as a veteran hack drinking himself to death.
    Agreed that in The Thick of It the only way to go with playing Malcolm Tucker is somewhere on the hammier side of Captain Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Anyone see the new Doctor Who trailer with Capaldi in it? Nearly 500k views in a day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

He's been a fan for a while, judging from this http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/08/peter-capaldi-fan.html

I really do hate the promo picture, what is he meant to be doing his hand?! I don't get it...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I feel the same. Matt Smith marched right into the very top tier of Doctors for me, but I think he's had a pretty complete run now. I'm happy for the reins to be handed over.
    Ditto really. I thought he was superb in the role. I've watched pretty much all 33 seasons and Smith pretty much rose to the top. He balanced the mystery, humour, darkness and all the qualities better than nearly any of them (with perhaps the exception of Tom). Sorely missed but I do think Capaldi is a great choice because it represents the opportunity to do something very different. I reckon we'll see shades of Pertwee in the same way that Smith gave us echoes of Troughton.
    Something I've always regretted is C Baker, McCoy and McGann not getting a chance to really let themselves shine. There's moments with all of them when they looked to be as good as my favourites were. For various reasons, in the mainstream Who media, they never got their chance though.
    Agreed. Anyone who has listened to some of the audios with Colin Baker would lament the fact that he never got the opportunity he deserved. I'd have loved to have seen him in further televised adventures with Evelyn Smythe.

Well played
    nd6Lamf.gif

Z5ZQw6R.gif

fxL4kFS.gif

McXQrsW.gif

An interesting article about Moffat, a female Doctor and a lot of problems some fans (myself included) have with how he writes the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tbh I don't really get why the Doctor has to be a woman or black, it wouldn't matter to me if it was but it doesn't really matter if it isn't.
    According to Gaiman it was offered to a black actor before but he turned it down. Whether that was under Moffat or Davies I don't know.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Tbh I don't really get why the Doctor has to be a woman or black, it wouldn't matter to me if it was but it doesn't really matter if it isn't.
    According to Gaiman it was offered to a black actor before but he turned it down. Whether that was under Moffat or Davies I don't know.

But as the article says, it's not about the doctor needing to be black or female it's that the idea never seemed to enter Moffat's head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But as the article says, it's not about the doctor needing to be black or female it's that the idea never seemed to enter Moffat's head.

The comment about the Queen was very like his humour though, that's how I took it, he often takes the piss out of twitter, blogs etc.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement