Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smurfit on a 2:2?

Options
  • 02-06-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I've just received my results for the final year of my arts undergraduate degree. My GPA amounted to 3.01 (just .07 short of a 2:1)...although I really enjoyed my time in UCD, I need to up-skill and have my heart set on Smurfit business school. My second year GPA was 2.45, but then I woke up and this year's GPA was 3.58- so unfortunately despite my efforts I was just short of an overall 2:1

I've looked at Smurfit's website and I realize there are some masters programmes were a 2:1 is non-negotiable such as the accounting masters. Whereas, a large number of them require 'a minimum second class honours' (2:1-2:2). I went to their open evening and asked about getting in on a 2:2 and they seemed fairly adamant about having a 2:1 to get in, although they didn't deny that some people have gotten in on 2:2's.

So I'll cut to the chase- Can I get in on my 3.01 (very high 2:2)? Right now I don't have the money to pay for it, so most likely I'll be working for 2 years to pay for it.... The masters that I have my eye on are the Supply Chain Management one and the Marketing (not marketing practice) masters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

When you apply, I'd suggest pointing out your 3rd year grades compared to your 2nd year. Sometimes programmes take "exit velocity" into consideration, ie how well you performed towards the end, rather than at the start.

I don't know about that degree particularly, but Smurfit is usually pretty competitive and can pick and choose who they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

There are people on my course in Smurfit who have 2.2's. However they are not recent graduates which no doubt mitigated their lower than required degree award.

It really depends on the course. MAcc, Marketing Practice and a few others are usually quite oversubscribed so there's not much hope there. I don't know about the two you've mentioned but all you can do is speak with the programme heads and see what they say.

If this is 2 years away as you suggest then I would strongly suggest you try to gain some professional experience in an area related to those masters. It will certainly stand to you when you apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sugar Free wrote: »
    There are people on my course in Smurfit who have 2.2's. However they are not recent graduates which no doubt mitigated their lower than required degree award.

It really depends on the course. MAcc, Marketing Practice and a few others are usually quite oversubscribed so there's not much hope there. I don't know about the two you've mentioned but all you can do is speak with the programme heads and see what they say.
    This is slightly off topic but say if you have a few bad grades on your transcript from pervious years and then in final year you work really hard and manage to get the 2:1. Would that get you a place or would they look back and see that you were way off in other years and not give you a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

ryanf1 wrote: »
    This is slightly off topic but say if you have a few bad grades on your transcript from pervious years and then in final year you work really hard and manage to get the 2:1. Would that get you a place or would they look back and see that you were way off in other years and not give you a place?

I honestly don't know, my gut feeling is that they'll generally go with the overall grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yeah the 2:1 is going to be tough for me to achieve but all I can do is try!
    Do people think that smurfit is worth the nearly €3k extra in fees than everywhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Do people think that smurfit is worth the nearly €3k extra in fees than everywhere else?

I think so. I am currently looking at smurfit and some colleges in the UK/US. Smurfit seems to be the best fit for price and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I know quite a few recent graduates who were accepted to courses in Smurfit on a 2.2. I think it really depends on the number and quality of applications for the specific course; if the course is over subscribed, it is likely that places are allocated based on academic merit. If there are fewer applicants than places, you may stand a better chance. However, most colleges/schools will say that each application is considered on a case by case basis, so, when applying, make sure you write a good letter of application, and re-read it plenty of times to ensure it makes sense and that it contains no errors.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RachaelBM11

I've just received my results for the final year of my arts undergraduate degree. My GPA amounted to 3.01 (just .07 short of a 2:1)...although I really enjoyed my time in UCD, I need to up-skill and have my heart set on Smurfit business school. My second year GPA was 2.45, but then I woke up and this year's GPA was 3.58- so unfortunately despite my efforts I was just short of an overall 2:1

I've looked at Smurfit's website and I realize there are some masters programmes were a 2:1 is non-negotiable such as the accounting masters. Whereas, a large number of them require 'a minimum second class honours' (2:1-2:2). I went to their open evening and asked about getting in on a 2:2 and they seemed fairly adamant about having a 2:1 to get in, although they didn't deny that some people have gotten in on 2:2's.

So I'll cut to the chase- Can I get in on my 3.01 (very high 2:2)? Right now I don't have the money to pay for it, so most likely I'll be working for 2 years to pay for it.... The masters that I have my eye on are the Supply Chain Management one and the Marketing (not marketing practice) masters.

Hey I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering did they accept you with a 2:2 in the end? I have a conditional offer for smurfit MSC marketing if I get a 2:1 but doing my final year exams at the moment I think I'll be just short of a 2:1. I have my heart set on smurfit so I'm wondering if they do take any 2:2 students?

Thank you

Advertisement