Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region Locked Steam Games

• 02-06-2013 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Ok so I never bothered with making use of the old random US billing address on Amazon.com until recently. Spotted Dead Island going for peanuts, bought it with my own card and a random US address to complete the transaction. Worked fine, I got the key emailed to me.

Now I can't activate it as Im getting the "not available in your country" error.

Any way round this barring this arseache VPN business Im reading about? - which looks like it could lead me to getting a banned steam account!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just to be clear, did you buy Dead Island from Amazon? That's really odd if so. There's an issue with some Russian games being region locked but never heard of it with US games. I've bought loads of games from Amazon but never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

got black ops 2 polski edition for €24 when it launched - steam forced me to download a region locked version of the game (only in polish) - had to do some file-swapping wizardry to get it running in english - Google it, it bet there are dozens of people with a similar issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Yeah this specific game is region locked on Amazon.

Pretty easy to get passed. You need to connect to a US VPN or Proxy. VPN is probably best.

I personally pay for a VPN subscription but there are plenty of free options.

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Be cautious, region spoofing is one of the things Steam gets annoyed in the account closing way about. Though I've only ever heard of this happening to people that spoofed region to buy games through Steam cheaper.

If the key is region locked I don't think there's much that you can do to get it working on a non-US Steam account without region spoofing which is potentially problematic as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah its Amazon US. Im glad now I didnt buy a more expensive CD key from them but then I did read that many games have no such issue and Dead Island is one that does. I dont think Ill bother with vpn thing, as a €2 middling game isnt worth the possible hassle with Valve.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Agricola wrote: »
    Yeah its Amazon US. Im glad now I didnt buy a more expensive CD key from them but then I did read that many games have no such issue and Dead Island is one that does. I dont think Ill bother with vpn thing, as a €2 middling game isnt worth the possible hassle with Valve.

Thanks all.

I doubt steam would give you any hassle as they can't really prove you weren't in the US when you activated it.

Who says you didn't buy it while over there.. They can't give you grief for that

Advertisement