Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions for Architecture in DIT, course DT101 2013

Options
  • 02-06-2013 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Really curious to find out roughly what the points will be for Architecture this year. I'm aware that 100 points go for the test and 100 for the interview. I luckily got 90 for the test and 70 for the interview so i was wondering, roughly what would be the minimum points I'd need to just about get me in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

Gone are the days when the points to get in were over 640. If you get around 400 you should be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ninaleahy

Turns out that I only got 330 :( I'm going to get 4papers rechecked though because the grades were really unexpected. Do you think I'm completely out of a chance now to get in? Because I've read a couple of articles telling me that the demand for architecture has gone down over 12% from last year? I just really hope there may be the slimmest chance that I could get in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

ninaleahy wrote: »
    Turns out that I only got 330 :( I'm going to get 4papers rechecked though because the grades were really unexpected. Do you think I'm completely out of a chance now to get in? Because I've read a couple of articles telling me that the demand for architecture has gone down over 12% from last year? I just really hope there may be the slimmest chance that I could get in :(
    Did you apply for anything similar? Students were accepted with fewer than 330 points last year for courses that would probably enable you to transfer into architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Royaler95

Yeah I applied too and got only 60 for the Test and 50 for the interview , then 305 points which is fairly terrible haha

Im the same as you , hoping that some people dont accept the offer , but you see yourself , their was a fair few on the list for an interview

One glimmer of hope for us is that only 192 students applied for a Construction related course as their first choice , so does that mean lets say someone had Architecture as their 2nd choice , but accepted their 1st , does that mean we move up the list ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Garyjh126

I recently dropped out of music down in WIT. I'm hoping to go to DIT for architecture next year. I was wondering, what is the interview like? And was there any way you prepared for the aptitude test? I got 400 on my leaving which should be alright but I'm afraid the interview won't get me the points I need.

• Advertisement

You need to show that you have an interest in the subject - that's their primary concern. I think it's more about how you present yourself to the panel. If they feel you are passionate then they'll want you and mark you highly, having a good portfolio is also important.

You will be asked basic questions and you already know what those will be so you have more than enough time to prepare. If you're a mature student then you will have to demonstrate to them that you have a certain way of thinking and that you have an opinion on current architectural discourse. You should also question them on the school as it shows you're interested in studying at the right university and not on getting any offer you can. You should also look into other schools as DIT might not be what you're looking for.

In relation to the aptitude test; it's not very complicated. If you can draw in any way then feel very free when you're given those boxes with different dots and shapes. Any answer is right as long as it is in some way well composed.

When I did it there were two essays. 400 words each. Write about why you want to study architecture and another describing a landscape/city or town you like or where you come from. This should be in some way poetic and demonstrate your skills at observation. For example "Trinity college is a pocket of silence in the city" is better than "I hate Kevin Roche".

You need to show that you have an interest in the subject - that's their primary concern. I think it's more about how you present yourself to the panel. If they feel you are passionate then they'll want you and mark you highly, having a good portfolio is also important.

You will be asked basic questions and you already know what those will be so you have more than enough time to prepare. If you're a mature student then you will have to demonstrate to them that you have a certain way of thinking and that you have an opinion on current architectural discourse. You should also question them on the school as it shows you're interested in studying at the right university and not on getting any offer you can. You should also look into other schools as DIT might not be what you're looking for.

In relation to the aptitude test; it's not very complicated. If you can draw in any way then feel very free when you're given those boxes with different dots and shapes. Any answer is right as long as it is in some way well composed.

When I did it there were two essays. 400 words each. Write about why you want to study architecture and another describing a landscape/city or town you like or where you come from. This should be in some way poetic and demonstrate your skills at observation. For example "Trinity college is a pocket of silence in the city" is better than "I hate Kevin Roche".

What advice would you give towards portfolio work? Also, did you do work experience before the interview? I have been seeking exp with an architect but no one was interested. I think I read somewhere that the exp is required but I'm not totally sure.

You don't need experience. If you're unsure about whether it's the path you want to take then you could request shadowing a firm for a week or two. But there are so many bad firms out there it might put you off. If you're set on studying architecture forget about the experience. You don't need it and you'll go into an office unaware of what their expectations are of you. In Switzerland many people do three or four years part time in an office before starting college, but never in Ireland.

I went straight to college after my leaving cert and I hadn't done art, big mistake! I failed the portfolio for UL, but I did very well in DIT because they saw I was passionate. I wouldn't rely on the quality of the conversation to get me in however, so I would highly recommend doing a portfolio course somewhere. They will really help if you have no previous art experience. If you have experience then don't bother. Again they want to see good observation skills. So maybe create an obsession over an apple or an avocado, draw it in different ways with different mediums, ie charcoal, graphite, paint, collage. If there are drawings or paintings you really like then recreate them. Don't try and compose something yourself like I did as you have no training. Observation is the key. It would also be very useful to keep a sketchbook with you and start recording the world around you. Show them this at the interview, a quick sketch on an observation you made. The sketches don't have to be beautiful as long as they refer to something. Look at Alvaro Siza's sketches - but don't make sketches look sketchy. If you don't sketch at first they might look odd. Just let your hands develop a drawing style. There's nothing worse than sketches when people try and make them look sketchy.

You don't need experience. If you're unsure about whether it's the path you want to take then you could request shadowing a firm for a week or two. But there are so many bad firms out there it might put you off. If you're set on studying architecture forget about the experience. You don't need it and you'll go into an office unaware of what their expectations are of you. In Switzerland many people do three or four years part time in an office before starting college, but never in Ireland.

I went straight to college after my leaving cert and I hadn't done art, big mistake! I failed the portfolio for UL, but I did very well in DIT because they saw I was passionate. I wouldn't rely on the quality of the conversation to get me in however, so I would highly recommend doing a portfolio course somewhere. They will really help if you have no previous art experience. If you have experience then don't bother. Again they want to see good observation skills. So maybe create an obsession over an apple or an avocado, draw it in different ways with different mediums, ie charcoal, graphite, paint, collage. If there are drawings or paintings you really like then recreate them. Don't try and compose something yourself like I did as you have no training. Observation is the key. It would also be very useful to keep a sketchbook with you and start recording the world around you. Show them this at the interview, a quick sketch on an observation you made. The sketches don't have to be beautiful as long as they refer to something. Look at Alvaro Siza's sketches - but don't make sketches look sketchy. If you don't sketch at first they might look odd. Just let your hands develop a drawing style. There's nothing worse than sketches when people try and make them look sketchy.

This was great advice, thanks!

So I got 80 on my test and 60 on the interview. With 400 on the LC, that adds up to 540. I was pretty disappointed with the interview because of the fact that they only gave me 10 minutes and I didn't get to answer their questions as I would have liked to. Anyway, do you think the points will jump up over 20 points if at all? If the points go to 545 for instance, I would be really frustrated. But even they did go up to 545, do I still stand any chance? I have heard of a few instances where people got into their courses with 10 points lower than what the course demanded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement