Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Scott Steiner and HHH immediately spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Wasn't Chris Masters a classic case of this? He was pumped up and HHH criticised him for being unnaturally big. He dropped the excess muscle and HHH criticised him for being too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Wasn't Chris Masters a classic case of this? He was pumped up and HHH criticised him for being unnaturally big. He dropped the excess muscle and HHH criticised him for being too small.

Saw some interview where he said he actually didn't mind HHH ribbing him, in the interview he said HHH was like this with everyone, basically making light of the situation. Plus I'd imagine HHH is aware of the comments people make about him. He was actually was pissed off at JBL who made a jibe because of the weight, Masters commented on how JBL was never in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is this the lowest ebb for WWE since the the mid 90s I wonder? Tv and buyrates are poor, the likes of Bryan and Punk don't seem to be drawing any new fans in like Austin Rock or Hogan once did. Cenas the top guy but after that who really draws big money for them anymore. For eg my non wrestling friends stare blankly if I say CM or DB.

I wonder will wrestling ever achieve mainstream popularity in the States and further afield again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

LOTD wrote: »
    It's funny when Bret Hart and Ric Flair have a go at each other for whatever reasons, yet I find their ring style to be incredibly similar (not sure if they have ever trashed each others wrestling ability).

I know that Flair said this of Bret. "Hart was a good wrestler, but not a great champion". Take from that what you will. That was in his book To Be The Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

It ebbs and flows. I mean Pro Wrestling has had 3 golden ages - the 50s, the 80s and the late 90s. It might take a while but it'll return to popular concious again at some point.

It ebbs and flows. I mean Pro Wrestling has had 3 golden ages - the 50s, the 80s and the late 90s. It might take a while but it'll return to popular concious again at some point.

The Internet has taken a certain mystique away though it must be said. And twitter even more so, we can literally see what these men and women are thinking everyday whereas before they were these larger than life characters who you'd know next to nothing about.

Another point is that it's not must see, you can DVR or download almost anything at anytime and just skim through the content and not absorb it really. We can be 'selfish' for want of a better word, feeling an entitlement to instant gratification and payoffs.

Also, there's more distractions nowadays. 24/7 sports channels which also feature 'real' fighting like MMA. Who knows though??

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Internet has taken a certain mystique away though it must be said. And twitter even more so, we can literally see what these men and women are thinking everyday whereas before they were these larger than life characters who you'd know next to nothing about.

Another point is that it's not must see, you can DVR or download almost anything at anytime and just skim through the content and not absorb it really. We can be 'selfish' for want of a better word, feeling an entitlement to instant gratification and payoffs.

Also, there's more distractions nowadays. 24/7 sports channels which also feature 'real' fighting like MMA. Who knows though??

You make some good points, Since Raw went to 3 hours I can't watch it without sky plusing, some weeks I don't even bother.

MMA is another factor like you mentioned, I suppose most young males are more interesting in an actual real shoot fight rather than goofy bullsh1t storylines and criuserweigths fighting Brock Lesner in the main event of a fixed fight.

As you say wrestling has lost it's mystique. Maybe the old guys like Harley Race and Ole Anderson had a point in defending kayfabe, Jim Cornette also, I've even heard him recently on MLW with Konnan and co lamenting the state of the industry in the USA. The encroach of modern technology might be the ruination of PW.

Technology has impacted every walk of life, so I think blaming it can feel like a cop out in some way, wrestling in particular has made a clunky change into the 'digital age'. The WWE still have an old school attitude towards the ratings.

Deft you are totally right about fans tuning into MMA, people want to believe that the guys in the ring are going to kick the crap out of each other. I think the Michaels/Hart video package leading up to Wrestlemania 12 and The Rock/Lesnar Summerslam video package were great they had shoot elements worked into well crafted storylines. To paraphrase from Jim Cornette "in the 80's we were pretending to beat the hell out of each other and everybody believed us. Now we are actually beating the hell out of each other, and nobody believes us"

One thing I disagree with you is when you say cruiserweights in main events against heavyweights, good wrestlers get where they are through talent and if you did take away certain crazy scenarios it's not pro wrestling, let's be honest pro wrestling can be ridiculous and all the better for it sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So maybe this is a discussion for another thread, but if the WWE wasn't fake and was a MMA company, who on the current roster would be champ?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So maybe this is a discussion for another thread, but if the WWE wasn't fake and was a MMA company, who on the current roster would be champ?

Brock Lesnar if you wanna count him as 'on the roster'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Omackeral wrote: »
    Brock Lesnar if you wanna count him as 'on the roster'

Meh if anyone could punch they'd stop him tbh.

Also. You should make a thread on that. Could be fun to get some opinions/stories.

Two different skill sets.WWE is not a legit fighting company, so you can't make the comparison. Swagger and Ziggler are brilliant amateur wrestlers, Heath Slater is a good boxer, Santino Marella has a judo background. As far as Brock Lesnar great strength but he doesn't have the best technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I reckon Vince would love the idea of using his talent in MMA matches. MME - Mixed Martial Entertainment. Who wouldn't want to watch Lesnar vs Big Show, Mark Henry vs Big E Langston, and Ryback vs Antonio Cesaro beat the sh!t out of each other?!

Arawn wrote: »

So who on the roster would take him? Who is the UFC Heavyweight Champion in waiting that we don't know about?

Charisteas wrote: »
    I reckon Vince would love the idea of using his talent in MMA matches. MME - Mixed Martial Entertainment. Who wouldn't want to watch Lesnar vs Big Show, Mark Henry vs Big E Langston, and Ryback vs Antonio Cesaro beat the sh!t out of each other?!

So Brawl for All 2 then?

Ha I don't know if your being serious, Lions Den, anyone? :D

Ha I don't know if your being serious, Lions Den, anyone? :D

WWE need something to put on the new network next year!

A typical days schedule could be -

7pm - Dinner Date - Michael Hayes and Rosa Mendez go for dinner at a hotel, with a free bar.

8pm - Big Brother House - Iron Shiek, Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper and Bob Backlund lead an all legends line-up in a Big Brother style house.

10pm - Fight Club - WWE talent participate in a Fight Club style tournament.

Midnight - Eric Bischoff's HLA - Download the WWE App to vote for the two divas you want to watch tonight.

7pm - Dinner Date - Michael Hayes and Rosa Mendez go for dinner at a hotel, with a free bar.

8pm - Big Brother House - Iron Shiek, Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper and Bob Backlund lead an all legends line-up in a Big Brother style house.

Midnight - Eric Bischoff's HLA - Download the WWE App to vote for the two divas you want to watch tonight.

Also during Raw they should run an alternate show called jaded fans, where viewers just shake there heads and sigh for three hours :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

How much of the content could you fast forward through as whoever can sit through the live 3 hours Raw`s now must have a huge pain threshold.

I wonder if Smackdown will eventually go 3 hours too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I wonder if Smackdown will eventually go 3 hours too?
    Don't give them ideas >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

But if Lesnar gets a hold of you, you're done. He could legit fcuk up the vast majority of the roster with ease.
    GTR63 wrote: »
    How much of the content could you fast forward through as whoever can sit through the live 3 hours Raw`s now must have a huge pain threshold.

I've managed the last two weeks live, but it would be torture by yourself. Being on forums like this is a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't know if you realise what being former UFC heavyweight champion means - it means Lesnar can kick the tar out of everyone (except a small handful of people) on the planet. Especially guys in entertainment who are booked strong like Taker or Triple H! This is not hyperbole.
    Two different skill sets. WWE is not a legit fighting company, so you can't make the comparison. Swagger and Ziggler are brilliant amateur wrestlers, Heath Slater is a good boxer, Santino Marella has a judo background. As far as Brock Lesnar great strength but he doesn't have the best technique.

Great post. I'd just add Lesnar's technique is relative to the best heavyweight wrestlers in the world, of which there are few. Guys like legend Randy Couture couldn't overcome him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds absolutely awesome?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

orestes wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that sounds absolutely awesome?

nope. WWE should put a few quid aside, provide drink and drugs, and just let the fireworks happen. It could legitimately be incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's like an A-List version of "Legends House". It'd be all kinds of awesome.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    But if Lesnar gets a hold of you, you're done. He could legit fcuk up the vast majority of the roster with ease.

I've managed the last two weeks live, but it would be torture by yourself. Being on forums like this is a big help.

That's the truth, Lesnar could legitimately kill a 210lbs CM Punk in a real fight.

Fans won't buy smaller guys in the main event, it's bad for business focusing on a small guy as your big player. It doesn't work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

That's the truth, Lesnar could legitimately kill a 210lbs CM Punk in a real fight.

Fans won't buy smaller guys in the main event, it's bad for business focusing on a small guy as your big player. It doesn't work at all.

Although, I agree Brock would win you can't judge a guy by his size.

Yoshi Tatsu beat up Sheamus in a real fight. Chris Jericho beat up Goldberg. Booker T beat up Batista.

“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement