Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

rovert wrote: »
    Paige is a weird case. The biggest factors in evaluating her main roster stint is firstly none of us know the level of micromanagement that goes into her matches by road agents. You saw how stripped out/dumbed down Charlotte's moveset was when she had her Raw match with Nattie last year. Second is she has the busiest schedule of anyone works all TVs and live events, Total Divas, Tough Enough, Comic Con regular as well as tonnes of media and charity stuff so she may not be focused on her matches these days.

What I hate about Paige's matches is they all largely follow the same pattern. Long heel heat section, short and easy comeback and then Paige wins. Haven't noticed but does she still hold her face when she is selling?

I've been aware of her for I don't know how long at least 10 years. It was via Lee Burton and Stewart Allen both friends/associates of her family and their promotion(s) who also covered the UK scene and Women's Wrestling. Everyone speaks very highly of her from friends in England, US indies, developmental and main roster. She has always handled the Wrestling business very well and her fans extra specially well. But I will say I've never gotten the sense in the ring that there's a second generation wrestler in there from her. Her indie experience is greatly overplayed. She worked a specific style in very specific promotion working for her parents. Basically she just beaten up while her opponent told the crowd to shut up. When she worked other indie promotions she was written off as looks over substance.

She worked for Shimmer didn't she? I expect if she is capable of having truly good matches the evidence will be found there. I haven't gotten that far in my Shimmer viewing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

duuuaaaane wrote: »
    New thought. I am a wrestling fan but I hate wrestling fans.

I was watching Saturday Night Live with my brother and I asked why everyone kept clapping and saying how they were so grateful to be here. Then he asked me about celebrities appearing on RAW and I told him how we'd boo them for shilling their newest film or whatever and he looked at me like I'd three heads. We are very cult-like, hate outsiders. I dunno if that ties in but wrestling fans are quite protective and klique-y about wrestling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Really most of my issues with celebrities appearing is if they have matches, they basically always win. It never makes any sense that they do win, and it usually makes the wrestler facing them look stupid.

Cases in point: Snookie, David Arquette, Trump laying out Vince, Jay Leno, Lawrence Taylor, Pacman Jones winning the TNA tag titles despite not actually being allowed to wrestle!

Once you've seen that enough times, you kinda get sick of seeing celebrities cause you know they are pretty much a lock to come out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Angron wrote: »
    Really most of my issues with celebrities appearing is if they have matches, they basically always win. It never makes any sense that they do win, and it usually makes the wrestler facing them look stupid.

Cases in point: Snookie, David Arquette, Trump laying out Vince, Jay Leno, Lawrence Taylor, Pacman Jones winning the TNA tag titles despite not actually being allowed to wrestle!

Once you've seen that enough times, you kinda get sick of seeing celebrities cause you know they are pretty much a lock to come out on top.

Kevin Federline beat John Cena too. Jesus!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Omackeral wrote: »
    Kevin Federline beat John Cena too. Jesus!
    I thought we were talking about celebrities :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Angron wrote: »
    I thought we were talking about celebrities :pac:

It made the Irish Daily Star, that's high celebrity right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I just seen Kevin Owens is Rolling Stones wrestler of the year so far.

Looking back in WWE over the last six months, John Cena is that guy for me.

For all the flack he gets, he has had some amazing matches this year, on TV and PPV.

The problem is, Cena is busting out these "Indy Style" matches so often with the million high spots and kick outs there are all starting to merge into one image.

Bring back jobbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Far too many power moves being squandered by both Cena and Steen. I enjoyed their first match but second was a complete spot fest.

• Advertisement

What's our opinion of the people who think that Montreal was a work? Sean Waltman thinks so but then again, he probably thinks it's still 1997.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I have thought since roughly the year 2001, it would have been best for everyone if it was worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

No way it was a work. Bret and Shawn genuinely hated each, took constant cheap shots and Vince had made his choice that Shawn was his "man". Im not gonna get into the rights and wrongs of everything leading up to that night and what happened but it was preventable and also almost inevitable once a solution was found to suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What's our opinion of the people who think that Montreal was a work? Sean Waltman thinks so but then again, he probably thinks it's still 1997.

I watched Wrestling with Shadows recently for the first time since it came out.

I don't think it was a work after watching it but Bret is a bit of a dick and all I could think off while watching again was how could he not see it coming.

This is a guy who grew up in a wrestling family and knew the in and outs of the business he was in and that the promoter will screw everyone to come out on top and make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I think the main reason for the suggestion it was a work was the wrestling with shadows documentary....why was there a film crew following Bret around at that specific time? why did Breat watch Raw the next day?

the MSJ made the doc go from 'interesting' to 'essential watch' and best seller!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

Is it a weird theory to think WWE used working with Lana as a sweetener for Dolph to sign a new contract??

I mean if my contract was about to expire and I found out my new future storyline is having Lana as my on-screen girlfriend, then I think I would sign it!

Unless he thinks like a 15 year old boy who has never touched a boob then yes I think thats a weird theory

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I watched Wrestling with Shadows recently for the first time since it came out.

I don't think it was a work after watching it but Bret is a bit of a dick and all I could think off while watching again was how could he not see it coming.

This is a guy who grew up in a wrestling family and knew the in and outs of the business he was in and that the promoter will screw everyone to come out on top and make money.

I've heard waltman saying the same as you got to agree, why would he even let hbk put him in a sharpshooter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Last Mondays Raw was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Paddy_Mski

Reebrock wrote: »
    The problem is, Cena is busting out these "Indy Style" matches so often with the million high spots and kick outs there are all starting to merge into one image.

Bring back jobbers.

Jesus, some people will just never be happy with Cena. He gets abuse for the "5 moves of doom" stuff he's been doing for years now has near enough 5 star matches every week and thats a problem??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Credit to him for using different moves but I don't think he's hit that springboard stunner clean once.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

My problem with Cena is how he's booked and how he often fawns off rivals in promos after a beat down angle the week before. I don't have a problem with him as a wrestler. He knows how to structure a match like no other and he always gives 100% can't criticize him for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Lithium93_ wrote: »

That article is spot on. This part sums up the problem with Ziggler and Lana
    Dolph Ziggler and Lana have the chemistry of the Titanic and the Ice Berg. They have the chemistry of clean tongues and dirty assholes. They have the chemistry of matter and anti-matter. They are, frankly, the worst ****ing thing the WWE has put on television in a long time.

Was thinking of going back and re-watching some of the Attitude Era on this http://watchwrestling.ch/category/attitude-era/ . not sure where to start off though, suggestions?

Was thinking of going back and re-watching some of the Attitude Era on this http://watchwrestling.ch/category/attitude-era/ . not sure where to start off though, suggestions?

start from Survivor Series 96

I was thinking that actually. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    That article is spot on. This part sums up the problem with Ziggler and Lana

Agreed. She was really good but since they split, the character just smiles and fawns all over Ziegler.

Setting aside WWE screwing up pushes etc, I kind of hope the NXT women stay on NXT, for the only reason being that they seem real there and have good matches. If they get called up to the main roster it seems a bit like going from reality to the twilight zone.

I also dislike the term "Diva" it has negative connotations and implies that a woman is a high maintenance, pain in the ass. I think they should change it back to the "Women's" championship. It's more realistic and respectful.

LeeJM wrote: »
    start from Survivor Series 96

I love this show: it's like a proper cross roads of the promotion.

You have Stone Cold coming into his own yet have fake Diesel on the card. The Champion babyface being booed and the pushed heel being cheered - and why is Super Sock still on TV? You have the returning Bret Hart firing on all cylinders whilst old rival Yokozuna is down in the mid card on his last legs. The debut of Rock whilst Jimmy Snuka is being positioned as "company legend" wrestling matches.

A fun time...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

No one made a Smackdown thread. Feck sake lads.

Bray Wyatt vs Ambrose was alright. The Summer Rae/Rusev segment was kind of amusing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement