Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

"You've still got it!"

I should bleddy well hope so!!! (Wrestler, never inactive, just away from WWE for a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

It's mainly annoying because it cheapens the value of it.

I always think it's nice when someone returns after a long absence or semi-retirement and gets a "you still got it", but you can't just be throwing them at anybody who's been off in another promotion for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Ah, love listening to this theme song! Deuce & Domino really were excellent at their gimmick I thought. They went as far as they could with it by winning the tag titles and I don't think anyone could've pulled it off as good as them.
    At the same time, I kind of think the WWE may have missed the boat with them as singles competitors. Deuce is the son of Jimmy Snuka and is retired currently and Domino is on the indies under his real name of Cliff Compton. The plan for Domino was for him to join the Straight Edge Society by being found on the side of the street homeless but it never came to fruition. I'm sure they could've done something with Deuce also but oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Anyone watch WrestletalkTV show? I have only seen it a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ah, love listening to this theme song! Deuce & Domino really were excellent at their gimmick I thought. They went as far as they could with it by winning the tag titles and I don't think anyone could've pulled it off as good as them.
    At the same time, I kind of think the WWE may have missed the boat with them as singles competitors. Deuce is the son of Jimmy Snuka and is retired currently and Domino is on the indies under his real name of Cliff Compton. The plan for Domino was for him to join the Straight Edge Society by being found on the side of the street homeless but it never came to fruition. I'm sure they could've done something with Deuce also but oh well.

I always thought their gimmick was corny and a bit of a cartoony New Generation era throwback. The homeless to SES member would have been a goer, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

The internet is sh*tting all over the Brock vs Undertaker match already, can't really blame them. Would you expect Sting to get involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Would one final title run for taker be that bad an idea.

The New Day = Money

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The WWE really need to get the only men who will be able to keep The Undertaker and Lesnar apart in now after the whole roster couldn't do it.

JJ-Security-is-ready-to-pick-up-the-win-tonight-on-RAW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    The New Day = Money

Xavier Woods would make a great manager when hes done wrestling. hes great when hes on the outside on new day matches

• Advertisement

A lot of people decry the use of part-timers when they say WWE is stacked with able young stars. This is true, but no-one need act it's because of "Old man Vince" and his out of touch ways. I think the sad fact is that WWE has always leaned towards what they think will make them money right now as opposed to investing more into what will make them money a few years down the line. Or even a few months down the line, as the case may be. When not under pressure to do otherwise, they've always gone for (to make money) -

* 'Tenured' Superstars such as Hulk Hogan, John Cena, HHH etc. Guys who would almost always go over.

* Nostalgia factor for returning names of yesteryear

* Celebrities getting involved in the action e.g. Mr. T, Lawrence Taylor, Mike Tyson, Floyd Mayweather

And this has prevented a whole litany of legendary wrestlers who never quite rose into a position of main-event prominence in WWE. Guys who had the talent to do so as well. The WWE even made total goons out of guys who were top people in the territories they came from such as the guy who was Bastion Booger, but came from a position of respect in the NWA and Stampede.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If they can find the right story line for The New Day they could turn into an amazing faction I do think they are one member short though.

MVP to join and send them to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Anyone else think it's f**king cheeky to have 30s ads on a paid service? The WWE Network has it, and I recently saw Netflix has it. The cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

The AA has gone from one of the most protected moves in wrestling to one that rarely finishes the job & needs to be hit multiple times to win a match. Now Cena has been knocking it out of the park lately & I was never a fan of the move either but the amount of kick outs has been ridiculous. Not sure if it was Austin or JR that complained about it recently saying they're "chasing the pop at the expense of the finishing move" and talked about diminishing returns but I fully agree with them. I love a last second finisher kick out as much as anyone but when it's happening every week on RAW, sometimes multiple times, then the impact of it doesn't hold up as much for me. It used to be a huge deal & rub for someone to kick out of an AA but now half the roster has done it.

What do other people think? Is the finisher kick out becoming too commonplace on TV or is it much ado about nothing
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's f**king cheeky to have 30s ads on a paid service? The WWE Network has it, and I recently saw Netflix has it. The cheek!

It's rarely happened to me but yes. If I wanted to watch the trailer for Netflix's new show then I would have clicked on it. Just let me watch Bojack Horseman in peace!

Yep :( Seems WWE are too lazy to actually think of a match storyline, instead saying "just kick out of each other's finishers" as a story crutch. So lazy and actually detrimental. There's more drama in trying to hit your move, finally hitting it, and that being the decisive finish to the match. Ever wonder why Jake Roberts doing the lasso signal for the DDT was met with a massive pop? That's why!
    Just let me watch Bojack Horseman in peace!

:eek: This is exactly what happened to me! Been blitzing it the last few days

briany wrote: »
    A lot of people decry the use of part-timers when they say WWE is stacked with able young stars. This is true, but no-one need act it's because of "Old man Vince" and his out of touch ways.

Yep, fans wrongly place the 'blame' on the part-timers ("Biggest draws" would be a more accurate description) rather than who's really at fault - WWE not building new main eventers. Why is the WWE World Champion the lap dog of non-wrestlers Triple H & Steph? Because Seth's not a main eventer. He can go on last but is still presented as unworthy - like Jericho as Undisputed champion. Why aren't the B PPVs making their most valuable wrestlers look like megastars, so that they're big viable stars when as Taker, Brock and co come the big PPVs? As you said it takes months and months to do so (the payoff having big starts for the years after that) and WWE just don't have it :(

That said, I don't know if today's roster have the incredible charisma of the Hulkamania or Attitude Era, but their talents should be maximised, not squandered. Like Cesaro's currently running about 20% of how he could be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Yep :( Seems WWE are too lazy to actually think of a match storyline, instead saying "just kick out of each other's finishers" as a story crutch. So lazy and actually detrimental. There's more drama in trying to hit your move, finally hitting it, and that being the decisive finish to the match. Ever wonder why Jake Roberts doing the lasso signal for the DDT was met with a massive pop? That's why!

I agree in part with this but you have to factor in the evolution of wrestling since jakes time. TLC, Hell in a Cell even triple threat matches have only been introduced in the past 20 years in mainstream wrestling so they constantly have to come up with new ways to pop a crowd especially when the aforementioned matches normally take place before the main event nowadays.

Bryan and Dave have been giving out about the kicking out of finishers lately too, on Wrestling Observer Radio.

Would it be the fault of the agents putting the matches together though? This all seems to have started to take off in a big way after HBK and Taker fought at Mania 25. To have it happen on Raw is ridiculous.

Also, they need to bring back enhancement talent. It's like every episode of Raw has matches that should be PPV level matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

In terms of everyone kicking out of the AA and as a result it becoming normal for someone to kick out of it I think that's honestly down to Cena. Cena is great at what he does and knows how to put on a great match but always seems reluctant to sprinkle new moves into a match and so just relies on what he knows gets a reaction so he relies on the AA. And if he does decide to put a different move into a match he ruins that too by putting them in nearly all his matches going forward. Just look at the two most recent additions: springboard stunner and the sunset flip powerbomb.

In terms of everyone kicking out of the AA and as a result it becoming normal for someone to kick out of it I think that's honestly down to Cena. Cena is great at what he does and knows how to put on a great match but always seems reluctant to sprinkle new moves into a match and so just relies on what he knows gets a reaction so he relies on the AA. And if he does decide to put a different move into a match he ruins that too by putting them in nearly all his matches going forward. Just look at the two most recent additions: springboard stunner and the sunset flip powerbomb.

That sunset flip powerbomb is awful too.

I remember when he added in the legdrop off the top rope - now in every match. Also, that awful Frankensteiner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

His Code Red isn't that bad in fairness. You need the other guy to work with you as well.

Springboard Stunner is ****e though and he almost always botches it.

Give him credit for at least trying new stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Moneymaker wrote: »
    His Code Red isn't that bad in fairness. You need the other guy to work with you as well.

Springboard Stunner is ****e though and he almost always botches it.

Give him credit for at least trying new stuff though.

7 moves of doom.

Yep, fans wrongly place the 'blame' on the part-timers ("Biggest draws" would be a more accurate description) rather than who's really at fault - WWE not building new main eventers. Why is the WWE World Champion the lap dog of non-wrestlers Triple H & Steph? Because Seth's not a main eventer. He can go on last but is still presented as unworthy - like Jericho as Undisputed champion. Why aren't the B PPVs making their most valuable wrestlers look like megastars, so that they're big viable stars when as Taker, Brock and co come the big PPVs? As you said it takes months and months to do so (the payoff having big starts for the years after that) and WWE just don't have it :(

That said, I don't know if today's roster have the incredible charisma of the Hulkamania or Attitude Era, but their talents should be maximised, not squandered. Like Cesaro's currently running about 20% of how he could be doing.

I think WWE do have the talent, they're just too enticed by those short-term gains to really run with them fully.

I fully think that if WWE had not had it's ass kicked by WCW in '96/'97, if WCW hadn't even existed, the business model would have been quite similar as now because the old guard would have been pretty much available to book. Hulk Hogan would have been in the title picture, Macho, Flair, Piper etc. They would have all made up the main event scene. People like Foley and Austin may have gotten their heads into the frame, too, but always shunted down a peg when push came to shove, when the big PPVs came along. It's just business, and business is typically risk-averse, which unfortunately doesn't marry itself so well with creative ambitions much of the time.

Who do you think, if WWE used them to their full potential, would be as big as Rock, Austin, Foley, Taker, Shawn etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

This is one of my favourite topics when it comes to modern day WWE. I highlighted it after the first Cena vs Owens match and generally the opinion wasn't met with much love but I absolutely stick by it, the thing I dislike the most about the WWE product is the sheer lack of care for what actually happens in the ring. Though they don't like to call themselves a wrestling company, it is still the thing that makes up the majority of their broadcasts, it is, ultimately, what they are selling and yet it seems to be one of the lowest things on their list of priorities. There's practically never any storytelling in a match, if anything the actual match is an afterthought, what matters is what happens next, what's the next big shiny thing "oh look there's Sting", "Oh wow DX are back together" ect. it literally doesn't matter a jot how you get to that point, I genuinely believe you could fast forward through all the ring action and you'd not miss a thing.

This all ties in to the diminishing importance of finishers in WWE. It's a cheap way to get a pop, it's easy, when done right it can be a fantastic way of heightening the drama of a match but in WWE now it's almost become a universal cue for the audience to chant "this is awesome." I understand why the WWE style is the way it is, a kid in the crowd at his first show wants to see Cena/Orton/Reigns do their signature moves, so everyone in WWE must wrestle in that "5 moves of doom" style, everyone must get their stuff in. Essentially the environment stifles creativity, it stifles the performers ability to tell intriguing stories in the ring, the end result is that any match with a finisher as a false finish is a great match and all that matters really is the end result/whats next "Wyatt attacked Reigns! They'll wrestle next month!"

Oh loads!

Owen Hart
    Ken Kennedy
    Ken Shamrock
    Vader
    Bart Gunn
    Christian
    Sean O'Haire

Who do you think, if WWE used them to their full potential, would be as big as Rock, Austin, Foley, Taker, Shawn etc?

Any of the midcard to top tier talent, regular top tier talent have the potential to be break out stars, from Owens to Sandow, Cesaro to Wyatt. Those guys all have a huge amount of untapped potential and they've all paid their dues. They've all showed brilliance even in the creatively restrictive environment WWE has fashioned for them. If they were allowed to run with things, they'd be flying. Don't forget this is an organisation that has actively worked against its talent at times with things like stopping BNB saying his catchphrase, or halting Zack Ryder's momentum. It's a weird mindset but that's what a lot of these guys are up against. Beyond that, the only thing I think stopping a lot of these guys ever being as big as Rock or Austin is that pop culture and media is even more fragmented today. Whether wrestling, or anything else, can amass the cultural power again to attain the necessary critical mass in the mainstream is debateable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Oh loads!

Owen Hart
    Ken Kennedy
    Ken Shamrock
    Vader
    Bart Gunn
    Christian
    Sean O'Haire

Ah Gerry!

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ah Gerry!

Big Bad Bart had huge potential after he won the Brawl for All tourney. They destroyed that then when he was put up against Butterbean at Wrestlemania.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I never thought I'd say this but I really wish Raw had a face GM had the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement