Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Just that their death doesn't get dragged out for over a year like Paul Walker's.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Paige shouting "THIS IS MY HOUSE" about 8 times in 5 minutes every time she's on the screen has gotten very very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Paige shouting "THIS IS MY HOUSE" about 8 times in 5 minutes every time she's on the screen has gotten very very irritating.

It's like someone's Ma going mad after the lads have been around for a sesh but didn't clean up after themselves and she's snapping at you while picking up all the empty cans and bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was watching something yesterday when a person in hospital flatlined after a few beeps. Then realised every time that happens, all I think of is Taz's entrance music starting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was watching something yesterday when a person in hospital flatlined after a few beeps. Then realised every time that happens, all I think of is Taz's entrance music starting

Went for dinner the other day with the missus and the bill came. The total was 619ntd and all I could think was Booyaka Booyaka

felt a bit sad at the time, then I thought of Bill Shatner doing the Rey's entrance theme as he did one time and started to smile... then I returned to reality :o:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's funny those moments when wrestling seems to crossover into your own life. I remember when I was in my teens in French class the teacher wrote up on the board a French sentence and asked us if we knew what it was. It was 'nest pas peur'. I raised my hand (and I was not much use at French) and correctly answered that it meant 'don't be afraid.' There was quite a lot of surprise that I knew that.

Funny thing is the only reason I knew it was because around that time La Resistance were about to debut and they used to sign off their vignettes with that line. :pac:

briany wrote: »
    Their blind hatred of Sheamus is a bit annoying, too. Like, all you have to do to get a few upvotes is post "F*ck Sheamus" apropos of nothing in a thread. Even if you find Sheamus unbearable, that kind of hive mind carry on is equally irritating.
    Stumbled upon this https://www.reddit.com/r/f*cksheamus. Replace the * with a U

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

CastorTroy wrote: »

I remember when Taz debuted at Royal Rumble 2000 & his music started I taught it was the Undertaker returning for some reason as Take had been suspended since September 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,784 ✭✭✭✭briany

Stumbled upon this https://www.reddit.com/r/f*cksheamus. Replace the * with a U

Y'know, espousing your hate for any wrestler feels like a dangerous game these days. Every day that I check wrestling news, I'm half bracing myself for reports of yet another high profile death. God forbid if something happened to Sheamus, but serious words would be eaten by a ton of Internet posters. Just look at Warrior - a bad, dangerous wrestler who became a bitter bigot after his wrestling career ended, but when he died we all had to ignore that for the grace period. Puts Hogan's current situation in some perspective, and certainly Sheamus's. He's just a guy who does an honest job. Besides, JBL was known for being an arsehole in the back, and in the ring, took liberties quite a few times and people seem to like him well enough (not his announcing but that could be a production issue) so there's hypocrisy going on, I think.

briany wrote: »
    Y'know, espousing your hate for any wrestler feels like a dangerous game these days. Every day that I check wrestling news, I'm half bracing myself for reports of yet another high profile death. God forbid if something happened to Sheamus, but serious words would be eaten by a ton of Internet posters. Just look at Warrior - a bad, dangerous wrestler who became a bitter bigot after his wrestling career ended, but when he died we all had to ignore that for the grace period. Puts Hogan's current situation in some perspective, and certainly Sheamus's. He's just a guy who does an honest job. Besides, JBL was known for being an arsehole in the back, and in the ring, took liberties quite a few times and people seem to like him well enough (not his announcing but that could be a production issue) so there's hypocrisy going on, I think.
    As someone who didn't grow up in the time of the Warrior's run, I think he's a dick. Putting a gun to Vince's head for money at SummerSlam 1991, he no-showed 1, maybe 2 shows, I could go on and on but I'll finish with a segment from Bret's book where he talks about Warrior and a dying child (pulled this off of some site):
    "I got to see exactly what kind of champion Warrior was during a show in Omaha. Propped up on a stretcher a few feet outside the dressing room was a Make a Wish kid who looked to be down to his last few hours. There was not a hair left on his head, and not even his Warrior face paint could mask his sad eyes. Sickly pale and barely breathing through a ventilator tube, the boy wore a purple Warrior T-Shirt and greek and orange tassels tied around his biceps to honour his hero. His mother and father and an older brother and sister were with him, patiently waiting for the promised encounter with The Ultimate Warrior.

I bent over to say hello, as did all the other wrestlers on the way into the dressing room. It was odd, but there was Warrior actually sitting with us: he usually kept to himself in his private dressing room. By the time the third match started, a WWF public relations rep poked his head in and politely asked Warrior if he was ready to meet the dying boy. Warrior grunted, "In a ****in' minute. I'm busy." I thought to myself, busy doing what, talking to a bunch of guys you can't stand anyway?

As the night wore on the family waited just outside the dressing room door, the boy hanging on to his dying wish to meet his hero. I was relieved to see that they weren't there anymore after my match; I assumed that the kid's wish came true. As we rounded a corner down a backstage ramp, we came upon the boy and his weary family, who had been moved there so as not to get in the way of Warrior's entrance. I thought, that lousy piece of ****. He'd made them wait all night, unable to summon the compassion to see this real little warrior. Hogan, Randy and countless others, including Andre, never hesitated to take the time to meet a sick, dying kid. My disgust for Warrior magnified a thousand times. To me he was a coward, a weakling and a phony hero".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

With dead wrestlers in general it's more a case of having compassion for those they left behind. Like if you ****-talk Warrior on Twitter and tag him, his widow sees that. For me, most of the time too, it's just feeling like I don't actually know them and have a right to comment. I've met famous guys and seen them be both nice and complete arseholes in different scenarios. Most are just normal guys: capable of being both sides of the spectrum and easy to empathise with once you see the reason behind their darker sides. And lastly you have to keep in mind that other wrestlers telling stories, like the one above, could easily lie or have their own agenda in doing so.

Truth is there are no cast iron good guys and bad guys in wrestling, or real life for that matter. Just guys. And you just have to decide whether you personally like them or not and choose what you like them for and the negative aspects you choose to ignore in doing so. Is SCSA a workaholic redneck or a wife-beater? Is Undertaker a legendary locker room leader or a homophobic bully? At the right time of day you could probably convince me Benoit was a victim of the business and all evidence outside of his last few days pointed towards him being a stand-up guy. It's really your own call how you choose to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A wrestler putting a gun to Vince McMahon's head for money fair play to any wrestler that can do it.

Vince made hundreds of millions out of the blood sweat and tears of every wrestler that ever worked for him and then discarded them any wrestler that has the balls and the power to play Vince at his own I say fair play to them.

Vince and all wrestling promoters can't shy away from the parts they played in the lifestyles these wrestlers lived that lead to so many early deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,784 ✭✭✭✭briany

A wrestler putting a gun to Vince McMahon's head for money fair play to any wrestler that can do it.

Vince made hundreds of millions out of the blood sweat and tears of every wrestler that ever worked for him and then discarded them any wrestler that has the balls and the power to play Vince at his own I say fair play to them.

Vince and all wrestling promoters can't shy away from the parts they played in the lifestyles these wrestlers lived that lead to so many early deaths.

For someone who was in Warrior's position at the time, I think it was a selfish move. Warrior was in a position to sell that card, and as such he was also in a position to hurt the card with his absence and therefore potentially hurt the payoffs for the boys.

I totally agree that promoters in wrestling have been bloodsuckers but allowing a gripe with one to be potentially brought to bear in front of the public is their height of bad showmanship and unprofessional as hell.

I think threatening to disappoint all the fans who've bought tickets to see you is wrong. I can see where you're coming from though.
    Very true, when you're not drawing you ain't worth sh*t to Vince regardless of how much work they've put in.
    True, they are the people to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Warrior didn't hold Vince up as in (on the night of SummerSlam): "I'm not going out there until you give me this money". He had missed dates, there was the network exec's son autograph incident and he demanded the same pay as Hogan plus $550,000 for his Wrestlemania pay.

Also, he did express horrible comments about the gay community and hurricane Katrina victims.

I think this might be worthy of a thread. With Bryan Alvarez saying how the WWE consider him as an Upper-Midcarder at best, do you think in your heart and soul that the WWE will make Kevin Owens their world champion at some point? Regardless of how good he wrestles, how good he is on the mic etc. Yes or no and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I think this might be worthy of a thread. With Bryan Alvarez saying how the WWE consider him as an Upper-Midcarder at best, do you think in your heart and soul that the WWE will make him their world champion at some point? Regardless of how good he wrestles, ho good he is on the mic etc. Yes or no and why?

Who ?

ricero wrote: »
    Who ?
    Sh*t! Just edited it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think the next year or so is about to get very busy on the main roster , You're gonna have the main part timers Taker, HHH, Lesnar, Sting, Rock, Then you have Cena who's on his own for me , Then you have the next set of guys Rollins, Ambrose, Reigns, Wyatt, Sheamus ,Orton and then you have the next wave trying to break in there Owens, Cesaro ,Rusev, Ryback, Miz, Big show(ugh), Kane (ugh) Ziggler , Barrett and then the rest

Add to that Finn Balor, Itami, Joe and possibly one or two others that will rise up the ranks either from nxt or the main roster I'm really not sure Owens will get to the top of the mountain , I've a feeling this could be an era like years ago where likes of Perfect, Razor , Piper and countless other massivley talented stars never won the main title but still had great careers

I think the next year or so is about to get very busy on the main roster , You're gonna have the main part timers Taker, HHH, Lesnar, Sting, Rock, Then you have Cena who's on his own for me , Then you have the next set of guys Rollins, Ambrose, Reigns, Wyatt, Sheamus ,Orton and then you have the next wave trying to break in there Owens, Cesaro ,Rusev, Ryback, Miz, Big show(ugh), Kane (ugh) Ziggler , Barrett and then the rest
    I was under the illusion that Rock would call it a day after WrestleMania but thinking about it now, I'm sure he wouldn't mind having a few more matches. Roman Reigns vs. The Rock maybe at some point?

• Advertisement

Kind of frustrated that 50 year Jushin Thunder Liger will probably beat 27 year old Tyler Breeze at NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn. I realise the guy is a legend but I don't know what, if any positive effect it will have on the career of Tyler. On the other side of the coin, it'll be the WWE debut of an international superstar and he'll get a great reception. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Kind of frustrated that 50 year Jushin Thunder Liger will probably beat 27 year old Tyler Breeze at NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn. I realise the guy is a legend but I don't know what, if any positive effect it will have on the career of Tyler. On the other side of the coin, it'll be the WWE debut of an international superstar and he'll get a great reception. Thoughts?

I'm more excited if this working relationship with NJPW continues in the future. Imagine if we get a crossover supercard on the network! A man can dream...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its only NXT. Losing won't impact negatively on Tyler's career long term at all.

For a wrestler based in the US its a great opportunity to work with an all tiem great on front of a good crowd. I don't see anything bad there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I'd also say that given the Liger gimmick it makes his age irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Can't really see what Breeze has to gain from winning anyway. At this point he's just treading water. Either pull the trigger on him or let him go make a name for himself elsewhere. And I say that as a huge Breeze fan but how many more times can a new guy come through NXT and make the main roster ahead of him. He's been in development for 5 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'd let him go personally. I like him but I don't think he'll ever do anything more than the likes of Adam Rose and Bo Dallas are currently doing even if he did get called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I like Tyler too, and see a lot of a young Shawn Michaels in him. But, there's something missing. I can't put my finger on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I like Tyler too, and see a lot of a young Shawn Michaels in him. But, there's something missing. I can't put my finger on it.

Diesel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gerrybbadd wrote: »

He's still someone kind of playing a wrestler and he isn't visually a head turner when he's in the ring. I don't think may casual fans stop and watch him when they are flicking through the channels.

Dalton Castle in ROH has his presentation and how he carries himself down far better.

• Advertisement

Roman Reigns beat Rusev on Smackdown. Cena, Cesaro and Reigns are the only three to beat him aren't they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement