Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Why does it bother you??
    Because she's a heel who's hugging it out with two babyfaces that she'll be facing in 24 hours time. We've been told that they hate each other but how am I supposed to believe that when they're doing stuff like that!
    It wasn't a good idea in 1996 and it's still not a good idea in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Because she's a heel who's hugging it out with two babyfaces that she'll be facing in 24 hours time. We've been told that they hate each other but how am I supposed to believe that when they're doing stuff like that!
    It wasn't a good idea in 1996 and it's still not a good idea in 2015.

They've been playing up to the "four horsewomen" thing for a while and it is likely the last appearance for the four on NXT television for the moment.

I don't recall Sasha saying she hated Charlotte or Becky, if anything she's bigged them up but said she's with Tamina and Naomi because they're the "baddest" nothing to do with hatred, just forming the "strongest" alliance on the main roster.

I personally liked it and think it was a good idea and send off

They've been playing up to the "four horsewomen" thing for a while and it is likely the last appearance for the four on NXT television for the moment.

I don't recall Sasha saying she hated Charlotte or Becky, if anything she's bigged them up but said she's with Tamina and Naomi because they're the "baddest" nothing to do with hatred, just forming the "strongest" alliance on the main roster.

I personally liked it and think it was a good idea and send off
    Did you like this too?
    msg_original_crop_340x2343.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Did you like this too?

I'm neither for or against that moment. I do acknowledge it was very taboo at the time but that was '96. The internet wrestling community was tiny/non existent and that was a house show. News wouldn't have spread that much had that one lad not filmed it.

It's 2015, the Internet is a big part of the show. The four girls have been highly publicised as mates and a crew. They referenced it in the hype video for the match. Kayfabe is dead at this point. There's no going back. Sasha may be heel but at no point if they allude to her hating any of the girls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Kayfabe is dead.

It's been dead for a long, long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,617 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With Takeover being in New York and with HHH there and other members The Kliq sitting front row maybe it was some sort of inside joke between them on the curtain call.

I don't care if you think Kayfabe is dead, how is someone supposed to take the match seriously and believe that they're enemies when 24 hours previous they were hugging it out and throwing up the four horsemen hand sign acting like great friends? I don't care if they started this "Revolution" that doesn't mean they're allowed to break the fourth wall.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't care if you think Kayfabe is dead, how is someone supposed to take the match seriously and believe that they're enemies when 24 hours previous they were hugging it out and throwing up the four horsemen hand sign acting like great friends? I don't care if they started this "Revolution" that doesn't mean they're allowed to break the fourth wall.

You see opponents hug, bow, shake hands and raise each other's hands after fights in the UFC too. It's about respect.

They don't do it before a fight though! I hope JR and Jim Cornette talk about it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,914 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Because they are ?

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Because they are ?
    But they're fighting the following night!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

To be fair to Gh0st it's not rocket science what he's suggesting.

Mercedes Kaestner-Varnado is friends with Ashley Fliehr and Rebecca Quinn.

Sasha Banks is not friends with Charlotte and Becky Lynch. It shouldn't be a big ask to keep them separate, however irrelevant kayfabe has become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Dont think they ever said they are enemies. They are battling to prove who is the best womens wrestler in the world. Friends fight, it happens all the time. Did you cry when HHH and HBK reformed DX after kicking 700 shades of sh*t out of each other for the previous 4 or 5 years?

Your whole arguement is everything thats wrong with modern wrestling fans. You wanna be in the know ( just look at your posts re Wade Barrett elsewhere ) and know all the backstage goings on, who likes who, whos burying who, how many divas has Batista shagged etc.... and you want WWE to not treat you like an idiot and have everything be try to be "real" but show that you understand its a show and you are watching to be entertained. And then when WWE acknowledge that 99% of the NXT fans know that Charlotte, Sasha, Becky and Bayley are friends and the " 4 Horsewomen" you throw your toys out of the pram.

At the end of the day its a tv show where these world class athletes are playing characters. Yes most of the time the character they play is an amped up version of themselves but its still a character. If that "Curtain Call" to acknowledge the fans that made them genuinely annoyed you then I dunno what joy you can get from watching wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

But they're fighting the following night!

If they hadnt hugged would you have been unaware that they didnt really hate each other?

Why is kayfabe important to you in an age where everyone knows its a work.

Its no different to actors coming out to bow together at the end of a play (some of them no-selling wounds/deaths suffered earlier in the night)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

As Vince put it in his attitude era initiation promo it's no longer a good guy v bad guy dynamic, that was near twenty years ago, and it can be insulting. I'm not saying every one should be a tweeners but a clear cut face and heel dynamic doesn't really work for all characters.

In today's shows movies etc there is an in between , look at breaking bad Walt wasn't always a clear cut bad guy as even though he was an evil **** we know why he was and still showed signs of vulnerability so we show empathy. Even Superman is no longer a clear cut baby face! Whereas in the 80's he was just like Rocky and Hogan and Drago and shieky baby where clear cut heels.

People can be fight without hating each other as it's a sport also, sure storylines play a huge part but it shouldn't be just your a bad guy so I'm gonna beat you because you are a bad guy and sometimes I'm gonna team with other good guys to fight you and your bad guy friends even though we were all on each other's teams throughout the years. That's insulting I feel. Orton and Cena can now team without anyone batting an eyelid even though they had a massive rivalry years ago. Friends sharing an embrace on TV before they have to fight the next night isn't insulting, they should of acknowledging it, sayin yes they are friends but each one still wants to get ahead of each other in this business that's why they are fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

In fairness I get AG's point, my first reaction was "feck sake that doesn't fit Sasha's character at all" before moving on to it just being a nice moment for the 4 of them as people. I still would have liked if after they had their embrace Sasha did something to revert back into character & disrespect the other 3.

It takes great storytelling to make fans forget about kayfabe; the entire NXT Women's division has done this successfully over the past 2 years & just when it was reaching it's conclusion they completely broke kayfabe. So it's a fair complaint imo though not one worth getting worked up about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

It's a fair point that it was out of character but it's not worth more than an offhand mention, the reasons for it were obvious and the crowd were into it so who really cares at the end of the day.

Reeks of complaining for the sake of complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,617 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

These things are so well produced that if the WWE didn't want us the fan to see that curtain call they would have gone to vignette etc.

The 4 involved are hardly going to go off script and put there jobs at risk after getting the call up to the main event.

So for me it was planned and produced and signed off by HHH so if people have an issue with it the blame is on HHH not the wrestlers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

These things are so well produced that if the WWE didn't want us the fan to see that curtain call they would have gone to vignette etc.

The 4 involved are hardly going to go off script and put there jobs at risk are getting the call up to the main event.

So for me it was planned and produced and signed off by HHH so if people have an issue with it the blame is on HHH not the wrestlers.

There was a production assistant on the ringside floor telling them to wait until the video replays of the match were played before they did their embrace.

I saw one picture of the production assistant gesturing to Crews to remember smile nice and wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I would have thought that there's a production assistant at all televised events keeping an eye from ringside on what's going on in the ring? Maybe that's an obvious assumption to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

LeeJM wrote: »
    Dont think they ever said they are enemies. They are battling to prove who is the best womens wrestler in the world. Friends fight, it happens all the time. Did you cry when HHH and HBK reformed DX after kicking 700 shades of sh*t out of each other for the previous 4 or 5 years?

Your whole arguement is everything thats wrong with modern wrestling fans. You wanna be in the know ( just look at your posts re Wade Barrett elsewhere ) and know all the backstage goings on, who likes who, whos burying who, how many divas has Batista shagged etc.... and you want WWE to not treat you like an idiot and have everything be try to be "real" but show that you understand its a show and you are watching to be entertained. And then when WWE acknowledge that 99% of the NXT fans know that Charlotte, Sasha, Becky and Bayley are friends and the " 4 Horsewomen" you throw your toys out of the pram.

At the end of the day its a tv show where these world class athletes are playing characters. Yes most of the time the character they play is an amped up version of themselves but its still a character. If that "Curtain Call" to acknowledge the fans that made them genuinely annoyed you then I dunno what joy you can get from watching wrestling.

Lads you're arguing about a company where a 52 year old comedian decided a title unification match at their second biggest show of the year. There's a limit to how seriously you can take anything they do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I would have thought that there's a production assistant at all televised events keeping an eye from ringside on what's going on in the ring? Maybe that's an obvious assumption to make.

NXT Specials are much more micro managed. Hand holding essentially. One thing/person you should look out for is the referees in NXT. Especially Drake Wuertz (@WWEDrakeWuertz) he runs around like a blue arsed fly directing traffic.

Drake has a nightmare with Dana Brooke on tonight's episode of NXT. You will see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'll look forward to that. There seems to be one referee in particular that always seems to be notifying the wrestlers' of positions and communicating with them as things are happening. I always thought that NXT was a lot less micro managed than Monday Night Raw.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

rovert wrote: »
    There was a production assistant on the ringside floor telling them to wait until the video replays of the match were played before they did their embrace.

I saw one picture of the production assistant gesturing to Crews to remember smile nice and wide.

I remember when Finn debuted there was someone going mad telling Hideo to get back up on the turnbuckle too cause he wasn't celebrating/posing for long enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

On the Sasha thing, I guess you have to realise that NXT is marketed towards a very different crowd than Raw, or at least to a very specific demographic. Given it's a smark-heavy crowd, I would imagine the overwhelming majority know the 4 are good friends. I actually liked that, after a fantastic match, they broke character to basically acknowledge it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The whole show was booked to provide fans with what they wanted to see. The four ladies showing respect was part of that. Three of them are moving on so it was a thank you to each other, to the fans, from the fans. A new champion was crowned so it was normal to see appreciation for the champ as is often done in NXT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Realpaul

Sirsok wrote: »
    Think this has been WWEs best year in a long long time , consistently putting on good to great shows, I must say I generally only watch the ppvs though, and read up results for raw, but I have really really enjoyed the ppvs.

After the debacle that was the rumble I was seriously doubting the year ahead and only NXT was keeping me interested. But the influx of NXT stars an their style to the roster has been a breathe of fresh air. Especially Owens and Rollins.

If you look at most of the cards nowadays try are littered with ex NXT guys with the exception of the odd partimer match. Really good to see and makes me hopefull for guys like Zayn, Balor, Itami etc when they get brought up.

Who can thy then pluck from the indies to carry the brand?

2013 was much better just for the fact EVERY week there was at least one great match on Raw,Smackdown or the glory days of Main Event involving the Shield or Bryan or Cesaro or another half dozen people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

New day are great!
    I have always been a fan of big E I knew Xavier was a good talker but they've even given Kofi a personality which I thought was impossible..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Kofi REALLY should have won mitb imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

So now WWE has two three man stables again, the Wyatt family and New Day. If they were to feud, who would be the face and heel stable?

I reckon New Day would be the faces because they've gotten really popular, and I think they will become fan favorites Setting up for a face turn, and a feud with the Wyatts who would be the heels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement