Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I think it is going to be great for what it is. Anything is going to be an improvement on Paige.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm really looking forward to E&C on that Austin podcast. Very funny guys from the attitude days and after. And as all three were in the wwf at the same time hopefully so good road stories. Hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be fair i'd rather sit and watch paige play with her hair for an hour than listen to edge talk about his tv career

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Omackeral wrote: »
    I love it. So fresh and gives the up and comer some exposure. Plus the placid New York crowd will give him lots of encouragement.

I knew you would... Being the Biggest Big Show mark in the world. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It will be the upset of the century if the Next Big Thing can beat the World's Largest Athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to E&C on that Austin podcast. Very funny guys from the attitude days and after. And as all three were in the wwf at the same time hopefully so good road stories. Hopefully anyway.

Christian was involved in the origins of the What? gimmick so there might be a few laughs as I think the three of them got along well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think Paul Heyman will turn on Brock to side with Show after telling him repeatedly that he can't beat the Big Show

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

gerrybbadd wrote: »

His Big Show rant is still my favourite post ever on here :pac:

I secretly always root for The Big Show in most of his matches and think of Omackeral watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    His Big Show rant is still my favourite post ever on here :pac:

Don't forget me when the Boards version of the Slammys rolls around for the prestigious Rant of the Year Award.

• Advertisement

We knew that you didn't mean it though, and you are probably going to attend his induction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I love how we (the IWC) don't take sh*t. Like there's enough of us to demand better, to hold WWE and it's superstars to a higher standard. There's a benchmark, however low, that you have to be above. Like Eva Marie - not good enough by a mile on the mic, or in the ring, how dare you push her like the new face of the women. I love that we're not just some small sector that's forgotten, we're the vocal majority when needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

I'm in 2 minds about the fans having so much sway in terms of what they can demand. Take these recent examples.

Fans want to get behind Daniel Bryan and are so vocal and passionate about his push that they change the main event of Mania despite WWE's reservations.

But it means absolutely nothing when the fans flip flop or make a tw*t of themselves by being a nuisance. Take the recent Divas Revolution for example. Fans demanded a change in the way the WWE utilises its Divas. WWE starts giving the divas longer more competitive matches and the fans boo them and chant insulting comments. So now what? They can't go back to having 2 minute matches but the fans don't accept a lengthy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

WWE starts giving the divas longer more competitive matches and the fans boo them and chant insulting comments. So now what? They can't go back to having 2 minute matches but the fans don't accept a lengthy one.

Did you watch summerslam and the post show raw? That was a divas match, fans wasn't women's wrestling. There is a major difference between the women's matches on NXT and the Divas matches on Raw/Smackdown. Fans were right to boo but the insults were out of line. The matches were very bad espically when we know that Paige, Becky, Charlotte and Sasha are capable of so much more but the women wrestlers are being dragged down by the Divas Alicia, bellas, Tamina and Naomi

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Omackeral wrote: »
    I love it. So fresh and gives the up and comer some exposure. Plus the placid New York crowd will give him lots of encouragement.
    I'd rather see Lesnar batter the sh*te out of Show again over burying the hell out of someone that might actually have a future.

Absolutely - it was in the same arena - same Brooklyn crowd, who flipped their sh*t cheering Sasha and Bayley, you can't blame 'em for not swallowing that garbage presented on RAW! That Miz TV segment really smashed the crowd - Did the writers ever see any of PCB before? They acted like jaded cocky heels? WHAAAAAT!!
    It's thought that football managers can get +/- 10% performance out of players, but in wrestling it's like +/- 70%.

I think maybe it's something that Charlotte has inherited from watching her father and probably modelling herself after the way that he always did things, but she comes across as a natural heel. Couple that with the way Paige had been shaping up at the time of the Miz T.V segment and they came across more like antagonists rather than the babyfaces in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I think maybe it's something that Charlotte has inherited from watching her father and probably modelling herself after the way that he always did things, but she comes across as a natural heel. Couple that with the way Paige had been shaping up at the time of the Miz T.V segment and they came across more like antagonists rather than the babyfaces in this.

I personally think the whole Miz TV segment was meant to be PCB sewing the seeds of a possible split.... it was just written and executed awfully

I think all of this has highlighted what a completely different animal NXT is to the other shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

It proves that Vince McMahon is one of the least creative people in wrestling ever. For every good thing he's done he probably does 10 awful things that make you ashamed to like wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I personally think the whole Miz TV segment was meant to be PCB sewing the seeds of a possible split.... it was just written and executed awfully

Apparently there was supposed to be a section of the segment where the three of them argued about who was going to get the title shot, but whether because they messed it up themselves or there was a late re think it never got to that point.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/news-on-wwe-diva-promo-that-was-botched-on-raw.php

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

I think all of this has highlighted what a completely different animal NXT is to the other shows.

Until we get Eva Marie as NXT Women's Champion. Jesus wept...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It proves that Vince McMahon is one of the least creative people in wrestling ever. For every good thing he's done he probably does 10 awful things that make you ashamed to like wrestling.

Ridiculous statement, no offence. Every 'alternative' to WWE borrows heavily from the playbook Vince wrote. If someone were to argue that he's out of touch on certain subjects, I'd listen, but to say that he's not creative or when people suggests he lacks knowledge or understanding of the wrestling business it's factually untrue, put simply.

A difficult point to argue considering the conversation is the RAW Divas Revolution and pushing Eva Marie, in spite of the dirth of women's talent available and being finely showcased in his company, outside his grasp on NXT. He's been practically coasting on Orton/Cena since 2004.

leggo wrote: »
    Ridiculous statement, no offence. Every 'alternative' to WWE borrows heavily from the playbook Vince wrote. If someone were to argue that he's out of touch on certain subjects, I'd listen, but to say that he's not creative or when people suggests he lacks knowledge or understanding of the wrestling business it's factually untrue, put simply.

I'd consider your statement rubbish too, no offence.

Who has borrowed from him and been successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

WWE's stock is valued at somewhere over a billion dollars so yeah Vince has that to his name but if you bracket the money stuff and critically assess WWE and Vince say as you would any other entertainment property or any other wrestling show ie. based on the creative, they are really lacking.

There's the aforementioned Divas revolution fiasco, they have not created a star to replace John Cena, they give up on pushing guys at the drop of a hat, the Roman push from Royal Rumble to Wrestlemania failed, they thought Batista vs Randy Orton would be a good Wrestlemania main event last year, they're still stuck in the 80's mentality of "wow this guy looks great" hence why Reigns push happened and likely why Big Show is working the Lesnar match at the Madison Square Garden show - TV crowds are literally telling him to retire.

Vince is a marketing and business genius. He has some of the best produced live television in the world. It seems to me that all of his success came with quality people around him, hiring most of the stars he's ever had. As they've start to twindle and fall off the quality of most of his shows is average at best.

He is so ashamed of being involved in wrestling he has created a fantasy world where two guys wrestling each other is now 'entertainment'.

An incredibly interesting, driven and charismatic man and a self made billionaire but a creative wrestling genius I don't think so. Deranged definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Is Vince really a business genius though? I mean as a wrestling promoter he is a genius, but any other business Vince venture he has been involved with hasn't gone the way it's planned. Namely his bodybuilding federation, XFL, WWF New York/The World, even his movie production company is terrible although it's still around it's not exactly something to be praised either.

Perhaps a promotional genius rather business. Didn't he try to promote a boxing event at one point? I think I read about it a while ago.

I think his personality was a perfect fit for the low brow trash tv of the Attitude Era - which was great but he wouldn't have done it without Austin, Rock, DX etc.

He hasnt really done anything spectacular without brilliantly charismatic people like the above, Hogan, Warrior, Lesnar, Angle, Punk.

he hasn't made anybody average great. His own vision for wrestling is 95% miss.

I'm a big fan of the man but he's not a creative genius by any stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I can't remember a time when Sheamus and Orton didn't face off every week. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement