Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Speaking of belts, I always wondered why the intercontinental title is called that since doesn't the word technically mean champion of the continents, which would be the world. Unless the World heavyweight title is also fought for in the oceans. Aquaman vs Seth Rollins

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Speaking of belts, I always wondered why the intercontinental title is called that since doesn't the word technically mean champion of the continents, which would be the world. Unless the World heavyweight title is also fought for in the oceans. Aquaman vs Seth Rollins

It was actually north and south America it originally referred to and Patterson was said to have unifies both continents championships when he won it (having been North American champion not world champion prior to winning it).

iirc it was decided in a tournament in Rio though for the life of me I couldn't tell you off hand who he beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Now that the WWE has a number of European wrestlers I'd love to see the return of the European belt.

WWE_European_Championship.jpg

Davey Boy & Regal are the only Europeans to hold the belt.

Don't see why they should bring it back when they have enough titles right now. WWE World Heavyweight Championship, Intercontinental Championship, United States Championship, WWE Tag Team Championships, and the Diva's Championship. That's all they need, hell I would even advise getting rid of the US title and put more emphasis on the I.C championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rickydreamboat

It was actually north and south America it originally referred to and Patterson was said to have unifies both continents championships when he won it (having been North American champion not world champion prior to winning it).

iirc it was decided in a tournament in Rio though for the life of me I couldn't tell you off hand who he beat.[/quote[

That tournament actually never took place BH. The title was basically renamed and awarded to him behind the scenes, as I believe another organisation had a North American title so this was seen as a 'one-up'. Rio was chosen as the setting as it's in South America, is exotic and was unlikely that it could be questioned. The idea that it was won in a gruelling tournament gave it instant credibility. I think it's actually become a running inside joke at this stage.

Got to love wrestling for the lies and the fact that usually behind the scenes stories trump what we see on screen.

And to weigh in, yes I agree the US title should be dumped, but that's the least of the problems with the current product.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,918 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

iirc it was decided in a tournament in Rio though for the life of me I couldn't tell you off hand who he beat.

The tournament never happened and their wasn't a South American champion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 rickydreamboat

Here's a random rasslin thought.... Vince apparently hates the idea of WWE being a pro wrestling show and thinks he's an entertainment program, with Raw being a weekly episodic, and their competitors not based in wrestling but rather the wider entertainment spectrum. With the quality of TV writing these days this is laughable isn't it? If major shows like Walking Dead or basically any story-based episodic TV show peddled the kind of intelligence insulting, uneven writing displayed by WWE it would be whipped straight off of prime time TV. Personally speaking I don't watch Raw anymore, but as a fan of over 20 years it's hard to believe how bad the overall product has become, NXT aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yeah. The product is laughable at times. But I think a lot of fans of 20+ years such as many of us here overlook that fact for those moments every once in a while where it just feels real briefly and we can get wrapped up in it all over again as though we were children seeing it for the first time. Maybe that isn't the way other people feel here but that's what keeps me going with WWE today. Every so often there'll be a moment that's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

That tournament actually never took place BH. The title was basically renamed and awarded to him behind the scenes, as I believe another organisation had a North American title so this was seen as a 'one-up'. Rio was chosen as the setting as it's in South America, is exotic and was unlikely that it could be questioned. The idea that it was won in a gruelling tournament gave it instant credibility. I think it's actually become a running inside joke at this stage.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The tournament never happened and their wasn't a South American champion.
    20130329_640var_Infographic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's incredible kayfabe for a tournament that never happened for a midcard title. I love it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Now that the WWE has a number of European wrestlers I'd love to see the return of the European belt.

WWE_European_Championship.jpg

Davey Boy & Regal are the only Europeans to hold the belt.

Always found it funny that more Europeans won the US title than the Euro one.

• Advertisement

Have Rob Van Dam come out on Monday Night Raw with it. Wasn't he the last holder of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Have Rob Van Dam come out on Monday Night Raw with it. Wasn't he the last holder of it?

I dont think I could take another half assed RVD run.

These part timer runs are short term gain and long term the part timer guys lose the ability to get people over to the same degree.

Also theres just the right amount of titles around these days anyway, so I dont see the need or desire to add another one.

Though I did like Al Snows Euro Title Run....

tumblr_mj0t77GtoJ1rg89a6o3_1280.jpg

My favourites were probably Davy Boy & Owen. Their tournament final match was great. It went through phases of being taken seriously, I believe. It was dumb when Shawn Michaels just gave it to Triple H.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

D'Lo was great as the European Champ. He used to hail from a different European city each week.

Yeah I loved that, Lisbon, Oslo, London, anywhere he saw fit. Is Tyler Breeze doing that as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

All this talk of the European title makes me think back to the tournament I ran here last year. Was great doing those and getting opinions on former champs etc. Have a read if you fancy.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057289713

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yeah I loved that, Lisbon, Oslo, London, anywhere he saw fit. Is Tyler Breeze doing that as well?

He's doing something similar yes. He's hailing from his seasonal residence as he's a world famous model that jets around everywhere. My favorite was probably Chris Candido being introduced by Tammy Sytch as being from ''Spring Lake, New Jersey...or anywhere he damn well pleases''.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭briany

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    D'Lo was great as the European Champ. He used to hail from a different European city each week.

Yeah, and Lawler would always be selling it.

"I heard he's bought a villa there. D'Lo's very high up in Milan's elite social circles, JR!"

That was around the same time that D'Lo wore the chest protector as well. Probably his most entertaining run in WWE, and he made the EC belt more than a mere mid-card trinket when he wore it, unlike HHH.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

What was up with that 1 month D'Lo return a few years back? 2007/2008 ish. Random and bizarre

Omackeral wrote: »
    He's doing something similar yes. He's hailing from his seasonal residence as he's a world famous model that jets around everywhere. My favorite was probably Chris Candido being introduced by Tammy Sytch as being from ''Spring Lake, New Jersey...or anywhere he damn well pleases''.
    Sunny in the mid 1990s could have said anything and it would've been my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Was reading the last page thinking, "Someone needs to show D'Lo Brown some love here..." Brilliant. He's the GECCOAT (Greatest Euro-Continental Champion Of All-Time).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Good piece on Voices about Cesaro at the minute, http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/09/14/stop-trying-to-make-cesaro-happen/

Its an interesting look on why hes not pushed to the moon as some may think he should.

I agree he hasnt the presence on the mic and that usually can hinder most pushes in Vinces eyes.

I didn't find it that interesting as it seemed more if a ramble than a thought out piece.

I would also disagree with the idea that he is where he should be. Bumped up ratings here and there don't make WWE huge money, guys who connect with the actual paying audience do. Yes a Cena or Austin make great money for them but so did poor talkers like Bryan or Bret, non or gimmick talkers like Brock and Taker.

The reason people complain about Cesaro's spot is he got himself over with the crowd in his matches by making himself look a star, unique in many ways, aspirational, super hero like but WWE stripped him of all that just because they wanted a typical European heel.

This thing about Cesaro being sub-par on the microphone that I've seen in different places has never made that much sense to me. I find him quite funny whenever he cuts a promo, and I always think that he holds his own whenever he goes head to head with someone verbally. I definitely think Cesaro has just been branded with some weird mark backstage that he just can't seem to shake off. He's definitely good enough overall to have had a feud with Seth Rollins at this stage I think. They could have taken a chance on him ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I wonder if TNA went under would WWE bid for their tape library. Would be amazing to see that on the network someday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Sirsok wrote: »
    I wonder if TNA went under would WWE bid for their tape library. Would be amazing to see that on the network someday!

some of the stuff from the first 6 years is amazing

Angle v Joe when Angle first came was unreal, all 3 matches

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sting's theme music sucks. It's so generic and feels like something a jobber would walk out to. Why not use his old WCW theme. Don't they have the rights to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Spoiler for Night of Champions:
    For a brief period tonight, before Cena bet Rollins, every title in the WWE was held by a former NXT Champion

WWEWHC/US: Seth Rollins
    IC: Kevin Owens
    Divas: Charlotte
    Tag Team: Big E

The future is now

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If they have razzie awards for tv, I think Nikki would win after her performance on Smackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Sting's theme music sucks. It's so generic and feels like something a jobber would walk out to. Why not use his old WCW theme. Don't they have the rights to it?

It's on the WCW Spotify account, which I believe is Jimmy Hart's material. They used it for the WWE 2K15 game advert.

Personally, the theme has grown on me ever since it was first heard.

• Advertisement

I think the theme he's been using in WWE really suits the character and seems like something I'd actually listen to. I don't understand why they changed in the first place though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement