Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I was watching Royal Rumble 1999, and then I think it was Cole said his name differently to how I'd usually heard it and I realised that's what they were aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I didn't realise until around 2000 when I was watching a movie called The Pallbearer and I said to my Dad that sounds like Paul Bearer, and he was like yes, that's the whole point of his wrestling name.

What a Eureka moment that was! I thought it was a stroke of genius of a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Charisteas wrote: »
    I didn't realise until around 2000 when I was watching a movie called The Pallbearer and I said to my Dad that sounds like Paul Bearer, and he was like yes, that's the whole point of his wrestling name.

What a Eureka moment that was! I thought it was a stroke of genius of a name.

Ok shut up, seriously... that's how I found out! Bless you David Schimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ok shut up, seriously... that's how I found out! Bless you David Schimmer

That movie was nothing except a way to use Ross Gellar to reveal to the world what a Paul Bearer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

David Schwimmer starring in a movie about the Undertaker's manager.

But on a similar note, and going OT for a bit, I only realised recently what the lyrics to the Flintstones "Some day, maybe Fred will win the fight And that cat will stay out for the night" meant so try not to feel so bad about Paul Bearer (which only dawned on me a couple years ago)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CastorTroy wrote: »
    David Schwimmer starring in a movie about the Undertaker's manager.

But on a similar note, and going OT for a bit, I only realised recently what the lyrics to the Flintstones "Some day, maybe Fred will win the fight And that cat will stay out for the night" meant so try not to feel so bad about Paul Bearer (which only dawned on me a couple years ago)

Hmmm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flintstones#WWE_Film

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So I'm completely on topic. Woohoo!

Ahem... Of course I knew that

Vince and his hair brained schemes!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Thinking about WWE's depressing slump since SummerSlam... It doesn't matter how bad the show is, as long as people don't lose touch with what's happening; ie remain a fan, able to be coaxed back in for the big events. Week to week, WWE get paid the same from USA Network whether RAW gets a 2.0 or a 10.0. General trends only matter, when negotiating TV deals or advertisement deals, which is over the long term.

What I'm saying is, as long as you're still keeping tabs on WWE, come Royal Rumble and WWE start booking properly, it doesn't really matter how terrible the previous third of the year has been.

Remember when Bryan immediately lost the WWE title at SummerSlam, people kept saying, just wait for the payoff, they'll give us the payoff later? It never came, and Bryan's now in the tag division battling Wyatt's jobbers. Waiting for things to pan out, to get better...it just doesn't. It just mercifully ends! Like Big Show's lawsuit angle! Does anything go poorly but swing around to be much better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I've had fcuk all interest since October. I really think this Authority storyline had all the makings of a modern day corporation and lo and behold they've f###ed it up. I read the results and keep up with what's going on. I'll probably do as Jay said and come back in around the Rimble to see how Mania will pan out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Wyatts are not jobbers.

But yeah we had no pay off yet. I still think the wyatts going after Bryan is linked to the original storyline that they came up with when Cena was injured.

I like the Wyatts but I get the feeling that the WWE don't know where they are going with them. To be honest I don't think WWE ever have an idea of where they are going lately with an angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

WWE always seems to have this slump every year. After Night of Champions is usually when the product takes a nosedive - Hell In A Cell is normally the worst PPV of the year. TLC tends to be a pick-me-up and going into the Rumble, WWE really steps things up

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Wyatts are not jobbers.

I should clear that up. Rowan & Harper are in tag matches, and tag matches with Bray, and WWE are protecting Bray. They're the guys who are always going to lose until the big payoff. So they're his jobbers, they do the job so he doesn't have to.

Just seen the ad for TLC and it's on Sky Sports this year :)

Just seen the ad for TLC and it's on Sky Sports this year :)

I think it normally is on sky sports rather than box office

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Nope, box office most years. Get it as a Birthday present to myself most years! :D

Oh right just remembered seeing last years show so thought it must have been on sky sports

I think HIAC was usually on sky sports and TLC on BO but this year Sky have switched the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I work in a well known pub/restaurant in Dublin and its across the road from a Toymaster and Smyths, but one random day a few weeks ago these 3 people came in, an old lady (Probably 50 or so). what looked like her daughter (30 maybe) and then probably her son (10 or there abouts) anyway regular order brought the food up but I noticed the kid had wrestling figures that he had obviously just got from the toyshops so I put the food on the table then started talking to kid I was like "Oh cool, who have you got I can see The Shield (He had Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins) and JBL... Whos gonna win" and the kid got excited and was like "The Shield are the best" and I went "Yeah they will definitly win who's your favourite wrestler?" and he goes "John Cena" and I said "Ah he is cool my favourite is Cody Rhodes" and the kid was loving it this grown up talking to him about the wrestling.

Anyways I just said go eat your food good man and kind of smiled at the mother and she goes "Your too old to be knowing all that" I just walked off but I could see the smile drop off the kids face like being told that he is a child and he likes child things or something thought it was terrible the kid was chuffed when we were talking about wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

And then she probably went back to discussing Alfie Moon walking out of the wedding on Eastenders as if its real life, calling him a b*stard and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I work in a well known pub/restaurant in Dublin and its across the road from a Toymaster and Smyths, but one random day a few weeks ago these 3 people came in, an old lady (Probably 50 or so). what looked like her daughter (30 maybe) and then probably her son (10 or there abouts) anyway regular order brought the food up but I noticed the kid had wrestling figures that he had obviously just got from the toyshops so I put the food on the table then started talking to kid I was like "Oh cool, who have you got I can see The Shield (He had Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins) and JBL... Whos gonna win" and the kid got excited and was like "The Shield are the best" and I went "Yeah they will definitly win who's your favourite wrestler?" and he goes "John Cena" and I said "Ah he is cool my favourite is Cody Rhodes" and the kid was loving it this grown up talking to him about the wrestling.

Anyways I just said go eat your food good man and kind of smiled at the mother and she goes "Your too old to be knowing all that" I just walked off but I could see the smile drop off the kids face like being told that he is a child and he likes child things or something thought it was terrible the kid was chuffed when we were talking about wrestling.
    On the bright side though maybe one day that kid will come on here and you'll be the reason he stuck with wrestling for as long as he did! You made a kid smile, that's all that really matters. Some people are very ignorant!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Wyatts are not jobbers.

Pretty sure they lost every match in the Bryan/Punk "feud". Hard to call them anything other than jobbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Pretty sure they lost every match in the Bryan/Punk "feud". Hard to call them anything other than jobbers.

They are not jobbers, I find that term so misused.

LOTD wrote: »
    They are not jobbers, I find that term so misused.

"perennial losers" then. Yes, Jobbers don't really exist in modem wrestling, not of the level of Hulkamania Era or journeymen of the New Gen Era. They're modern day jobbers, just fodder for those with a brighter future. Splitting hairs really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

jaykhunter wrote: »
    "perennial losers" then. Yes, Jobbers don't really exist in modem wrestling, not of the level of Hulkamania Era or journeymen of the New Gen Era.

True but Norv Fernum And Dewey Barnes still fly the flag.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    "They're modern day jobbers, just fodder for those with a brighter future. Splitting hairs really.

Going 50/50 or better against two established acts isn't jobbing. They are being elevated by working with Punk and Bryan.

rovert wrote: »
    Going 50/50 or better against two established acts isn't jobbing. They are being elevated by working with Punk and Bryan.

How many matches have they won against them? It's far from 50/50. Have they even won once?

They are not being elevated, Punk and Bryan are being dragged down to their lower level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    How many matches have they won against them? It's far from 50/50. Have they even won once?

They are not being elevated, Punk and Bryan are being dragged down to their lower level.

Punk and Bryan are not being dragged down, regardless of if you like The Wyatts the WWE are going the right way in doing it.

Also in the field of Sports Entertainment the win/loss ratio is passé:P. It either gets over or it doesn't.

• Advertisement

LOTD wrote: »
    Punk and Bryan are not being dragged down, regardless of if you like The Wyatts the WWE are going the right way in doing it.

Also in the field of Sports Entertainment the win/loss ratio is passé:P. It either gets over or it doesn't.

Bryan was main eventing PPV's, fighting for the top title and being the main babyface in the main storyline. Punk was fighting the best manager in WWE's recent history, in the second biggest storyline.

The Wyatts were facing the likes of Kofi Kingston just because.

Bryan is now a million miles away from the main event and Punk isnt in much better condition. Thats all due to the Wyatt feud. They have been dragged way down the ladder by being lumped with them.

If you lose every time, you are a jobber. Thats what a jobber does. He/they lose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement