Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

Rikishi will always be a heel to me after he ignored the tag team responsible for putting him in the HoF. Not only ignored them but appropriated their gimmick as his in his HoF walk-on. Too Cool were already over before Rikishi joined them as well, so it wasn't a mutual success.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

briany wrote: »
    Rikishi will always be a heel to me after he ignored the tag team responsible for putting him in the HoF. Not only ignored them but appropriated their gimmick as his in his HoF walk-on. Too Cool were already over before Rikishi joined them as well, so it wasn't a mutual success.

There could be a lot there we don't know about, that's what I think whenever there's an obvious snub like that. And we know Brian Christopher has a history of behavioural issues too. What if it came out one day that he slept with Rikishi's wife or something like that? Truth is we don't have a clue and wouldn't unless one of them talked. Just because the Too Cool lads put out some bitter tweets doesn't mean it's open and shut that he just ignored them. You can't put any weight in anything most wrestlers say, they're liars by default sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Scotty always seems a stand-up bloke, but I wouldn't trust any Lawler-spawn as far as I could throw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Scotty always seems a stand-up bloke, but I wouldn't trust any Lawler-spawn as far as I could throw it.

I'm pretty sure I read they all had a fallen out in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Del Rio is jacked compared with his last stint in WWE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Is John Cena going to come back and take the United States Championship back from him soon?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Del Rio is jacked compared with his last stint in WWE

He looked weirdly thin last night. Almost too skinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Right, not sure where to put this but putting this out there.

It is something I've been dying to to for some time but hadn't had the time or the efforts. I'd admit it is a bit sad but please see below the mail I sent to the Department for Transport, Sport and Tourism this evening. Also sent it on to FailteIreland and Tourism Ireland. Two chances of an Irish/European Mania but feck it, if you are not in you can'twin :pac::pac::pac::cool::cool::cool:

A proposal to court, and potentially, host a large WWE PPV event in Ireland
    Shagnastii| XXXX | XXXXX | Co. Dublin ________________________________________
    To
    Minister Paschal Donohoe
    C/O Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
    Transport House,
    44 Kildare Street,
    Dublin 2

Dear Paschal,
    I am unsure how to address this correspondence. I may seem like something a young kid would write after finishing a Santa letter but I am quite serious about the idea and would love for you and your colleagues to hear my two cents. I am a lifetime fan of pro wrestling and as much as this may seem naff I wouldn't composed such a proposal if I thought the idea was complete pie in the sky.

I write this message on the back of seeing so many successful ventures which have highlighted the fact that there is a strong potential to bring large worldwide sporting events to Ireland. These give us a great opportunity to showcase our amazing sporting facilities, to show off Ireland on a worldwide scale and to inject a colossal amount of revenue for hotels, pubs, shops within the country. All worthy things to look for. I believe the WWE are chewing at the bit to stage a large stadium event within Europe (they haven't since 1992) and I suggesting why not put our hand up and show them what we have to offer.

I am sure you are aware of the truly unique phenomenon that is Pro-wrestling and the main name in the sport, the WWE. WWE are a global sports entertainment company. It is a terrible thing to assume ones ignorance towards something but I can only guess you wouldn't believe the scale of the WWE's operations and how familiar it is to billions worldwide. It recent years they have been selling out Americas largest stadiums and arenas with their PPV shows.

They (the WWE) visit the 3Arena twice yearly which is always fantastically received and have previously hosted Live event (untelevised it must be noted) in the RDS which was attended by 22,000 people. I don't doubt for a second that "WWE's Superbowl" Wrestlemania could find a perfect home in Croke Park, The Aviva or even a return to the RDS. That said, with our reliably rainy weather an early spring event may not suit but it's second flagship PPV Summerslam (previously held in Wembley in 1992) could be more desired by the company. If twenty odd thousand Irish WWE fans could claim the hill 16 you can guarantee the thousands, if not millions of fans based in the UK and on the continent would travel in great numbers.

There is no better time to jump on this idea to be honest. The owner of the company always sees himself as a very proud Irish-American and I know he would love to bring his company to Ireland for a World Cup like week of events. The WWE roster has never had so many Irish people on it, Finn Balor, Becky Lynch and the WWE champion Sheamus.

It would make my life and every other Irish wrestling fans' life to see the "greatest event in the world" being hosted in Ireland. But even discarding the pure dream of it all- from a tourism and economic stand point inviting the WWE to host a large event here in Ireland could mean so much to so many. I would love to hear what you think.
    http://corporate.wwe.com/

Yours sincerely,

Shagnastii.

Any one that wants to tweak it and send it to Borris over in London. Please, be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

1 error in an other marvelous and absolutely ballsy letter, (I wouldn't have composed instead of I wouldn't composed)

hopefully you get a reply back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

would be very easy for them to push back the UK/European tour dates to incorporate the go home show, and then have either Extreme Rules or Survivor Series here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A proposal to court, and potentially, host a large WWE PPV event in Ireland
    Shagnastii| XXXX | XXXXX | Co. Dublin ________________________________________
    To
    Minister Paschal Donohoe
    C/O Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
    Transport House,
    44 Kildare Street,
    Dublin 2

Dear Paschal, Right way to address a minister?
    I am unsure how to address this correspondence. It may seem like something a young kid would write after finishing a Santa letter but I am quite serious about the idea and would love for you and your colleagues to hear my two cents. I am a lifetime fan of pro wrestling and as much as this may seem naff I wouldn't compose such a proposal if I thought the idea was complete pie in the sky.

I write this message on the back of seeing so many successful ventures which have highlighted the fact that there is a strong potential to bring large worldwide sporting events to Ireland. These give us a great opportunity to showcase our amazing sporting facilities, to show off Ireland on a worldwide scale and to inject a colossal amount of revenue for hotels, pubs and shops within the country. All worthy things to look for. I believe the WWE are chewing at the bit to stage a large stadium event within Europe (they haven't since 1992) and I wondering why not/suggesting we put our hand up and show them what we have to offer.

I am sure you are aware of the truly unique phenomenon that is Pro-wrestling and the main name in the sport, the WWE. WWE is a global sports entertainment company. It is a terrible thing to assume one's ignorance towards something but I can only guess you wouldn't believe the scale of the WWE's operations and how familiar it is to billions worldwide. In recent years they have been selling out America's largest stadiums and arenas with their PPV shows.

They (the WWE) visit the 3Arena twice yearly which is always fantastically received and have previously hosted a Live event (untelevised it must be noted) in the RDS which was attended by 22,000 people. I don't doubt for a second that "WWE's Superbowl" Wrestlemania could find a perfect home in Croke Park, The Aviva or even a return to the RDS. That said, with our reliably rainy weather an early spring event may not suit but its second flagship PPV Summerslam (previously held in Wembley in 1992) could be more desired by the company. If twenty odd thousand Irish WWE fans could claim the hill 16 you can guarantee the thousands, if not tens of thousands of fans based in the UK and on the continent would travel in great numbers.

There is no better time to jump on this idea to be honest. The owner of the company always sees himself as a very proud Irish-American and I know he would love to bring his company to Ireland for a World Cup like week of events. The WWE roster has never had so many Irish people on it, Finn Balor, Becky Lynch and the WWE champion Sheamus.

It would make my life and every other Irish wrestling fan's life to see the "greatest event in the world" being hosted in Ireland. But even discarding the pure dream of it all- from a tourism and economic stand point inviting the WWE to host a large event here in Ireland could mean so much to so many. I would love to hear what you think.
    http://corporate.wwe.com/

Yours sincerely,

Shagnastii.

Just a few suggested changes. Didn't bother with punctuation changes. :)

A couple suggestions to add are:
    1. Maybe highlight something like the recent UFC fight night as well as an example of something similar. You've mentioned the Live but maybe something that was televised.

2. You spend most of the time selling it to him, but only state what you want him to do in one place and that's the "Put our hands up" line. Maybe be more clear in what you're looking for. It's clear to us but he could just look and say "Sounds good, but what do you want me to do?"

Great job with it, since it's definitely something I wouldn't do or probably even think of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Ehhh, I can see them doing something akin to Beast in the East, or the recent MSG house show, but not a full time PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I can also see them hosting one of those specials over here (more likely in England though) but using it to gauge how a European PPV would fare to American audiences. With PPVs being available to watch on demand on the Network as soon as they start then I don't think timezones should be as big of an issue to WWE's North American fanbase as they were a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Shagnasti fair play for even thinking of writing a letter/email even suggesting such an event to a minister and tourism board.

I do think you need to get some figures into though about the tens of thousands of E.U. citizens who travel to WM each year. Also figures for attendances to tv tapings every year in Manchester, London and Birmingham/Sheffield and how many travel to the U.K. just for those shows. To even catch their attention you will need examples of £,€ made from hosting such events.

Also mention how cities in North America now petition to host WM each year similar to the Superbowl. Even go so far as to mention the popularity of ICW in Scotland and how a home grown promotion is now selling out the biggest arenas in Scotland. Really push wrestling as a € making industry. Hell, Id even mention the wide variety of websites, podcasts and newsletters dedicated to just pro wrestling. Sell it to them as if they have never even heard of WWE.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

And on top of what Lee said, put in over the last five years how much each city's economy benefits from having a Wrestlemania. Best of luck with it.

Just to add, also mention all the week long activities that can be arranged around a major event. Charity golf tournament, wrestler 5 a side soccer with fans, radio interviews, tv specials maybe, spelling comp for kids, fan axxess etc. Dont assume they know anything, assume they have total ignorance to the whole thing. If it turns into a 5 page suggestion so be it. Good luck with it

Random thought. With Zeb and Del Rio doing the Mex America thing Id like to see Zeb as a proper old school Bobby Heenan type manager. Give him his own Heenan Family type crew with Del Rio as his mainstay Rick Rude top guy in the group. Give him a tag team say Dawson and Wilder from NXT, and maybe one other permanent roster member lets say Neville just cos I cant think of anybody else. Anyway Id use Zeb and his "family" as a way to chase a babyface with a title say Dean Ambrose as IC champ. First Neville cant beat him, then Del Rio gets beaten 2-1 over a series of 3 one on one matches. So Zeb has to start bringing in outside guys like say Carlito for a 2 month run and when he cant do it they turn on him and hes gone from tv again. Then say John Morrison, James Storm, Shelton Benjamin, Drew McIntyre, Austin Aries, Chris Masters etc can be brought in and cycled through. It keeps the midcard fresh and means matches dont get a chance to become repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

This week I watched a half hour of RAW and decided to delete the rest from my Sky box. Some weeks I don't even bother putting it on & just delete it later in the week. This is coming from a person who only 2-3 years ago watched every RAW live, looked up Smackdown almost every week & was essentially at peak WWE interest since 2001-2004. Judging off the tiny size of RAW & Smackdown threads the last few months I think it's safe to assume I'm not alone. I actually find this quite depressing considering how many great moments & memories WWE has given me. Even moreso because they've brought this decline on themselves with terrible writing, restrictive scripted promos & commentary, a complete lack of psychology and selling, and mostly the poor booking which has led to one of the most talented rosters I can remember having the least amount of full-time star power in 20 years. There's no point to this post, just something that's been annoying me for a while but has had the cracks papered over by Lesnar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Not enough Brad Maddox, that's the problem.

It is insane the amount of talented guys and gals they have at their disposal doing absolutely nothing. Over the past month I have seen more fresh ideas on this forum than I have seen in WWE for the last 5 years. At this stage its almost funny to see how low things need to go before a change is made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

LeeJM wrote: »
    It is insane the amount of talented guys and gals they have at their disposal doing absolutely nothing. Over the past month I have seen more fresh ideas on this forum than I have seen in WWE for the last 5 years. At this stage its almost funny to see how low things need to go before a change is made.

But it's Vince McMahon damn it. He's a wrestling genius and in his mind he knows best and like cm punk said the yes men won't tell Vince he's wrong. We hear about the talent being on egg shells and not being able to say no to an idea that clearly doesn't work.

This leads to talent getting a character that doesn't connect with the audience as the character is crap or the talent doesn't believe in it. Vince et al then see it not working and the person gets buried or not used.

My take on it is if the talent doing the character doesn't believe what they are doing or saying then how in the hell will the audience in the arena or the people at home believe it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

For all of the things they do wrong, I still think they do a lot of things right as well. Their booking of Brock Lesnar over the last few years has been great more or less. NXT is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

For all of the things they do wrong, I still think they do a lot of things right as well. Their booking of Brock Lesnar over the last few years has been great more or less. NXT is very good.

I just think Brock as a person helps how to be booked and Heyman helps him huge. Nxt is great because Vince has none or very little input in it bar writing the cheques for the wrestlers to get paid,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's been very easy to book for Lesnar because he has a part time schedule. It works for him to be a part timer because every time he wrestles it feels like something special to tune into. Plus he's not over exposed or on the card all the time, so fans won't tire of his as easily. If he were on the card full time, people would get sick of him eventually.

That being said, I was getting a bit worried about Lesnar before he ended Undertaker's streak. He had only a few matches to his name at the time, two of which he lost which was to Cena and HHH. If he had lost to Undertaker too, I think it would have really done him in a bit. That along with squashing Cena allowed him to make a comeback, and be shown as the monster he's supposed to be.

On top of everything else pointed out above, Brock Lesnar is not going to do anything Brock Lesnar doesnt wanna do. And I'd guess he has Paul Heyman filtering everything thats put in front of him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

They've probably got the best roster on the books they've had since the end of WCW when they had the likes of Hogan, Steiner, Goldberg, Flair, Nash, Ultimo, Radicals , Rey and others , Obviously the names aren't big

But the talent level is there to surpass them , I understand they can't put over everyone and there is a business demographic they have to aim for , But they have the roster to put on almost 5 star matches every week even with all the injuries at the moment there's still a fantastic group of guys bursting with talent

The problem ......No one has any clue how to write a wrestling show and ....some of those same guys are tied down by said writing , Before we had no tag division now we have loads but none of them are near the dudleys and new day's level

The midcard ......has absolutely no character there all the same ,what's there motivations etc Ryback, Ziggler, Barrett have all been threading the same water for the last 2 years who are they ? and why are they wrestlers simple characters questions that no one probably knows what makes them compelling these are questions that creative and the talent should be getting together and asking them selves when writing shows

The top ....If it wasn't for the shield guys WWE would be screwed , Sheamus is a weird one aswell he defo looks like a champion , but what's he done to deserve it really , hes vanilla and in more ways than one , At least Reigns as much as people like to hate on him has a decent backstory of being constantly screwed out of the title

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

A musical chairs segment featuring the trombone with New Day to set up a chairs match at TLC has to happen. Such a great idea by John Pollock.
    I tend to listen to Review a Raw now instead of wasting my time and even basic electricity on recording Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

At least Reigns as much as people like to hate on him has a decent backstory of being constantly screwed out of the title

Is it decent though? Or is it just a lazy, transparent effort at making him sympathetic?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is it decent though? Or is it just a lazy, transparent effort at making him sympathetic?

Yeah, it's like they did a copy & paste on what they did to Daniel Bryan. They just forgot that the audience loved Bryan *before* he started getting screwed over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

plus they really overstated how much he was screwed out of the title pre Survivor series. Bray cost him the MITB not the title and Seth cashed in at mania.

So literally there was only 1 title match where something happened to stop him from becoming champ and even if it hadn't of happened he still had to beat Brock freakin Lesnar!

Wrestling fans are often treated like idiots but they also watch the product and know when the shows narrative and reality don't properly converge so as to force something. If they would just stop forcing him on people the fans might come around to him, although at this stage they have probably gone too far on it and only a heel turn would win the fans over as they would appreciate being able to hate on him and how good a heel he can be as a result. Meanwhile the company have been working for so long to get him over as a face they probably wouldn't even contemplate turning him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement