Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

one thing I've never gotten is why when a wrestler picks up an injury, they still finish the match.
    taking Rollins for example, he still did the bucklebomb spot and it may well have made things worse than it would have been.
    is there a rule within WWE that they have to finish the match?
    wrestlers should be able to go down, and even call for the EMT themselves.
    the veil has been well and truly lifted, and it's not as if there's any benefit in pretending to be okay, just to be announced as injured via the WWE website less than 24 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

one thing I've never gotten is why when a wrestler picks up an injury, they still finish the match.
    taking Rollins for example, he still did the bucklebomb spot and it may well have made things worse than it would have been.
    is there a rule within WWE that they have to finish the match?
    wrestlers should be able to go down, and even call for the EMT themselves.
    the veil has been well and truly lifted, and it's not as if there's any benefit in pretending to be okay, just to be announced as injured via the WWE website less than 24 hours later.

Matches can be stopped if the doctor at ringside stops it if it's clear one of the wrestlers is injured badly. As to why wrestlers finish matches even if hurt, it's probably a pride thing as even though fans know it's not real the wrestlers want to be seen as being legit tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It's pride due to being a fake wrestler. Seriously, it's this insecurity about wrestling being predetermined which leads to repeatedly having to prove just how tough you are and further injure yourself in the process. It wouldn't happen in a legitimate sport. Like I'm sure Aitch could've returned from his quad tear a few months earlier if he didn't bloody finish the match and take a Walls of Jericho right afterwards! It's the mentality of a wrestler, like Kennedy seeing his peers drop dead around him and advocate the use of steroids, saying it should be their own decision :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Adrenaline, in the moment, not consciously realising how hurt they are can play a part I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That's why I said Decent ...i didn't say good, as much as all the hate he got for winning the rumble , I actually enjoyed his performance against Lesnar and was kind of pissed off at the time that Lesnar or Reigns didn't win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's pride due to being a fake wrestler. Seriously, it's this insecurity about wrestling being predetermined which leads to repeatedly having to prove just how tough you are and further injure yourself in the process. It wouldn't happen in a legitimate sport. Like I'm sure Aitch could've returned from his quad tear a few months earlier if he didn't bloody finish the match and take a Walls of Jericho right afterwards! It's the mentality of a wrestler, like Kennedy seeing his peers drop dead around him and advocate the use of steroids, saying it should be their own decision :(

This. A thousand times this. Nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Heading along to my fourth OTT show tomorrow. Can. Not. Wait.

Talking OTT/Irish scene, me and my mates always comment on how crap it is that Luther Ward never got called up to the main roster. Would have loved to have seen what would have been.

The guy looks like a million bucks, can go in the ring and he now has his gimmick perfectly formed without a single flaw. Would have been fantastic to see the gimmick played out on the likes of Raw, Smackdown or even NXT.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I see Brooke left TNA. Wouldn't mind seeing her back in WWE tbh, she's come a hell of a long way since Extreme Exposé.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

LeeJM wrote: »
    On top of everything else pointed out above, Brock Lesnar is not going to do anything Brock Lesnar doesnt wanna do. And I'd guess he has Paul Heyman filtering everything thats put in front of him anyway.
    Is he just friendly with Paul Heyman or do they have a legit business relationship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Is he just friendly with Paul Heyman or do they have a legit business relationship?

I dunno if its a "legit" business relationship but they are definitely more than just friendly. The way Id see it is, if Brock was The Godfather Paul E. would be his consigliere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I dunno if its a "legit" business relationship but they are definitely more than just friendly. The way Id see it is, if Brock was The Godfather Paul E. would be his consigliere.

i think thats the perfect way to describe it almost like a agent of sorts

I know they co-wrote Death Clutch outside of WWE. Did Heyman have UFC involvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Bit of a random one here but I suppose this is the right thread for it.

Just watched an episode of NWA WCW from 1985 (one that was in the build up to the Starrcade event of that year). Without wanting to sound like Jim Cornette (who was actually on the show in question) but damn when you see the difference between the product presented then to the product now you don't half kick yourself that you weren't a fan back in that time. In my opinion it was everything a wrestling show should be. It clocked in at an hour and 15 minutes (probably just the right amount of time for a weekly pro wrestling show), almost every match on the show involved a featured wrestler and an enhancement talent, the matches were kept brief and on commentary their stories were explained and discussed. The variety of guys who were given time on the mic would shock any fan who only knows the current WWE product, every guy had something going on, everyone had a motivation for what they were doing. The way these guys were presented, the way the titles were presented, the prestige of the NWA Heavyweight Title that Flair so perfectly got across, the sheer bloody seriousness everything that happened on this show was treated with, no sniggering, no winks to the camera, no camp humour or ridiculous escapades, what you got was the sense that everything mattered, that you absolutely had to go out of your way to watch Starrcade to see these guys finally get their hands on eachother, what you got was wrestling!

I only say this because Raw has gradually become more and more unbearable and that's been reflected in the ratings. If the crowd don't like what you are giving them (and clearly they don't) then you need to give them something else. This was such a simply show, the format was simple and some of the ideas behind it were simple. You don't overexpose your guys, you very rarely have featured guys wrestle eachother for free on tv, you give your guys a bit of creative freedom, you give them the time to develop their character and explain what their motivations are. You ended this show having not given away a single new matchup (compare that to modern day WWE where it feels like we've seen every conceivable pairing between the full time roster) and you left thinking that Flair vs Dusty Rhodes and Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard were the biggest matches ever!

Realistically speaking you probably can never go back to that format. Nitro and the Attitude Era pretty much killed all of that stuff. I suppose with the death of kayfabe you probably couldn't take a segment where a doctor talks about how this new cast and boot will help Dusty Rhodes with his injury in his match with Flair, and I guess if a guy like Ole Anderson got on the mic now he'd be laughed out of it by some fans and Vince through his team of puppets on commentary, all of that is a real shame but that's just the world we live in. I do believe though there are still things you could take from the past and use today, how the wrestlers are presented, how the titles are presented, less long tv matches between featured guys, giving each match a story and giving the characters a reason to be involved in that story. It's basic storytelling really but it's exactly those basic aspects of storytelling that have been drained from the WWE product over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I miss Jack Swaggers "All American American" gimmick. I thought it let him show tonnes more personality than his boring, all serious all the time "real american" character. Back then he was a goofy, Biff Tannen-esque type of heel who could kick someones ass in the ring. I genuinely thought back then that he was a future main eventer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    I miss Jack Swaggers "All American American" gimmick. I thought it let him show tonnes more personality than his boring, all serious all the time "real american" character. Back then he was a goofy, Biff Tannen-esque type of heel who could kick someones ass in the ring. I genuinely thought back then that he was a future main eventer.

I'm a big fan of Swagger too. I think he has it all, but I fear Vince she's his lisp as a reason to hold him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I though the lisp perfectly suited the all american american gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The Jack Swagger I miss is the Don't Tread on me Swagger with Dutch as his mouthpiece. A fantastically delivered idea that would have been more than credible if shifted towards the WWE title ranks.

Got sh1tcanned for obvious reasons but I'd certainly view it as one of the best produced turns/gimmicks of recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

With Becky seemingly starting a feud with Charlotte on Raw, there's a chance we might have 3 Irish champs in WWE at the same time.

Would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ShagNastii wrote: »
    The Jack Swagger I miss is the Don't Tread on me Swagger with Dutch as his mouthpiece. A fantastically delivered idea that would have been more and credible if shifted towards the WWE title ranks.

Got sh1tcanned for obvious reasons but I'd recently view it as one of the best produced turns/gimmicks of recent years.

Agree, he looked really good with the hair flopping down over his face and the kinda outdoors deliverance type attire he had on. Really intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Not purely a wrestling thought but a wrestling forum thought and I couldn't find a feedback thread

Is there anything that can be done in the memes thread to limit the size of animated gifs? Someone posts a large gif and the thread becomes almost unusable because the page will take minutes to load and spends the time jumping about in the process

I haven't bothered going into that thread on mobile in a few months but now I'm not even sure about desktop

Which is a shame because there is usually great content in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

x43r0 wrote: »
    Not purely a wrestling thought but a wrestling forum thought and I couldn't find a feedback thread

Is there anything that can be done in the memes thread to limit the size of animated gifs? Someone posts a large gif and the thread becomes almost unusable because the page will take minutes to load and spends the time jumping about in the process

I haven't bothered going into that thread on mobile in a few months but now I'm not even sure about desktop

Which is a shame because there is usually great content in there

I do be guilty of this sometimes. Mainly because i'm posting off mobile 99% of the time myself, and have no idea of the gif sizes (i think the mobile site optimizes pics and gifs to suit mobile devices)

Bubba you took the words right out of my mouth. I find that thread takes ages to load if there's a few gifs already posted on the page I'm opening. I don't think we can make people stop posting them though really, can we? They are usually all worth seeing once they've loaded up as well, which is something at least. I always just assumed my computer was too crap or my internet connection wasn't strong enough to load them any faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

sky88 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I read they all had a fallen out in the last couple of years.

I'm not saying Rikishi should have name checked Scotty and Brian and given them glowing tributes, but he could have at least mentioned the tag team as something he was a part of. Let's face it - without it, he would have been a footnote of the AE like Tiger Ali Singh. If that was the first time seeing Rikishi, you'd think the gimmick was wholly his. A little acknowledgement isn't much to ask, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Endaaaagh wrote: »

Thought that was his best stuff by a long way too. When he'd say facts about himself and tell the crowd to look it up because it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ric Flair being compared to Pokemon on Review a Raw was hilarious. PIKA-Wooo :pac::pac:

HSe3odurwOo5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Whilst i understand timing is everything and title picture etc.... but does it not seem that WWE is a month too late for this faction vs faction gimmick considering that Survivor Series was created for Faction vs Faction matches - The League of Nations and the Family(WORST FACTION NAME EVER-CLASS WRITING SKILLS RIGHT THERE)..... but what do i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Whilst i understand timing is everything and title picture etc.... but does it not seem that WWE is a month too late for this faction vs faction gimmick considering that Survivor Series was created for Faction vs Faction matches - The League of Nations and the Family(WORST FACTION NAME EVER-CLASS WRITING SKILLS RIGHT THERE)..... but what do i know!

Are reigns ambrose and the usos been called the family? i must have missed this. whoever it is its not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

sky88 wrote: »
    Are reigns ambrose and the usos been called the family? i must have missed this. whoever it is its not good.

apparently thats what there going to go with.... Ambrose and Reigns are like brothers.... Like.... Step Brothers..... Adopted Brothers.... Not really brothers at all... Crap Name for them! As much as the League of Nations name wasnt exactly worked on for months but much better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

apparently thats what there going to go with.... Ambrose and Reigns are like brothers.... Like.... Step Brothers..... Adopted Brothers....

Reminded me of this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Just a few random ideas for shaking up WWE maybe get some discussion going. First with Smackdown going to USA Network in January I hope they have invested in a new stage to differentiate it from Raw and also a few different camera positions so it can be shot differently. Another little thing would be to print the Smackdown logo onto the canvas. A neat little thing that would stand out but I believe Vince isnt a fan of printed canvases.

For Raw Id love to see a new set also but cant see that happening while Kevin Dunn still has some stroke. Id take Bryon Saxton off the Raw commentary team and replace him with Corey Graves and have him become the main heel announcer and slowly move JBL in the Jerry Lawler style face colour commentator role just without shouting puppies every 15 seconds.

Instead of every interview with Renee being a pre tape backstage Id copy what WCW did with Mean Gene and have her interview people on the stage. Would help keep the live crowd engaged while not burning them out.

And lastly a real pet hate, stop having everyone always be in their ring gear or merch! Let them appear in suits or jeans or tracksuit bottoms and wear normal tshirts just like normal people would. Especially annoying when a returning star at the end of a show runs out in their ring gear. Did they drive to the arena dressed like that?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement