Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

They're dressed like that so people will see the merchandise and buy it. Can't see WWE budging on that one too much. They are experts at branding and making money off of the images of their workers. I'd imagine a lot of the talent are probably glad to wear t-shirts if they have them also because it can often show the audience that they're in reasonably good standing, that they have merchandise for their act. It must be frustrating for some of the wrestlers to see how much of a share of their merchandise some of the bigger names get and also how frequently the t-shirt designs change for the likes of John Cena, Kevin Owens, Randy Orton, Daniel Bryan etc. I know that's just one issue you brought up but the placement of merchandise is something I'm very interested in not only in wrestling. I think that wrestlers and people involved in sports are the only people who can wear their own stuff and get away with it, so they might as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I understand why its done. I wasnt arguing that point, its just all very samey when EVERYONE does it. It would make a nice change to see say Wade Barrett come out for a promo in a pair of jeans and a Manic Street Preachers tshirt just as an example.

I agree with you there, and I didn't think you were arguing any point. But I couldn't see them moving away from it when it's basically their way of advertising WWE Shop constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Though at the same time, why would a heel want to advertise merchandise if he's meant to be hated by people?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Though at the same time, why would a heel want to advertise merchandise if he's meant to be hated by people?

Absolutely mate.

• Advertisement

I counter that with, do people realise how absurd it is for smarks to give out about heels? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

LeeJM wrote: »
    I understand why its done. I wasnt arguing that point, its just all very samey when EVERYONE does it. It would make a nice change to see say Wade Barrett come out for a promo in a pair of jeans and a Manic Street Preachers tshirt just as an example.

Was one of the things I really liked about the Attitude era. The Rock in shirts no other person on the planet would get away with, Austin in hunting gear, and Raven' comic shirts were something I looked forward to spotting every week. It made it feel a lot more spontaneous.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Was one of the things I really liked about the Attitude era. The Rock in shirts no other person on the planet would get away with, Austin in hunting gear, and Raven' comic shirts were something I looked forward to spotting every week. It made it feel a lot more spontaneous.

Exactly what I mean and it never hurt Rocks merch sales. Everyone is just so samey now. Not to pick on him but Roman Reigns now wrestles with his tshirt over his bullet proof vest, just so blatant a shill tactic. Ric Flair is synonymous with wearing expensive suits and robes. Piper had his kilt. Bret had his leather jacket. Cesaro and Kidd had the right idea with the headphones. Its only a little thing but it stood out. More guys and gals need to be doing things like that while not constantly dressed in their own merch. I mean if I had my own merch I wouldnt be wearing it constantly. If I played for Man Utd I wouldnt walk around in a jersey with my name on it.

I counter that with, do people realise how absurd it is for smarks to give out about heels? :)

Ha! It's a very weird one. I guess it's successful manufactured heat vs heat born out of the creative team's incompetence. With WWE having such a lack of kayfabe, I guess the only true gauge is if it helps or hurts business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Do you not remember how boring Punk used to look and cheap when he used come out dressed in hoodies every week especially when he was the WWE champion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

To be fair Punk's basically a tramp.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Ha! It's a very weird one. I guess it's successful manufactured heat vs heat born out of the creative team's incompetence. With WWE having such a lack of kayfabe, I guess the only true gauge is if it helps or hurts business.
    When people give out about Sheamus I'm just thinking to myself, "that's the idea...." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It just hit me now, and not really a random thought per se, but yesterday marked 6 years since Umaga passed away..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Maybe Reigns is actually a decoy to make us all love Cena again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It just hit me now, and not really a random thought per se, but yesterday marked 6 years since Umaga passed away..

My favourite big man ever. It seemed like he could legit kill you! RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yea his feud with Jeff Hardy was fantastic i found they ruined him a little when they took Estrada off him who himself was another awesome character

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

CSF wrote: »
    Maybe Reigns is actually a decoy to make us all love Cena again.....

The great faces of WWF/E history have had organic rises. Even McMahon should know somewhere in his egomaniacal mind, and Triple H too, that the guy you pick as your next top face doesn't really pan out. Ask Lashley and Luger. It would seem a lot easier just to sit back, let one guy get himself over and then get the machine behind him, rather than making these pained and obvious attempts to force a 'chosen one' down people's throats.

I have talked recently about setting up different divisions for certain WWE Titles and that they dont need a new title just some structure etc. Im just listening to Voices of Wrestling and this idea popped into my head. Considering Zach Sabre Jr seems to be the hottest thing in the Indys right now with his so called "grapplefúck" style, now would be the perfect time to introduce a WWE Pure Wrestling type title, basically rip of RoHs Pure title from the mid 00's.

WWE have a tonne of guys who would excel at this style and would give their midcard a fresh look. Guys like Tyson Kidd, Ceasro, Daniel Bryan, Jack Swagger, Neville, Dolph Ziggler, Stardust, Tyler Breeze and then plenty more down in NXT have technical wrestling styles or backgrounds in amateur wrestling etc. Instead of doing a Cruiserweight, X Division style title this would be a way to embrace what "hardcore" fans are crazy about right now while not labeling a whole division as being lesser than the rest of your midcard like a Cruiser title would.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just after watching Smackdown
    So after introducing the League of Nations on Monday, they've already made them irrelevant within a week by having them be defeated single handedly. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

LeeJM wrote: »
    I have talked recently about setting up different divisions for certain WWE Titles and that they dont need a new title just some structure etc. Im just listening to Voices of Wrestling and this idea popped into my head. Considering Zach Sabre Jr seems to be the hottest thing in the Indys right now with his so called "grapplefúck" style, now would be the perfect time to introduce a WWE Pure Wrestling type title, basically rip of RoHs Pure title from the mid 00's.

WWE have a tonne of guys who would excel at this style and would give their midcard a fresh look. Guys like Tyson Kidd, Ceasro, Daniel Bryan, Jack Swagger, Neville, Dolph Ziggler, Stardust, Tyler Breeze and then plenty more down in NXT have technical wrestling styles or backgrounds in amateur wrestling etc. Instead of doing a Cruiserweight, X Division style title this would be a way to embrace what "hardcore" fans are crazy about right now while not labeling a whole division as being lesser than the rest of your midcard like a Cruiser title would.

I'm not too big on the idea of creating a new championship based on pure wrestling alone. I like variety with titles, and being able to see different styles. Plus didn't ROH eventually discontinue the championship anyway?

Besides, I strongly believe that if WWE would give the I.C Championship more emphasis and turn it back into the workers belt that it used to be. Give wrestlers more time in their matches, and just let them go all out in their matches. It would give all those wrestlers like Cesaro and Bryan a platform to push their abilities to the best they can perform. But I suspect WWE doesn't want that because they wouldn't want their I.C Championship contenders making their Main Eventers look bad by comparison.

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I'm not too big on the idea of creating a new championship based on pure wrestling alone. I like variety with titles, and being able to see different styles. Plus didn't ROH eventually discontinue the championship anyway?

Besides, I strongly believe that if WWE would give the I.C Championship more emphasis and turn it back into the workers belt that it used to be. Give wrestlers more time in their matches, and just let them go all out in their matches. It would give all those wrestlers like Cesaro and Bryan a platform to push their abilities to the best they can perform. But I suspect WWE doesn't want that because they wouldn't want their I.C Championship contenders making their Main Eventers look bad by comparison.

Im not sure how in the year 2015 you can say WWE dont let their talent go all out in their matches and dont give them enough time? 2015 from an in ring stand point is the best year in WWE's history. Storyline wise its sucked donkey balls, but in ring has been excellent and Cesaro, Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens have all been a huge part of that.

And yes RoH did merge their Pure Title with their World Title in 2005 I think but that Title helped make Nigel McGuiness who alongside Bryan Danielson was RoHs biggest star of the mid 00's. And fans had grown bored of the Pure Title by then. But now on the Indys its all about guys like Zach Sabre and Chris Hero doing this grapple heavy submission based style. One big complaint with WWE is they are slow to catch on to whats trendy. A "Pure" Title would tap into what these fans like. It would create some buzz. They could do a tournament over a 2 month period with just one match on each Raw and Smackdown and build to the Final on a PPV. Talk about guys are adjusting their style, incorporating more subs, talk about the guys with legit wrestling backgrounds. Not only does it create different style matches but gives a chance to flesh out some characters with minimal effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just after watching Smackdown
    So after introducing the League of Nations on Monday, they've already made them irrelevant within a week by having them be defeated single handedly. Why?

I'll play WWE advocate here and say,
    it was a 'weak' underdog type victory, rather than Roman easily overpowering them all. He could not get a pinfall victory over four men and so slid into the ring just before the ten count.

As I say, WWE advocate, but I do think that people are being a bit OTT in their reaction. If Austin did it in the AE, it wouldn't get half the scorn.

They're making it look one way because it's going to probably go the opposite at Tables, Ladders & Chairs. I don't think it should be happening because these supposed swerves, week on week off booking patterns that they have don't really surprise anyone watching regularly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I kinda want Charlotte to go away. She should have been "Charlotte, a talented wrestler who just happens to be Ric Flair's daughter". Instead we got "Ric Flair's daughter, named Charlotte, wooooo!" and there's no sodding reason to be interested in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Angron wrote: »
    I kinda want Charlotte to go away. She should have been "Charlotte, a talented wrestler who just happens to be Ric Flair's daughter". Instead we got "Ric Flair's daughter, named Charlotte, wooooo!" and there's no sodding reason to be interested in that.

thats what she was on NXT but the minute she came up on the main roster her character was all about being Flairs daughter. It has really hurt her and the crowds reactions to her and thats why this heel turn is needed to breed some life into her character.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

But it's not really breathing life into the character when it's just rehashing her father's shtick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

But it's not really breathing life into the character when it's just rehashing her father's shtick too.

I think thats a fair point. i would get rid of the strut and woo she does to make it different. also initally she didnt use the figure 4/8 i would go back her old finisher the bow down to the queen that she used.

I completely agree. I think it's a case of "Vince doesn't watch NXT, so all of her solo character means nothing". She gets called up, Vince pushes her on default mode, which is Dustin Rhodes ala 1991, "I'm my father's child"

dustydustin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The Boards Draft is almost here! Easily my favourite time on PW Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Roman Reigns makes me want to turn the TV off and hope John Cena comes back soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement